E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 09:51 PM   #1
klixtokw

My Ride: bmw 325 ci
Top locked in semi-closed position

After leaving the top in a semi-closed position for an hour to install new batwing it would not open or close. I tried to help in to open by pushing bow 1 up and I heard a crack after which top does nothing or make any noise when up or down buttons are pushed.
I'm desperate because I can't drive the car. Any ideas?

see pics and clips to see what I have tried.

Sorry E46 will not upload video clips on Youtube it says file error when I upload the url. Can anyone help.

HERE ARE THE VIDEOS URL'S. COPY AND PASTE IN BROWSER.
1. POSITION OF LOCKED TOP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?
feature=player_videoeditor&v=mnYNIGyVm18

2. MANUAL OPERATION OF BOW 1 LOCKS IN WINDSHIELD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=G0ORb0s3bzQ

3.MANUAL UNLOCK OF TOP STORAGE LID.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=djoa5reuP_A

THE PICTURES ARE OF THE BEND THAT PRESUMABLY SHOULD BE LOCKED STRAIGHT BY THE ILLUSIVE LATCHES.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2675-BEND POSITION FR OUTSIDE.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	625719   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2677-BEND FROM INSIDE..JPG
Views:	60
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	625720  

Last edited by klixtokw; 03-03-2016 at 02:08 AM. Reason: PICTURES UPLOADED WERE NOT INCLUDED
klixtokw is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:16 AM   #2
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Did you unlock and lift the storage lid yet? Again, if you cannot do this, please seek professional assistance or find a local member to help.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:13 AM   #3
klixtokw

lift storage lid

Sorry E46 did not accept the URL's uploaded so you can't see what i did do and what is the result.
I would be happy to try any other ideas anyone can provide but unlocking the lid with the Allen wrench does not work in my case ( I have tried a few times).

I believe this will not work until the lock at bow1 (that locks to windshield) is unlocked since the tensioning bow and bow 1 lock are connected. And my top is locked in a position fully closed minus 4 inches to the windshield and with the top lid locked and tensioning bow exerting full pressure on the lid and can't be raised until this tension is relieved and this can't seem to happen unless the bow 1 lock is unlocked. And the CVM has shut the power closing off.

Can anyone tell me what i need to do to include the URL's to this thread so will make case clearer???
Old 03-03-2016, 01:24 AM   #4
taylor192

Can you raise the rear window? If not, then you need to use the allen key I the front motor and loosen (counter clockwise). This will disengage the latches at the first bend which keeps the tension on the top which prevents the rear window from being raised manually.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:51 AM   #5
klixtokw

See videos on edited thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
can you raise the rear window? If not, then you need to use the allen key i the front motor and loosen (counter clockwise). This will disengage the latches at the first bend which keeps the tension on the top which prevents the rear window from being raised manually.
see edited thread.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:00 AM   #6
taylor192

I need a closer photo of the inside of the first bend. I can see the latch, just not sure what position it is in.

Looking at the photo from the outside, see the arm with the C-clip. This arm moves back/forth, turn the Allen key and observe it's movement. Then look on the inside to see the latch it moves.

Send some time and get familiar with the mechanism. If turning the Allen key doesn't nice these arms (one on each side) then your latches are broken.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:25 PM   #7
klixtokw

Quote:
I need a closer photo of the inside of the first bend. I can see the latch, just not sure what position it is in.

Looking at the photo from the outside, see the arm with the C-clip. This arm moves back/forth, turn the Allen key and observe it's movement. Then look on the inside to see the latch it moves.

Send some time and get familiar with the mechanism. If turning the Allen key doesn't nice these arms (one on each side) then your latches are broken.
>Can you raise the rear window? If not, then you need to use the allen key I the front motor and loosen (counter clockwise). This will disengage the latches at the first bend which keeps the tension on the top which prevents the rear window from being raised manually.<

I understand this clearly! But no can do. And the screw falls out but will not disengage the latches. That is the problem I need help to solve.

Again I can't turn the Allen. In one direction it binds and in the other just turns w/o engaging and the screw falls out.

I agree either the latches are broken or the motor is bad. Where does the Allen key engage in the motor? If yes then it must be stripped because the screw where the Allen goes in should not be falling out.

