E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2015, 07:18 AM   #1
BritsAbroad

My Ride: 2002 M3 vert
Help! Roof won't open/close

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1433593056.981648.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	602744

I installed a media ridge last night and went to open my roof. This is as far as it goes. I'm assuming that I screwed something up when I was taking the seat in/out. Tips appreciated - I'm stuck at a coffee shop!!
BritsAbroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
ben666

I've had a simliar problem with my 330ci vert today. The top wouldn't go up. I dis-conected the battery and tried again... Lucky it worked.. Probably still got issues. Good luck in sortin it mate.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
ben666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #3
BritsAbroad

Sadly the battery disconnect/reconnect wielded no joy.

After turning the engine off I was able to push the roof down to where it was just above the windshield. Then I was able to close the roof using the button. The attached video shows the behavior. Appreciate any input I can get.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
The Thomas J

My Ride: 2002 325Cic
Look ABOVE you.
Also refer to the sticky above. That will give you all the info you need to know about trouble shooting top issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
Look above you.

This is most likely your issue. Easy to solve.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #5
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
There is a "start here" thread, I'd probably start there.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:45 PM   #6
BritsAbroad

I've taken a look there and think I'm over my head.

I was thinking that it would be related to the installation of the Mediabridge as I had the back seats out to run the cable up to the glove box. I also ran mic up to the stock location. Was hoping (like most no doubt) that there would be something relatively easy to check.

Looks like a trip to my local shop.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:27 PM   #7
lmattiso

My Ride: 2003 E46 Convertible
Have you tried to manually lower the roof then attempt to close it with the switch? I was having a similar problem, roof would raise a couple inches but tonneu cover would not open. Turns out it was the roof motor relay that was bad.
lmattiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #8
BritsAbroad

I haven't tried that. I have looked for a guide on how to lower the roof manually but was unable to find one. Everything I found had a lever underneath the passenger seat that could be release to enable the roof to be lowered manually (I don't have that lever). How can I lower the roof manually?

And where is the roof motor relay? I wonder if I bust something when I was routing and hiding cables.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #9
lmattiso

My Ride: 2003 E46 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritsAbroad View Post
I haven't tried that. I have looked for a guide on how to lower the roof manually but was unable to find one. Everything I found had a lever underneath the passenger seat that could be release to enable the roof to be lowered manually (I don't have that lever). How can I lower the roof manually?

And where is the roof motor relay? I wonder if I bust something when I was routing and hiding cables.
Since your top works partially, you should be able to press the open button then once the top raises and stops, remove the rear seat and press the gold button on top of the cover motor (don't hold the open button down until it flashes, that will cause the CVM to not allow the top to move any more until power has been cycled). The tricky part will be raising the tonneu cover while manipulating the rear glass up and the front of the roof back at the same time. You could prop the cover up until you've got the top mostly down. It will take some work to get the top started but once it begins to fold back it's pretty simple. When the top is under the tonneu cover, press the close button to complete the lowering. If it closes correctly there's a good chance it's either a broken wire or something wrong with the hydraulic pump (mine was the relay). The relay is located in the trunk on the driver's side. It's behind the trim where the DVD navigation would go (or where a black plastic tray is on non-navi units).
lmattiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #10
taylor192

Quote:
I haven't tried that. I have looked for a guide on how to lower the roof manually but was unable to find one.
There is no guide to lower the roof manually, only to raise it.
Quote:
Everything I found had a lever underneath the passenger seat that could be release to enable the roof to be lowered manually (I don't have that lever).
Its not a lever, its an allen key. Check around, mine was in the glove box rather than under the rear seat.
Quote:
I wonder if I bust something when I was routing and hiding cables.
Unlikely.

More likely you have a broken wire in the area posted previously. If you can install a car stereo, you can fix this.

I didn't bother electrically testing the wires to see which one was broken, if that is what you find daunting. I did a brute force fix: spliced all the wires with new wire at the bend. All the wires will eventually break, might as well fix them all at once.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #11
ben666

Wel since I posted yday, my top has been playing up again today. I wouldn't go down this time. Just a solid red light. No sounds going on. Felt like it was getting any power. Tried it for ten mins and nothing. Then come try it 2hours later and eveything works fine. It's head baffling.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:13 PM   #12
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben666 View Post
Wel since I posted yday, my top has been playing up again today. I wouldn't go down this time. Just a solid red light. No sounds going on. Felt like it was getting any power. Tried it for ten mins and nothing. Then come try it 2hours later and eveything works fine. It's head baffling.

Did you drive in between? If so, vibrations can cause broken wires to make contact again.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:24 PM   #13
ben666

No I hadn't drove it. Was not moved... And it worked first time. It seems like a loose connection. But the car decides when she wants her top off, not me!

Old 06-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #14
BritsAbroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
More likely you have a broken wire in the area posted previously.

That was exactly it. All of the cables have been spliced and the roof is once more operational! Appreciate the insights.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:04 AM   #15
taylor192

Quote:
That was exactly it. All of the cables have been spliced and the roof is once more operational! Appreciate the insights.
Good job!