E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #221
Serbonze
Master of his domain.
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: In my house
Posts: 2,059
My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
No problem...I already have a few other threads of my Wrangler...I made this one when I WANTED one...love it more and more as the days go by. My parents came over to visit the other week, and on the way to me (they live in NY Im in NJ) the slammed a pothole and popped the tire. I smiled at my dad, looked him dead in the face, and said (in my Jeremy Clarkson voice) "You bought the wrong car." Since the tundra boys invaded this one, it'll just be "I want a large offroader thread."
I picked this up last August. It's a 2001 Sahara, came with a 3" lift (unknown brand, previous owner painted everything black) and mopar front and rear bumpers, AirRaid CAI, and 101k on the odometer. The tires were bald so i picked up some 33" Cooper Discoverer STTs and a set of new wheels. It needed, and still needs, some work but I've been slowly fixing stuff as I can.



My father has a 99 TJ fully built for rock crawling.
__________________
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #222
bgsmith
Registered User
 
bgsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,165
My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
You rollin on steelies? 18mpg is not bad at all driving a lot with changing elevations. Ever consider a tuner module to help you out with your fuel? Jeep guys have been getting a 2mpg increase using diablo units.
Yeah I've got steelies, not overly concerned with my MPGs, I knew what i was getting into, but I don't want it to get any worse since as of right now this is my only vehicle.
__________________
2006 TRD Sport 4x4, Wheels - 17x8 Pro Comp Series 52 Rock Crawlers
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #223
IdahoToyo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: A Sunny Town in Idaho
Posts: 375
My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Take it one mod as a time, as you NEED them, not as you WANT them. Take it offroad, and see where you need help. Randomly buying parts willy nilly just makes for a useless posermobile. Having said that, also remember quality parts retain value and can be sold. Cheap parts cannot. As for the bars, the factory that produces the PARTS for rigid lights (Aurora) makes the same lightbars on their own, but they cost 1/4 of the price.

I must say though, one of the MOST important mods on an offroader (and probably ones that I have used and appreciated the most) is lighting. On these things, and almost everyone here will agree with me...this phrase REALLY rings true.....buy cheap, buy twice.
I'm a bit confused at your response to be honest. If it's just your perspective on it and giving your .02 it's appreciated of course and I agree with all of what you've said. I haven't made my mind up on anything and as I said not putting money into it right away as I'm running it as is and see where that goes.

Ran the PIAA's previous and had a good satisfaction from them. I've never been one to not research into what I am buying and will do the same with this. I honestly prefer the look satoshi grills but understand the difference for off-roading that will exists between the two. I'm not planning serious rock crawling with it, if that was the case I would've kept the Tacoma. Hitting trails and back country will occur, hiking and skiing this winter.

Form and function vs. strictly styling will be my goal as it has been in the past with every vehicle
__________________
-- Kyle --

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #224
jmcdolej
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anderson, IN
Posts: 565
My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
My 2010 JKU
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1361400571.518252.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	491649  
__________________

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #225
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
I picked this up last August. It's a 2001 Sahara, came with a 3" lift (unknown brand, previous owner painted everything black) and mopar front and rear bumpers, AirRaid CAI, and 101k on the odometer. The tires were bald so i picked up some 33" Cooper Discoverer STTs and a set of new wheels. It needed, and still needs, some work but I've been slowly fixing stuff as I can.



My father has a 99 TJ fully built for rock crawling.
Looks awesome!
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #226
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Yeah I've got steelies, not overly concerned with my MPGs, I knew what i was getting into, but I don't want it to get any worse since as of right now this is my only vehicle.
I ran a friends steelies for a day. Instantly felt the power sap. Getting some alloys would help you on all fronts. Love my level 8 trackers.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #227
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoToyo View Post
I'm a bit confused at your response to be honest. If it's just your perspective on it and giving your .02 it's appreciated of course and I agree with all of what you've said. I haven't made my mind up on anything and as I said not putting money into it right away as I'm running it as is and see where that goes.

Ran the PIAA's previous and had a good satisfaction from them. I've never been one to not research into what I am buying and will do the same with this. I honestly prefer the look satoshi grills but understand the difference for off-roading that will exists between the two. I'm not planning serious rock crawling with it, if that was the case I would've kept the Tacoma. Hitting trails and back country will occur, hiking and skiing this winter.

Form and function vs. strictly styling will be my goal as it has been in the past with every vehicle
My comment wasn't aimed at anything specific, just a general rule of thumb. If you want something but its a tad out of your price range, wait. Don't just buy something else because its cheap. Most of the time, you regret that decision and end up getting the thing you wanted in the first place anyway. I learned my lesson with the Jeep, and spend money in places I could have avoided. Lesson learned.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #228
budman
-not a mod-
 
budman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: South Flo Rida
Posts: 31,567
My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
I have put myself on modding restriction its hard as there are so many mods i want for my Jeep!

Sent from my damn phone
__________________
-Gunnar
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #229
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
I have put myself on modding restriction its hard as there are so many mods i want for my Jeep!

Sent from my damn phone
I couldn't do that if I tried. I spent $1000 on mods just last night cause I couldn't sleep
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #230
IdahoToyo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: A Sunny Town in Idaho
Posts: 375
My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
My comment wasn't aimed at anything specific, just a general rule of thumb. If you want something but its a tad out of your price range, wait. Don't just buy something else because its cheap. Most of the time, you regret that decision and end up getting the thing you wanted in the first place anyway. I learned my lesson with the Jeep, and spend money in places I could have avoided. Lesson learned.
Totally agree my bad, didn't mean to get defensive any. For a while now been under the mentality to buy once and cry once haha. I really do like that design for the grill and integration of the light bar, looks great flush as it is. Damn you for posting the pictures to get my mind on the idea again.

Speaking money well spent, nothing like filling up the tank
__________________
-- Kyle --

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #231
budman
-not a mod-
 
budman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: South Flo Rida
Posts: 31,567
My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I couldn't do that if I tried. I spent $1000 on mods just last night cause I couldn't sleep
Hah. My M3 needs tires and i just bought a new DD rifle.. so Jeep mods have to wait lol

Sent from my damn phone
__________________
-Gunnar
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #232
Sentaruu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 848
My Ride: Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Hah. My M3 needs tires and i just bought a new DD rifle.. so Jeep mods have to wait lol

Sent from my damn phone
lol wise decision
__________________
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #233
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoToyo View Post
Totally agree my bad, didn't mean to get defensive any. For a while now been under the mentality to buy once and cry once haha. I really do like that design for the grill and integration of the light bar, looks great flush as it is. Damn you for posting the pictures to get my mind on the idea again.

Speaking money well spent, nothing like filling up the tank
Im not too bad....bone dry (ran it until 20 miles till empty) it was $73 in Upper NY (near Canada.) In NJ it would be about $65. Normally its about $52 or so. Listen, this is how I look at it...and maybe I can change the way you view MPG and fuel costs (as well as everyone else here that's scared of hurting their mileage....

We are car guys. We take pleasure in our vehicles, modding them, driving them, having fun with them, etc. If we didn't we would all be driving a Camry like everyone else. We all also have smartphones, HBO, probably a video game system, more flat screen TVs than we need, and eat out more than we should. So, having said all that....the difference between 20mpg and 40mpg is probably only about $200 a month for the average driver....maybe a bit less, maybe a bit more. Now, I don't know about you, but I would rather cut costs elsewhere so I can enjoy my rides....I'd rather cancel a $10 a month movie channel, cancel my XM radio, eat out 3 time less, etc, which would get me back that money. To me, driving around in a FUN vehicle and using it for fun is worth the extra cost to run it. Sure, I can get rid of the wrangler, buy a corolla, get my 45mpg and save a few bucks....but I actually use my Jeep for fun. I take it camping, offroading, overlanding, etc etc....can't put a price on that.

One more comment....my dad didn't want an MDX because he didn't want to guzzle gas.....so ge bought an RL (almost the same MPG)...but the MDX has higher profile tires. I told him to get an MDX because he lives in NY and the roads are terrible.....he got the RL. Result? 3 destroyed tires ($329 EACH) and 2 bent wheels ($250 to fix them.) Where's the money he saved?
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #234
IdahoToyo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: A Sunny Town in Idaho
Posts: 375
My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
...
My tone must not be coming across well today. I'm not even mad about filling up, I'm right with you...I didn't buy this truck to save MPG. I'll ride my bike just about anywhere if it really came down to it.

I dramatically cut down on my living costs. Moved back to Idaho from city life in Seattle, that right there cut my rent in half. So even with the truck payments, gas, and rent I'm not spending what I used to be on rent alone....plus I haven't taken a pay cut so still coming out ahead with all the new toys to add. And on top of that, I'm no longer paying $6 a beer as I was in the city. Nights out on town cost me almost nothing, plus it helps knowing all the bartenders.

We're on the same page mentality wise I feel. Satisfaction I get from these things greatly outweighs any perceived downside.
__________________
-- Kyle --

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #235
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoToyo View Post
My tone must not be coming across well today. I'm not even mad about filling up, I'm right with you...I didn't buy this truck to save MPG. I'll ride my bike just about anywhere if it really came down to it.

I dramatically cut down on my living costs. Moved back to Idaho from city life in Seattle, that right there cut my rent in half. So even with the truck payments, gas, and rent I'm not spending what I used to be on rent alone....plus I haven't taken a pay cut so still coming out ahead with all the new toys to add. And on top of that, I'm no longer paying $6 a beer as I was in the city. Nights out on town cost me almost nothing, plus it helps knowing all the bartenders.

We're on the same page mentality wise I feel. Satisfaction I get from these things greatly outweighs any perceived downside.
I know I know....it was just general conversation.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #236
DME46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ high school girls' bathrooms.
Posts: 255
My Ride: has free candy.
Green/Grey Hardtop & Interior 07 Sahara Wrangler, 74k miles on it. 6 Speed manual. Not my first choice in color but can't be picky when looking for the options I wanted. Can't wait to get my next Wrangler in a few years!



__________________

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #237
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
Green/Grey Hardtop & Interior 07 Sahara Wrangler, 74k miles on it. 6 Speed manual. Not my first choice in color but can't be picky when looking for the options I wanted. Can't wait to get my next Wrangler in a few years!



Where in Jersey are you located?
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #238
DME46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ high school girls' bathrooms.
Posts: 255
My Ride: has free candy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Where in Jersey are you located?
Clifton, about 15 min from the city with little to no traffic.
__________________

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #239
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
Clifton, about 15 min from the city with little to no traffic.
Oh, so you're not too far from me (Short Hills.) We should hit some trails sometime as soon as it warms up a bit.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #240
DME46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ high school girls' bathrooms.
Posts: 255
My Ride: has free candy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Oh, so you're not too far from me (Short Hills.) We should hit some trails sometime as soon as it warms up a bit.
Absolutely! My cousin has an '05 Rubicon. We should get a caravan going. Love your jeep man, my dream is to get a brand new or a year or two off MOAB. So sick
__________________

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use