E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
scottyc

My Ride: e46 325ci
really odd miss/flat running!

Hi there my names scott, im new to the e46, and have recently just bought one! and i found your site whilst searching on google! lol

I have a weird problem with my car! its a e46 2001 325ci sport!

when i start the car it idles fine, i drive up the road and it really hesitates and is really flat to the point it feels like a missfire!

so i thought id read the fault codes, it came up with camshaft sensor b, which is the exhaust sensor!

so i thought id look at the sensor, popped the bonnet and discovered that it wasnt plugged in! so i plugged it in and deleated the code!

so i then took the car up the road for a spin! but the car was even worse missing all over the place! to the point it was un drivable! so pulled over on the side of the road and unplugged the exhaust exhaust cam sensor! switched the car of and started it again. and it went back to how it was before hesitaing and flat but drivable!

so with it plugged in- its undrivable,

unplugged- flat and hesitates with major power loss but drivable!

Any ideas?

anything would be much appreshated!

Last edited by scottyc; 11-06-2011 at 01:48 PM.
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
scottyc

no one ?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Any new codes? Is the CHECK ENGINE (SERVICE ENGINE SOON) light on? Are you using the correct gear? Can you improve performance by selecting a lower gear?
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
plug it in and disconnect the battery for 20 mins
maybe the ECU just needs a relearn.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
plug it in and disconnect the battery for 20 mins
maybe the ECU just needs a relearn.
Disconnecting the battery does nothing on an OBD II car.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Disconnecting the battery does nothing on an OBD II car.
depends on what cars. maybe does nothing on an E46 but other OBD2 cars you can unplug the batt to reset it.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
Sweeney921

My Ride: 2003 330Ci ZSP
15:1 !:. ratio
Sweeney921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
JimC-NH

My Ride: 2004 330Ci Vert
Ahhhmm. I'll go out on a limb here and say - replace the sensor.
JimC-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
scottyc

if you select a lower gear you get better preformance and then when you get to about 3k it goes really flat/missy and you have to change up a gear!
Old 11-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #10
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
Plug the sensor back in and reset the codes on your car. Start her up and try and drive it. When the symptoms come back/get worse try and read the codes again and see what you get. It may be that the sensor needs to be replaced or may be something unrelated. Something of this nature has to be throwing some type of code.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyc View Post
if you select a lower gear you get better preformance and then when you get to about 3k it goes really flat/missy and you have to change up a gear!
just......no

but anyway, I'd vote for it being a bad sensor. may explain why it was unplugged in the first place.

Last edited by lsteg; 11-09-2011 at 02:51 PM.
lsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #12
scottyc

ok, ill do that tomoz morning! and ill let you know the results! hopefully we can get to the bottom of it!
Old 11-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
scottyc

P0300

P0313

P1349

P1351

these are the codes i keep getting

tryed swapping the coils around and it makes no diffrence, it dosent transfer to diffrent cylinders!

when the cars miss firing and the cars running and you delete the codes it goes bk to running on all 6 and then quickly starts missing again!
Old 11-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
moiz21

Sounds like a air or fuel problem. I could be wrong but check for a leak after the MAF, check the intake boots for tears. If that is ruled out could be a fuel issue. Could be your pump or filter. Filter being the easier of the two to replace. I've seen a bunch of threads with those codes and those are usually the likeliest culprits.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
Old 11-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #15
scottyc

after reading some things on here, do you think its possibly the fuel pump?

as when i came to come home tonight, the car wouldnt start it just cranked over! left it a 2nd and it started!
Old 11-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #16
moiz21

Yea actually. Sounds like it may be on its way out. But that is more expensive. If you want to be certain eliminate the vacuum leak possibility first. If not then you can move onto the fuel aspect. $20 and you can replace the fuel filter. If none of these solve your issue, go for the fuel pump. Or just do the fuel pump first, up to you. Just a way to eliminate the easier of the options first without spending more than you absolutely have to.

MODS
Old 12-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #17
figjam911

My Ride: 1999-323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyc View Post
Hi there my names scott, im new to the e46, and have recently just bought one! and i found your site whilst searching on google! lol

I have a weird problem with my car! its a e46 2001 325ci sport!

when i start the car it idles fine, i drive up the road and it really hesitates and is really flat to the point it feels like a missfire!

so i thought id read the fault codes, it came up with camshaft sensor b, which is the exhaust sensor!

so i thought id look at the sensor, popped the bonnet and discovered that it wasnt plugged in! so i plugged it in and deleated the code!

so i then took the car up the road for a spin! but the car was even worse missing all over the place! to the point it was un drivable! so pulled over on the side of the road and unplugged the exhaust exhaust cam sensor! switched the car of and started it again. and it went back to how it was before hesitaing and flat but drivable!

so with it plugged in- its undrivable,

unplugged- flat and hesitates with major power loss but drivable!

Any ideas?

anything would be much appreshated!
Mine is the same...a 323i - 1999 model. Runs like s**t with a new exhaust sensor plugged in.

Recently I have replaced the plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, inlet camshaft sensor and last of all the exhaust camshaft sensor...the latter didn't fix it and it runs perfect with the exhaust sensor unplugged.

Car is a little hesitant when accelerating, but OK. runs OK at 110 km per hour on highway!

I don't have a code reader.

No engine warning lights on at all!

What could it be?

Colin Boucher

Last edited by figjam911; 12-10-2012 at 09:07 PM.
figjam911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #18
Slapsys

My Ride: 323Ci
Why not take it to a BMW Dealership and ask them for a quote before they fix it. That way you'll know the most likely problem and could figure out if you are comfortable to fix it yourself or see what an indie would charge you.
Slapsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
figjam911

My Ride: 1999-323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapsys View Post
Why not take it to a BMW Dealership and ask them for a quote before they fix it. That way you'll know the most likely problem and could figure out if you are comfortable to fix it yourself or see what an indie would charge you.
Thanks, but I was hoping for a idea or clue from someone here. I can't find a fix here on this forum after searching for hours and hours!

Colin Boucher
figjam911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #20
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by moiz21 View Post
Yea actually. Sounds like it may be on its way out. But that is more expensive. If you want to be certain eliminate the vacuum leak possibility first. If not then you can move onto the fuel aspect. $20 and you can replace the fuel filter. If none of these solve your issue, go for the fuel pump. Or just do the fuel pump first, up to you. Just a way to eliminate the easier of the options first without spending more than you absolutely have to.
Where can I get the fuel filter for 20 bucks? The lowest I have seen is about 40.
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote