E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #281
roastbeef

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Saw this and got a chubby....

all that money and completely worthless offroad with 8" of clearance. what a turd.

^ DD.
roastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #282
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
all that money and completely worthless offroad with 8" of clearance. what a turd.
Dude you do realize not everyone rockcrawls right? That looks like an excellent overland vehicle to me. You don't want monster tires and a large lift for an overland vehicle.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #283
roastbeef

right. i definitely wouldn't be crawling with that truck because i'd be dragging him over everything because he would be constantly hung up on dumb things. overlanding is absolutely about high clearance rigs with larger tires. they aren't as tall as crawlers, but clearance is a must.

the truck pictured is definitely not an overlander. those tires can't be aired down, and even if there was less rim and more tire, you still couldn't air down because it would absolutely kill the little clearance it already has. sorry, but that truck isn't ideal for anything more than a fire road or pavement.

^ DD.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #284
roastbeef

heres a good example; high clearance and lots of room for supplies and equipment.

^ DD.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #285
NFRs2000nyc

Generally, from what I read on expedition portal and a heap of other sources, an overlanding rig should have the LEAST amount of lift possible (if any) to get the job done and SKINNY tires. Having a large lift is detrimental since most true overland rigs have roof racks with heavy loads, and a big lift could result in extremely easy rollovers. I agree with you about the tires/wheels on that rig, they are far too low profile for serious overlanding, however, as for ground clearance, the rig you posted seems to have basically the same sort of clearance as that Tundra....remember, no matter how high the body is, the axles are still pretty low. It's also the photo, I can't honestly tell how big that gap is, if it's 8" like you say or 14", but basically, we are in agreement.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 03-04-2013 at 11:00 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #286
roastbeef

the least amount "to get the job done" is subjective to what the job is, but the quality of the lift is going to matter the most- a true suspension lift rather than a drop bracket lift like that tundra. a solid front axle is tremendously better than an ifs rig for overlanding for many reasons. thats the difference between the rigs posted.

ideal tire size is debatable based on the terrain. mud and swamps, you're going to want pizza cutters. desert, you're going to want fat donuts. the main point i'm pushing is that tundra is worthless and would be a real hassle on anything more than a fire road.

^ DD.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #287
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZY BMW View Post
Had some fun yesterday... First time in the dirt with the new Bilsteins and tires.

Where abouts is that?

Quote:
heres a good example; high clearance and lots of room for supplies and equipment.
It's so... beautiful.

Found more of it,
http://pangaea-expeditions.com/coloradofallcolors/
Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #288
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
the least amount "to get the job done" is subjective to what the job is, but the quality of the lift is going to matter the most- a true suspension lift rather than a drop bracket lift like that tundra. a solid front axle is tremendously better than an ifs rig for overlanding for many reasons. thats the difference between the rigs posted.

ideal tire size is debatable based on the terrain. mud and swamps, you're going to want pizza cutters. desert, you're going to want fat donuts. the main point i'm pushing is that tundra is worthless and would be a real hassle on anything more than a fire road.
In all fairness, it seems that rig is a manufacturer/shop display vehicle which will see as much offroad dirt as my s2000.

On all your other points, spot on, and I agree.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 03-05-2013 at 12:14 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:36 AM   #289
roastbeef

right.

i've done my share of expedition wheeling, mostly through the anza borrego desert. there is a really cool area in a place called coyote canyon where an underground stream surfaces and there is a swamp in the middle of the desert.

a peak at my typical payload.

i've come across caves, mines, mud pits etc.,

bring your jeep out to cali for some wheeling! most people from the east coast are completely blown away by how cool the desert is.

^ DD.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #290
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
I picked this up for 5k, and made it my daily. It's a 2004 Land Rover Discovery. Has 130k miles with a recent rebuilt engine. I put almost 2k more into it fixing small things and making it more off road ready. I love it and for nearly 7k total it's unbeatable for off road and luxury combined. My buddy just bought a 2013 Wrangler Sahara, which is very nice, but it doesn't do anything mine can't (except having navi). He paid over 35k for it. Just saying if you want some luxury and off road capability, these are a great choice if you can find a good one. The 2004 is the best year for a few reasons. The only disclaimer is that you must like working on cars every so often, because it will have small things here and there that will need attention. The main problem with them is head gaskets, but if you get one that has had it done already and you keep the coolant system running well, it's unstoppable.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #291
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
We had a 1995 Discovery in white similar to that. God I loved that rig back when...if it hadn't turned into quite the money pool it did I wish we would have kept it so I could have used it more.

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #292
NFRs2000nyc

The disco is a very capable overland rig. It actually got an honorable mention in the expedition portal top 10 overlanders. The LR3 edged it out.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/reso...-vehicles.html
Old 03-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #293
mattcarle21

Quote:
The disco is a very capable overland rig. It actually got an honorable mention in the expedition portal top 10 overlanders. The LR3 edged it out.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/reso...-vehicles.html
It's the maintenance and reliability that really knock it down. The engine in mine is a 1960s Buick V8 design that has been tweaked and bored repeatedly. My year (04) was the last year they used it. It's a 4.6 all aluminum block that was designed to be iron, hence the head gasket problems. I installed a low temp thermostat, digital oil psi and water temp gauges to monitor situations up there. As long as you keep the temps down they are reliable, believe it or not. The stock temp gauge doesn't read hot until it's far too late, so a separate temp gauge and sensor is a must. So many soccer moms drive them hot and that all aluminum block just can't take it. It happened to mine before I bought it. The lady had just paid for a $6k engine rebuild from letting it overheat. It was making noises (which ended up being a loose exhaust and bad cats) so she decided to dump it and I got it for 5k. I cut off the cats and fixed the exhaust rattle and it runs great. I've also replaced the water pump, brake master cylinder, O2 sensors, fixed a couple roof leaks, and other small things to make it how I want it. I added a 2'' lift and 32'' treadwright tires and it is a beast off road. All for under 7k total. I love it, but if I had no mechanical knowledge or was not willing to work on it here and there, I'd probably hate it. For DIYers though it's an absolute steal.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow

Last edited by mattcarle21; 03-05-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #294
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcarle21 View Post
It's the maintenance and reliability that really knock it down. The engine in mine is a 1960s Buick V8 design that has been tweaked and bored repeatedly. My year (04) was the last year they used it. It's a 4.6 all aluminum block that was designed to be iron, hence the head gasket problems. I installed a low temp thermostat, digital oil psi and water temp gauges to monitor situations up there. As long as you keep the temps down they are reliable, believe it or not. The stock temp gauge doesn't read hot until it's far too late, so a separate temp gauge and sensor is a must. So many soccer moms drive them hot and that all aluminum block just can't take it. It happened to mine before I bought it. The lady had just paid for a $6k engine rebuild from letting it overheat. It was making noises (which ended up being a loose exhaust and bad cats) so she decided to dump it and I got it for 5k. I cut off the cats and fixed the exhaust rattle and it runs great. I've also replaced the water pump, brake master cylinder, O2 sensors, fixed a couple roof leaks, and other small things to make it how I want it. I added a 2'' lift and 32'' treadwright tires and it is a beast off road. All for under 7k total. I love it, but if I had no mechanical knowledge or was not willing to work on it here and there, I'd probably hate it. For DIYers though it's an absolute steal.
Definitely sounds like a home mechanic vehicle. How hard is it to fix out in the bush?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #295
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
So I think I've decided the route I will be going with for grille/ initial light options.

Going to Satoshi the front and then mount a Rigid LED light bar behind it w/in the grille.

Something like this w/o the Toyota:

And then a 30" LED bar:

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #296
mattcarle21

Quote:
Definitely sounds like a home mechanic vehicle. How hard is it to fix out in the bush?
Luckily, I haven't had to, but I carry a good tool set that could fix nearly anything that would break off road. These were made for bush fixes with their safari/overland background.

Last edited by mattcarle21; 03-05-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #297
CRZY BMW

My Ride: has wings & a prop
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
Where abouts is that?
Near Lake Elsinore & Lake Matthews, CA... BLM land so you can shoot also.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=309167&stc=1&d=1238667257

Last edited by CRZY BMW; 03-05-2013 at 11:24 AM.
CRZY BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #298
JoeyLovesM3

My Ride: Cayenne Turbo S
Jeeps are great, but the interior is too basic for my taste.

J2
JoeyLovesM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #299
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
Mud guards... to put them on or not to put them on?

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #300
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
right.

bring your jeep out to cali for some wheeling! most people from the east coast are completely blown away by how cool the desert is.
I always wanted to go Jeepin around the redwoods area. Looks amazing. Maybe even yellowstone as well. Im going to Colorado in the summer, but don't think I will have enough time to drive it out all the way to Cali, and then back to Jersey. It would just eat too much time driving.