E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
Lebby83

My Ride: 2002 M3/2012 Q5 3.2
Cup Holders???

Hey everyone - New here and have a question. I started to really drive my 02 M3 a lot more. It has been family owned since new and it came with the factory phone in 2002.

My question is... Is there a way to replace where the phone is and put cup holders in that spot?

Thanks for any ideas.

rob
Lebby83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
SKR7

My Ride: E46 MY04.5 SMG M3
Oem parts are available. You will get a dual cupholder and a rotisserie coin holder. Cost about $100
SKR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
all the parts are available HERE

or you can get the Euro Tray... the back cupholder is useless anyways because of the armrest

Respect Your Elders
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
IHAZBMR

My Ride: '02 M3 SMG
Don't know why they didn't make something that had the front cup holder and some sort of storage like the euro tray....could have gotten rid of the back cup holders and put space there while leaving the front one...I want a euro tray, but need my cup holder

'02 Ti Silver M3 SMG SoCal I.E.

Mods: 35% Ceramic tint, CF Wrap Interior, CF roundels, CF Shift Knob, Painted reflectors, Cell Phone holder, Euro mirrors, Dice Mediabridge, Sirius SC-C1

IHAZBMR's '02 M3 SMG
IHAZBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
MySoccerM3

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAZBMR View Post
Don't know why they didn't make something that had the front cup holder and some sort of storage like the euro tray....could have gotten rid of the back cup holders and put space there while leaving the front one...I want a euro tray, but need my cup holder
+1... has anyone tried the euro tray? Can the front section substitute for a cup holder?

EXTERIOR: CF splitter/diffuser, black grills, AE, painted markers/license plate frame, monochrome, fog light delete INTERIOR: Aluminum SMG paddles, shift knob, peddles OTHER: MS elbow/filter, RPI scoops, AA tune, JVT headers, 200 cell metallic cats, Borla muffler, TMS pulleys, Koni yellows, Vogtland springs, 15f/12r spacers, Powerflex RTAB, Treehouse FCAB, black zinc rotors, mini battery.
MySoccerM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
turbo_f22_pilot

My Ride: 2 pedals - 2 paddles
Yes it has been tried, wouldn't recommend trying to let the tray slider door hold your drink in place. There are a couple of threads where people have modified the euro tray to be half tray, half something else. You will have to search the DIY section. There also were a couple of threads over at M3forum on this also.

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC
turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySoccerM3 View Post
+1... has anyone tried the euro tray? Can the front section substitute for a cup holder?
I had it in my old E46 and I can say not really. Sometimes you'd be able to get certain drinks to fit then close the tray against it, but never snug enough for spirited driving like the cup holder provides. Hated bringing girls into the car and having them hold their own drinks so I stuck with the cup holder this time around.

Like said above OP you can order the center insert and replace it no problem. Can you post pics of your phone set up? I dont think Ive ever seen it in an E46

co-founder of
euro techniks

Last edited by NorthJersey 3er; 11-03-2011 at 08:16 PM.
NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
If anything we should be happy we get one functional cupholder. I don't have a picture of it but my old E32 had two 'depressions' on the inside of the glove box. Most worthless thing in terms of functionality, literally only helped if you were parked and even then only on a flat surface

Respect Your Elders
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySoccerM3 View Post

Not unless you want to wear the drink at some point during the drive.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #10
Lebby83

My Ride: 2002 M3/2012 Q5 3.2
Thanks guys for the response's. I will def be getting the cup holder. And yes, I will take a picture of the phone setup in the car next time I drive it. Only gets driven a few times a month.
Lebby83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:55 AM   #11
Mikedev

My Ride: 2003 M3 Convertible
I have the eurotray, but needed cupholders, so I just got these: Ultimate cupholders - they work great. http://ultimatecupholders.com/index.html
Mikedev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #12
Tarmac_E46_M3

My Ride: 2003 M3
I'm going to make custom cup holders on my aluminum door panels. Nothing too fancy, just cf vinyl on it; but it's useful and will do what i want it to do.
Current: 1969 Ford Mustang; 351w; Champion 4 row alu rad; Edelbrock Intake Manifold; Holley 600 CFM Carb; Cragar Wheels; 215/60-15 f, 255/60-15 r; Doug Tri-Y Headers; Dual Side Exit w/Xpipe; MSD 6AL; Electric Fuel Pump; U/D Pulley Set; Monte Carlo Bar.

SOLD: :( E46 M3 SMG; Evolve-R Tune; much, much more... 2980 lbs.

Home biz info: www.HelpMeFightTheForcesOfEvil.com
Tarmac_E46_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #13
Tarmac_E46_M3

My Ride: 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedev View Post
I have the eurotray, but needed cupholders, so I just got these: Ultimate cupholders - they work great. http://ultimatecupholders.com/index.html
Might try this though...
Current: 1969 Ford Mustang; 351w; Champion 4 row alu rad; Edelbrock Intake Manifold; Holley 600 CFM Carb; Cragar Wheels; 215/60-15 f, 255/60-15 r; Doug Tri-Y Headers; Dual Side Exit w/Xpipe; MSD 6AL; Electric Fuel Pump; U/D Pulley Set; Monte Carlo Bar.

SOLD: :( E46 M3 SMG; Evolve-R Tune; much, much more... 2980 lbs.

Home biz info: www.HelpMeFightTheForcesOfEvil.com
Tarmac_E46_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
IHAZBMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedev View Post
They are convenient and not flimsy and large enough to hold an extra large cup?

Mods: 35% Ceramic tint, CF Wrap Interior, CF roundels, CF Shift Knob, Painted reflectors, Cell Phone holder, Euro mirrors, Dice Mediabridge, Sirius SC-C1

IHAZBMR's '02 M3 SMG
Old 11-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #15
Mikedev

My Ride: 2003 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAZBMR View Post
They are convenient and not flimsy and large enough to hold an extra large cup?
Yep, they are very sturdy, adjustable and can hold extra large cups. If you put them in correctly and ensure the metal is bent the right way, they won't tip over and are solid.

I used to use the Fisher cupholder in my old Z3 when I had it. I screwed the back plate into the side of the transmission hump - permanent install. Here is the Fisher cupholder. I have no affiliation with seller other than a happy customer. http://ultimatecupholders.com/fischercupholder.html
Mikedev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #16
IHAZBMR

Nice thanks I think I'll get a couple of these so I can get the euro tray....don't like the fisher one, don't want to drill anything...

IHAZBMR's '02 M3 SMG
Old 11-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #17
tootall

My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
If you have a phone cradle, it is not easy to remove and replace with a cup holder. Pull it up and you will see a lot of wiring and it also has a button with the sneeze icon on it that it used for pairing the phone with Bluetooth, at least it does not my car.

I bought the ultimate cup holder and pulled out the phone holder out of the cradle to provide a little more console storage space since I use Bluetooth instead of the obsolete phone cradle.