Here are the pics:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2688-BEND FRON INSIDE (Large).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	625946   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2689-PRESENT TOP POSITION (Large).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	625947   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2693-BEND SIDEVIEW (Large).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	625948   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2703-SCREW THAT FALLS OUT (Large).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	625949  

Name:	DSCN2713- PRESENT POSITION OF LATCHES (Large).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	625950  
Old 03-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #8
taylor192

Please provide a photo or more detail of what you mean by "the screw falls out".
Old 03-06-2016, 01:42 PM   #9
klixtokw

Quote:
Please provide a photo or more detail of what you mean by "the screw falls out".
Please take a look at video
2. MANUAL OPERATION OF BOW 1 LOCKS IN WINDSHIELD
in original thread.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:55 PM   #10
taylor192

So.... That piece is not supposed to come out afaik. The only thread I have seen where that piece came out... the gears in that mechanism broke and the entire mechanism needed replacement.

You'll need to remove the cover to further diagnose the issue. See the latch DIY for how to remove the cover.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:01 PM   #11
taylor192

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho....php?t=1004823
Old 03-06-2016, 10:07 PM   #12
klixtokw

Quote:
So.... That piece is not supposed to come out afaik. The only thread I have seen where that piece came out... the gears in that mechanism broke and the entire mechanism needed replacement.

You'll need to remove the cover to further diagnose the issue. See the latch DIY for how to remove the cover.
I agree and are in the process of reading all about removing the cover. Fortunately as you can see in the pics mine closed the latches with the top still partially open so I do not have to cut. Thank you for the link. By the way do you know how he repaired the cut cover?

In removing the cover the six screws that hold the liner on the inside some say to remove others say to loosen and cover would just slide out. Which is the best? Same for the screw at each end that also holds a folded piece of liner. I will try w/o removing just loosening.

Before I remove the cover I was thinking of removing the latches at the bend to allow me to open the top further to make it easier to remove cover. What do you think? It seems all that is holding is a moon clip. SEE PIC.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	REMOVAL OF BEND LATCH.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	626002  

Last edited by klixtokw; 03-06-2016 at 10:13 PM. Reason: ADD PICTURE
Old 03-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #13
taylor192

Dude, please read the threads. Everything you just asked is covered, and frankly it's disrespectful to the members that put in the effort to document this for everyone. I'm not here to hold your hand.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #14
klixtokw

Motor cover removal

Quote:
Dude, please read the threads. Everything you just asked is covered, and frankly it's disrespectful to the members that put in the effort to document this for everyone. I'm not here to hold your hand.
I have read the threads and have not disrespected anyone by asking a couple of questions I would not be asking if there was no doubt. We come here because we don't know the answers to things and to get help not to be scolded like a child.

If you don't want to help or answer the questions DON'T and let others do so. Just get off your high chair scolding everyone because you don't like how they ask the questions of if (according to you) they have used the wrong thread.

Who made you the king of this forum??? Frankly I had enough of all your rude answers and have lost my patience. So please refrain to either giving an answer to help someone or just stay away if you think is too simple of a question for you but REFRAIN FROM YOUR DISRESPECTFUL AND COCKY ATTITUDE!
Thanks for your help without attitude.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:13 PM   #15
taylor192

You'll notice I've helped many people fix most issues with the top, it is only you that have taken issue with. Ponder that while we see if anyone else is willing to help.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #16
klixtokw

Quote:
You'll notice I've helped many people fix most issues with the top, it is only you that have taken issue with. Ponder that while we see if anyone else is willing to help.
Yes I have noticed, as well as some of your rude answers and trying to tell others what to do or not. I wouldn't say you have helped to solve MOST issues but some yes but it would be disrespectful to not acknowledge that you have used others ideas and pictures.

As I said you have no right to take issue with anyone. You either help or go away. Who gives you the right to insult anyone on this forum where people are just looking for mechanical help. Who do you think you are?????

People on this forum don't answer based on who posted a question. They answer because they want to help others honestly and one person's question can be the same for many others. So an answer may help many people not only at the time of the question but continuously as others experience similar problems in the future.

So you ponder on this because an answer to a thread is not personal is for everyone with similar problems. Only you will think this way.