E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2016, 12:16 AM   #1
dreadsword

My Ride: 2003 330i
CCV Delete Consensus?

Hey Everyone - if there's a "definitive" answer that everyone can agree on somewhere, by all means, please point me there. That being said, I've done a reasonable amount of searching on CCV deletes and have found a fair amount of opinion, and a number of DIY jobs, but no generally accepted best answer.

My goal in this thread is to get some consensus - i.e.: "leave it alone, dude" or a solution that everyone agrees make sense.

Opinions... facts?
  • Engine is a closed system - venting to atmosphere is bad.
  • CCV & blow-by needs to go to the crank case to lubricate valve train.
  • CCV is a failure prone system that can be removed without impacting longevity or performance.
  • CCV removal makes for better startup, more consistent operation.
  • Just suck it up and replace the CCV already.
  • "All I can say is wow! There is no denying the car has more power due to better sealing rings under the increased vacuum. (SRC)"
  • "The car runs a lot better with this catch can. I'm getting very little blow by into the can after 2k miles. (SRC - Post 23)"

Sources:
Catch can install:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...69#post6636869

Catch can / breather install:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=860800

Vent it to the atmosphere!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=738271

Diagrammed:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=669968

Fancy Catch cans (baffled!)
http://www.saikoumichi.com/s1_oil_catch_can.html

Here's a video walkthrough - "will fix lean codes, rough idle, idle smoke etc"

From what I can glean from everything, the most commonly "accepted" answer seems to be: removal is OK, vent everything to a baffled catch can that overflows to the dipstick inlet, don't vent/filter to atmosphere.

Your thoughts / comments / experience would be appreciated!

Maintenance
Front brake lines (01/16), Alternator (Bosch) (01/16), Front Wheel Bearings (01/16), Power steering hoses (02/16), Rear Springs (02/16), Radio Power Knob Fix (02/16), Aux Cable Install (02/16), VANOS Oil Line (03/16), OFHG (03/16), Oil Pan Gasket (03/16), Spark Plugs (03/16), Fuel Filter / Pressure Reg (03/16), Headlight lenses & HID Bulbs (04/16)

FUN
Carbonio Intake, Remus Responder / Pedalbox

dreadsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:11 AM   #2
tristero

My Ride: 2004 e46 ZHP convert
There is also the m54 valve cover swap. . .
Old 03-03-2016, 05:23 AM   #3
pack horse

My Ride: 325i coupe
There is no definitive answer.There are arguments for and against both ,you will need to read as much as you can and make your own decision.

I personally have installed a catch can and would not revert back ,its much better ,but that's my opinion .

Also,if your only keeping the car a couple of years , I would keep it stock.
pack horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:49 AM   #4
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
The consensus seems to be that the low tension oil control rings (LTOCRs) are the culprit. They need a constant and steady crankcase vacuum to work properly. So, it comes down to "how" to get and maintain that vacuum.

I installed a Mishimoto oil catch can (OCC) and the engine now burns zero oil.
markusmarkus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristero View Post
There is also the m54 valve cover swap. . .
Yup was just about to post this
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #6
raptorman5174

My Ride: 330i ZHP
If you live in a cold weather climate I would recommend against going with a catch can. They tend to freeze up and fill quickly if the outside air temp is below 32 degrees fahrenheit for more then a couple of days. Here on the east cost I really only have to worry about it in the months of January and February and this has been a mild winter so it hasn't been to bad this year. This is not the case in Canada as I am sure it is sub zero for 6 months out of the year. All other consensuses about the catch can is true my car used to consume a quart of oil every thousand miles, now its like every 5000 miles which to me is normal. Increased vacuum pressure really wakes up the motor, increase in efficiency, better fuel economy, more power overall. In the summer months you don't even have to check the can. It fills up with a little bit of oil but that's about it. Really only in the winter do you really have to be on top of it. Also if you don't plan on keeping the car go with a stock updated cold weather system.

18 VMR CSL's
Koni FSD's
Eibach Sport Spring's
UUC Power Pullies
Sprint Booster
CCV Delete
raptorman5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:55 AM   #7
mpvue

My Ride: '04 325xi stick
I'm in the NE and for me, a catch can doesn't work very well. it was filling up with mayo every week. MAYBE if I could make a setup that kept the can close to the engine and the lines short, it could work, but I just went with a new cold weather CCV.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:10 AM   #8
white_335i

My Ride: 03'330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Yup was just about to post this
M54 or 56?
white_335i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:12 AM   #9
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
M56 valve cover
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:09 PM   #10
dreadsword

My Ride: 2003 330i
Just to close off on this thread:

There's a great discussion on closed loop catch can setups going on here:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1024079
Many people have chimed in with positive long term experience on using CC's and deleting the CCV.

At one point the thread calls out an application specific E46 CC with a nice mounting bracket here:
http://www.radiumauto.com/Catch-Can-...esM3-P298.aspx
(Use of PCV valve with this still up in the air...)

Finally, here's the M56 VC swap onto the M54 thread. Seems like a great option if you can find all of the parts cheap.
http://e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1066308

Maintenance
Front brake lines (01/16), Alternator (Bosch) (01/16), Front Wheel Bearings (01/16), Power steering hoses (02/16), Rear Springs (02/16), Radio Power Knob Fix (02/16), Aux Cable Install (02/16), VANOS Oil Line (03/16), OFHG (03/16), Oil Pan Gasket (03/16), Spark Plugs (03/16), Fuel Filter / Pressure Reg (03/16), Headlight lenses & HID Bulbs (04/16)

FUN
Carbonio Intake, Remus Responder / Pedalbox

dreadsword is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccv, codes, delete, emissions