E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
mpho.kutumela

My Ride: 330i
Question Belt Tensioner

Hi,

How many belt tensioners are in an E46 engine?
mpho.kutumela is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
There are two...on the AC belt and the Accessory belt. Each has a replaceable pulley. You'll have either two hydraulic tensioners or one hydraulic and one mechanical. Although the pulley size is the same, their design is different. If one is bad, you should replace both, as they've spun the same number of times.

Also, if doing them, also do the Idler pulley.

Typically, tensioners themselves don't go bad...but check the belt. If it's hopping up and down, replace the tensioner also just to be safe.

HTH

Oh, realoem.com for your PNs.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
Suseer

My Ride: Cayman S

Heres also a video on how to change them (or the general idea)

I'll be doing this in a few weeks/month when it gets closer to take mine out of storage!
Suseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
325kev

My Ride: 03 325i 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
There are two...on the AC belt and the Accessory belt. Each has a replaceable pulley. You'll have either two hydraulic tensioners or one hydraulic and one mechanical.
2 hydraulic tensioners??? I thought it was 2 mechanical or 1 hydraulic and 1 mechanical. My car has 1 of each, but I've never seen a hydraulic AC belt tensioner...
325kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
dmax

I haven't either, but I'm pretty sure at some point, they shifted to all hydraulic. I have one of each also. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the newer models shifted to all hydraulic...maybe not. You have to look, OP. I don't know what you have.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 03-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
325kev

My Ride: 03 325i 5MT
I agree with dmax - get in there and take a look at what you've got. It is the only way you'll know for sure. With the hydraulic accessory tensioner, you can replace the pulley itself, not sure you can do this for a mechanical trensioner. Most folks replace the whole mechanical tensioner itself.
But he's also right in his previous post that you should replace the idler/deflection pulley while in there, as it is probably bad too...
325kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
dmax

You can get a pulley for the mechanical at Autozone...it's a Dayco brand, maybe sold as duralast, but marked INA. Dayco I know for sure is INA...I may have ordered mine from Advanced...but I'm pretty sure it was Autozone. Many, many threads on this. If you search 89133 and pulley, I think you'll find the PNs for the other pulleys too. I know I wrote one post with that info once...but unfortunately, I know I have too many posts now to make it easy to search me!

Old 03-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Jmhockey1920

My Ride: 2002 325i
Dmax, I was looking to replace my belts/pulleys within the next 2 weeks. I believe I have the hydraulic system(or that is at least what I get from looking my VIN #NG83761 up).

So if I am looking at this right I just need the AC Belt, Serpentine Belt, Idler Pulley, Belt Tensioner Pulley, and AC Belt Tensioner w/pulley. It seems that you have to buy the AC Belt Tensioner w/pulley b.c they do not sell it alone.

Thanks!
Jmhockey1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
dmax

No, you can get the mechanical tensioner pulley by itself...as I said, Dayco.

I'll see if I can find my post on this. Also, of course, you need to verify what tensioner(s) you have...pulleys are different.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
dmax

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...37&postcount=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
BMW makes just the part you need, though Dayco 89133 may work too, Zell.

You have to tell us whether you have mechanical or hydraulic pulley. If hydraulic, I think you have to go OE. Mechanical, Dayco is a perfect match.

Which do you have? No one can give you one part number without knowing what's on your car, though I'm guessing hydraulic...you see a little shock absorber type thingy?

Okay, just went to Dayco, it told me to get PN, I got PN for my car (under engine...you'll see picture of pulleys underneath in graphic mode).

Dayco says 89046 For the AC tensioner pulley alone (this is the mechanical tensioner on mine)
BTW, my bmw pn is 11281748131

Check your pn in realoem and do the same.

Then call local autozone for that, or the

11281748130 is my idler, and it has that listed as 89089

Neat...

Sorry, didn't say, that both my Autozone Dayco and the worldpac both said INA made in a former baltic state!
I'm 99% it was autozone by me that got the 89133 for me, I got the others from Worldpac...if you know a shop that uses it.

Last edited by dmax; 03-13-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
There are two tensioners, one on the main belt and one on the AC belt. The main belt also has an idler pulley that is stationary.

I've not seen the AC belt in any configuration than the mechanical type -- the one with the spring inside.

The main belt comes in the spring type and the hydraulic type.

The hydraulic type allows the replacement of the pulley itself, the spring type requires the spring mechanism and the pulley to be replaced together. The parts breakdowns show the hydraulic type for my '00 323s (I've had 2 of them) and for a friends '00 323. The reality is that all of these cars have the spring type. I ordered the pulley for my friend's car, and could not use it because the car actually had the spring type tensioner. I ordered based on the parts manual, and I shoulda looked first but the car was not here.

So, look before you leap. The tensioner will have signs of rust on the back that you might think comes from the pulley bearing, but it actually comes from the spring and the shaft that the spring is wrapped around.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmhockey1920 View Post
Dmax, I was looking to replace my belts/pulleys within the next 2 weeks. I believe I have the hydraulic system(or that is at least what I get from looking my VIN #NG83761 up).

So if I am looking at this right I just need the AC Belt, Serpentine Belt, Idler Pulley, Belt Tensioner Pulley, and AC Belt Tensioner w/pulley. It seems that you have to buy the AC Belt Tensioner w/pulley b.c they do not sell it alone.

Thanks!
AC belt and tensioner
Main belt, tensioner and idler.

You cannot rely on the VIN for the correct main belt tensioner. Well, maybe you can, but I cannot. My cars are '00, and this is the period when they were making the change. Your car is far enough beyond the change that the parts list should be correct. It's easy enough to look first though. The AC tensioner is the spring type, and if the main belt has a tensioner that looks the same, then it is the spring type as well. The two different kinds of tensioners are remarkably different in appearance, so there should be no question as to which you have.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #13
3 3 0 C i

My Ride: 528xi
I just did this. The hydraulic tensioner pulley is available individually at oembimmerparts. My hydraulic tensioner pulley bearing was shot, but the tensioner is fine.

As far as I know, all the A/C tensioners are mechanical and the serp belt can be mechanical or hydraulic. Both are easy to remove if you know what you're doing.

Here is the link for the pulley I got.

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/catalo...40/4456993.htm

I can't remember if I'm answering a question or not; hope it helps.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #14
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
And I can easily see the reasoning for these choices. The spring tensioner is cheaper to make, but more prone to breaking. Hence using it for A/C where breaking won't leave you stranded is acceptable.
But using the less reliable spring tensioner for the main belt has too much downside risk. Hence the production change for one of these tensioners a long time ago.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote