E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #1
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
Help with video/audio recording please

Fanatics, I'm looking for a simple/affordable way to record live video and audio of my drumming to a track. Currently, I'm just recording with an iphone and aligning the audio from the track after the fact in Movie Maker (which pretty much sucks).

I'd like to have 2 cameras and either use their built-in mics (if they have that) or separate mics.

Any recommendations for hardware/software (for PC) to get this done simply?

Thanks in advance.

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:28 PM   #2
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
GoPro? Maybe with an external mic?

Small, put anywhere, tabletop or on a tripod.
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:15 AM   #3
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

More in need of help with the system to mix the track and possibly audio from mics with the video feed(s).

Click Here to say hi.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:34 AM   #4
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
There's really no easy way to go about it. Drums are definently one of the hardest instruments to record.

How are you recording the sound right now? Obviously the best way is to have mics on every piece with their own channel so you can mix them after you record.

Mic'ing drums with a single mic effectively is almost impossible honestly, even for just YouTube purposes, but I never tried doing it with only one mic.

If you have a digital SLR camera with video or a go-pro, you could try using an external mic and experiment with placement. Clipping it on your collar or maybe even out in front of your set would be my first guesses for good placement.

Unfortunately if you record your audio and your video separate you'll almost always have to sync them up manually

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #5
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

This will sound odd, but overall quality isn't terribly important. It's not being recorded for pro use or anything, just to capture the play along for sharing with an instructor and others in an online community.

Right now, I'm using an iphone to do the recording, then Movie Maker to drop the track in and line it all up.

I suppose a better piece of software would solve it, but if there was a way to listen "live" to the base track while recording decent audio/video into the same console, that would be the optimal setup for me.

Click Here to say hi.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
This may be gimmicky, but what about making a visual and audial reference point?

You know in moviemaking how they'd hold the little chalkboard in front of the rolling camera, say what scene and what take it is, and then SNAP the top arm down? I think that "crack" created a reference point for the video and audio tracks to be synched up.

Could you do something like that?
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
spiffman

My Ride: 08 E90 M3 '13 F800GT
Send a message via AIM to spiffman
It's always nice to get great audio, it's not terribly expensive too either. Hit up BH Photo, and cross-reference Amazon for a quality video/audio setup.

You can get camcorders for under $300 and two microphones for the same price- hook them up via mini-jack or XLR (ideally) and you have some great synced sound/video.

What's your budget?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r500_full.html

+

Get two of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tal_Audio.html

You can sync everything up at the end, or, if you only get one digital recorder, you can hook that up as a mic ( you can even plug in other mics into the digital recorder so you have multiple mics synced up).

Do it. It's cheaper than ever to do it right. The quality of your room that you play in will really affect the sound as well, but you already know that.

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
LoveClub Member #23
spiffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:11 PM   #8
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

Spiffman - that's pretty much what I'm looking to do, but would prefer it if the cameras and mics were all connected to a central interface that I can record from directly with one piece of software. Kind of like a security camera setup... If I have to go back and sync everything, what I have now works great for my current needs, even though the quality is limited to the iphone's internal mic.

Click Here to say hi.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #9
spiffman

My Ride: 08 E90 M3 '13 F800GT
Send a message via AIM to spiffman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken@bimmertools View Post
Spiffman - that's pretty much what I'm looking to do, but would prefer it if the cameras and mics were all connected to a central interface that I can record from directly with one piece of software. Kind of like a security camera setup... If I have to go back and sync everything, what I have now works great for my current needs, even though the quality is limited to the iphone's internal mic.
Hmm.

I think your best bet, truthfully, would be to buy an older prosumer camcorder that has XLR inputs so you can actually hook up 2 separate microphones (good ones too). Most come with a remote, just hit record on it and you're good to go and it's all synced.

As far as a 'security camera' type interface, that will take some work since I don't believe a lot of setups allow for audio. Let alone good audio.

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
LoveClub Member #23
spiffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:35 PM   #10
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
You can do it with your iPhone depending on which one you have. iPhone 5s and higher came with Garage Band. You can record to your iPhone, save it. Put it in your Dropbox, move it to whatever setup you have on your computer. But you would need a Microphone to use with your iPhone. I've recorded to my iPhone but its very mono sounding. With any Video, your bass will not have that thump. You will get more highs.

https://www.apple.com/ios/garageband/

Sweetwater has a list of everything you would need if you are recording with an iOS device. http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/ios/

If you go with a mic, you will need to try several placements of the iPhone in the room to get the sound you want.
or B. Ask a friend who has a recording setup and record there.