E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #21
mariust

My Ride: BMW 318i
Talking

Had the same problem with noise coming from center dash vents only when the car idles.

I tried to solve the problem by replacing the final stage resistor, but this did not make any difference.

In the end it turned out that the noise was coming from two pipes on the right-hand side at the back of my engine. I attach pictures to show the location of the pipes. Properly securing them solved the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-04-15-1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	500629   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-04-15-2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	500630  
mariust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #22
coolmellowdude

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyjunkie View Post
I have a similar noise only at idle, it sounds chirpy and I swear its coming from inside the oil filter housing like the filter is rattling around inside. I can feel the vibrations also on the power steering resevoir. I have changed my idler, tensioner, water pump, belts, All needed at 145,000 anyway and it runs more quiet except for the chirping at idle. I am searching for a solution as well. Good luck and I will let you know if i figure this out.
I have the same rattling sound that occurs ONLY at idle and it sounds like it's coming from inside the oil filter housing. I changed the oil and filter, and no change.

I can feel the vibrations on the oil filter housing. Perhaps it's the water pump...

Anyone know????
coolmellowdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #23
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Some things come to mind........I have had rattles of this nature. I too could not pin point them. I waited until they got worse.

You can replace the idler pulleys by getting just the pulleys themselves from dayco. You do not have to buy the tensioners. This was one strange sound coming from the front of the engine compartment. That rattled.

2nd thing was the fan clutch, which should be replaced at 100k with the rest of the cooling system. This was the cause closest to what you describe. I let mine get bad before I found out what it was. I could still hardly tell it was bad after taking it off. It was dangerously close to exploding. It sounded like the vanos rattling. People are really bad at pinpointing harmonics of this nature. I think this is your problem. Replace idlers while your in there. Taking the fan on and off may have sped up the problem to the point you notice it.

On another note......replace the water pump anyway. They have plastic fins that break off and clog the cooling system.

The thermostats soft fail and richer the mixture without throwing a code. Fuel trims only show this.....replace those while your in there as well. Stewart makes a good lifetime water pump.

Last edited by glhx; 07-05-2013 at 10:08 PM.
glhx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #24
coolmellowdude

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Solved my problem. It's the tensioner pulley located below the oil filter housing.
coolmellowdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #25
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Replace them both at the same time. There are threads showing the dayco part number. Less expensive for the same thing. Our parts houses want to sell the whole mechanism when its only grease in the pulley that wears out. They go around 100k Before they are gone.

Last edited by glhx; 07-06-2013 at 05:19 PM.
glhx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #26
ahab_01

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I have the exact same issue!! I just replaced my Valve Cover Gasket, Vanos Seals and Vanos Gasket (Biesen Systems Repair kit). As soon as did, I noticed my car would drop idle below 700rpm and vibrate w/ a low pitched sound then correct itself. It happens more often when using A/C and power steering. I have come to live with it for now as I can't understand if something went wrong in my repair.

I'm thinking because of the more robust seal on the engine, the oil pressure is now a little higher (back to when it was new) and thus causing things to not function quite as perfect anymore??

If anyone has a solution or an idea, it would be much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_seiler604 View Post
Hello, everyone. My '03 325I M54 (90K miles) has a sporadic, low-pitched vibration/rattle at idle (~700rpm or less).

The vibration started immediately after I replaced gaskets for the valve cover and oil filter housing assembly (due to small oil leaks). It's a very low-pitched sound/vibration and kind of sounds like it's coming from inside the engine, although I can't be sure. I've put a stethoscope all over the easily-accessible parts of the engine, but can't pinpoint any source. The sound/vibration only happens sporadically at idle (more often when A/C or PS is engaged), and it never occurs above idle. You can hear the sound best either inside or underneath the car--less so when working under the hood due to pulley/belt/etc noises. No warning lights on the dash and no trouble codes from my OBD scanner. I think it has to be associated with the gasket replacements I did ... but I'm at a loss as to what the problem might be. The car runs very smoothly otherwise.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
ahab_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #27
jskin1510

My Ride: 01 BMW 330, 97 328is
Re: Low vibration/rattling at idle

So I just read all the threads in this post. I have the rattle noise which I am thinking is the heat shield near the exhaust manifold. Definitely sounds like a metal to metal rattle/vibration. Mine is not all the time. I notice it most in parking lots. Typically lower rpms. And I think it only happens when I'm accelerating. For example when I shift into second I might hear it for a second then it stops and it won't hear it again till I slow down and first start to accelerate again. I've had heat shields rattle before further back on the exhaust on my old car and this does sound similar. Once I figure it out I'll post to determine the cause. Thanks for the help everybody.

Also I did change my VCG a few months ago bit I do not think my rattle is related. We will see tho.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by jskin1510; 08-20-2013 at 01:17 PM.
jskin1510 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #28
boonjh

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330Ci
I have exactly the same as OP. Mine also started soon after replacing valve cover gasket. I have in the interrim replaced CCV, belts. pulleys and WP. Noise still there. Only other pointer I have, is that the vibration / noise gets worse as egine heats up.

Anybody found the cure for this (assuming it is not the VANOS)??
boonjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:38 AM   #29
dragondrpr

My Ride: 03 325xi
i was have a similar problem turn out to be the fan 's bolts were lose .....thanks to the forums ....
dragondrpr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #30
dragondrpr

My Ride: 03 325xi
[QUOTE=dragondrpr;15692001]i was have a similar problem turn out to be the fan 's bolts were loose .....thanks to the forums ....[things get loose especially if you have base ]
dragondrpr is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gasket, idle, low, rattle, vibration