E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
ramielmas

My Ride: 2003 330CI
Flashing RED LIGHT

Hi Guys,

My soft top is not functioning and red light is blinking at all times. I read the codes at cvm with bmw software and it gave me 3 codes. Open control button permanently active, close control button permanently active and Position switch for main pillar, short circuit to ground. Anyone had this problem with their soft top? Whats the fix for this problem? Now the weather is going to start warming up I want to get this fixes ASAP. Thanks
ramielmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #2
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Start with the main pillar code. Find the sensor, make note of the colours, gain access to the CVM and test for continuity.

If good, then find a local member and swap sensors.

If good... Maybe it's the CVM. Again a local member to swap with would eliminate variables the fastest/easiest.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
ramielmas

Thanks for the reply Taylor192. Mechanicly I could work on anything on the car but electronically I am not good at all. So checking the continuity is something I have never done but maybe I could get someone to look at it for me. Where is the main pillar sensor located do you know it's showing somewhere close to the cvm but I am not sure. Is it like a micro switch or it's a sensor? I am going to try to find someone locally that's in this group and see if they will help me out with swapping the sensor and the cvm. Hopefully someone will be around. Thanks again
Old 04-12-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
CarbonZHP
Because Race...Convertible?

My Ride: used to be an auto
Definitely check continuity. Check it at the module behind the rear driver door 'card'. If you find a broken wire, it will likely be where the top bends above the drivers head. My break was there
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #5
ramielmas

How to check the continuity? The wires by the first bend looked fine visually but didn't check the continuity?
Old 04-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #6
CarbonZHP
Because Race...Convertible?

My Ride: used to be an auto
You unplug the CVM which is behind the 'door card' in the backseat on the drivers side
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:12 PM   #7
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
When my top stops working due to what seems like an electrical problem, I'm not going to bother with continuity tests. I'm going to cut into the harness at the first bend. That seems to more often than not be the trouble area. Sure, there are other problem areas. But that would be the first place I looked. The outer sheaf probably will look fine. The problem seems to be the insulation on the inner wires starts cracking with time. When the insulation cracks the wire keeps bending and bending in the same spot. Eventually it fails. I'd make sure all wires in there were fine before bothering looking elsewhere. When those wires do fail on my car, and liikely they will some day, I'll be looking at options to reroute them. Perhaps they can be rerouted between headliner and outer canvas to reduce bend radius. I'll also start looking for high quality, fine stand, silicone insulated wire to splice in.
Edit: hobby shops that deal with electric cars and planes are a good place to start looking. They sell high quality flexible wire. Not cheap, but you only need a few feet.

Last edited by dknightd; 04-12-2016 at 07:21 PM.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #8
taylor192

Let's try to stay on topic to help the OP.

The main pillar sensor is located near the base of the roof (i.e. Lift the storage lid and rear window to access ) on the driver's side. Check the wires to it for visible damage. Short to ground indicates a wire is touching the frame, or a ground wire,.... Or the sensor failed.

These sensors rarely fail due to their simple design... Yet the short to ground may be indicative of a failed sensor if there is no broken wire that is being grounded.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:30 PM   #9
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Let's try to stay on topic to help the OP.

The main pillar sensor is located near the base of the roof (i.e. Lift the storage lid and rear window to access ) on the driver's side. Check the wires to it for visible damage. Short to ground indicates a wire is touching the frame, or a ground wire,.... Or the sensor failed.

These sensors rarely fail due to their simple design... Yet the short to ground may be indicative of a failed sensor if there is no broken wire that is being grounded.
Thanks Taylor for your help, and input. I had no idea where the pillar sensor was located Probably not a problem with the first bend wiring then
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #10
ramielmas

Thanks guys I will try to see if there is continuity this weekend and check the sensor. I didn't see any broken wires by the first bend but ill also look at the wiring in the storage lid and trace a broken wire if there is any. will update you guys on solution if I resolve the problem. whats the easiest way of finding local members on here do I just create a new thread?
Old 04-13-2016, 10:07 AM   #11
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramielmas View Post
Thanks guys I will try to see if there is continuity this weekend and check the sensor. I didn't see any broken wires by the first bend but ill also look at the wiring in the storage lid and trace a broken wire if there is any. will update you guys on solution if I resolve the problem. whats the easiest way of finding local members on here do I just create a new thread?
There are regional forums, hopefully yours has a lot of posts.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:23 PM   #12
ramielmas

I checked for continuity in the cvm plug. And the whT the results were shocked me. I had continuity on 18-9,17-8,16-7. But on all the rest I had no continuity. The multimeter always read 1. I don't know what is wrong with this top. I replaced the top 2 weeks ago but I still had the same problem. The reason for replacing was I broke one of the latches and the plastic piece was shattered so I purchased a used top from a salvage yard. The problem continues thou even with a different roof. What else can I do? Should I just try to replace the sensor and cvm? Help please
Old 04-14-2016, 06:40 PM   #13
ramielmas

I also check the hydraulic fluid and it was full, but when I change the soft top while disconnecting the lines I didn't get any oil dripping. That also got me confused I should've had some oil coming out of the lines. Now the weather is warming up I need to get this top to work again.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #14
ramielmas

I found this plug in the trunk left side by the tail light. it was not plugged in anywhere, does anyone know where this plug goes? Could this have anything to do with the top not opening?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1362.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	629439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1363.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	629440   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1364.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	629441  
Old 04-15-2016, 11:21 AM   #15
taylor192

I didn't realize you replaced the entire roof, and the error occurred with the old and new roof.

That pretty much eliminates everything except the CVM. Hopefully you can find one to try swapping.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #16
ramielmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
I didn't realize you replaced the entire roof, and the error occurred with the old and new roof.

That pretty much eliminates everything except the CVM. Hopefully you can find one to try swapping.

Yea to problem continues with the new roof also. But it could be the wiring that is going to the CVM by the rear right? I am going to try to find someone so I could swap the CVM see if that fixes my problem. When you check continuity thou do you check like the pin 13/14 or 13/4? the way I checked was I put one side of the multimeter in 13 and the other on 4. and then I did the same for 14 and 5. was that the right way of doing it? If it was the cvm I should be getting some continuity on the plug right?
Old 04-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #17
ramielmas

Now there is no fault code in cvm but the red light still blinking and still can't operate the roof. I have a GM5 fault memory- 000020 GM: General Module V: internal fault processor? What the hell is that mean? Could that be the reason why my roof is not opening? And my outside temperature sensor failed also.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #18
Landlorder

My Ride: 330CI Sport
replace wiring loom !
Old 04-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #19
ramielmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlorder View Post
replace wiring loom !
what do you mean? the whole wiring harness?
Old 04-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #20
Landlorder

My Ride: 330CI Sport
Yes - its old and is damaged now - the top you replaced it with i doubt that wiring was new. Check the forum threads at the top of the convertible section and you willl see instructions on replacing it. ive done it on my own outside and it took 8 hours.