E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #301
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
Pretty cool Jeep Vid.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #302
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousMind View Post
Pretty cool Jeep Vid.

All their videos are pretty awesome.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #303
NFRs2000nyc

Went wheeling this weekend with a couple of Jeep guys, first time I took the rig mudding....was pretty fun, but cleanup was such a PITA....

Did well, only got stuck once. Went through about 100 yards of it, then the last 30 feet it got really deep and really soupy, so I got stuck and stuck bad. It took two rigs to pull me out.

Coming into it....

Still awesome to put the rig through its paces and see what it's capable of.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #304
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
From Tacoma forum

Story:

Quote:
It was frozen over, and being the inebriated geniuses we were, we decided to traverse said frozen pond.

Jeeps crossed fine. My best friends H2 sunk ass first, then the front plopped down. It sucked water and hydrolocked.

that pic is very early, when hte ass was still holding onto the ice shelf. It finally dropped another foot and flooded through the open windows on the side.

But yeah, the jeeps only had 1-2 people in them. The H2 was loaded with myself, 2 buddies, 2 random girls, and a metric **** load of beer.

When it finally dropped, beer cans started to float out of the H2.

One buddy braved the ice, and sank up to his waist, all for a PBR...

The jeep just happened to ignite due to some sort of electrical thing.

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.

Last edited by IdahoToyo; 03-13-2013 at 04:19 PM.
IdahoToyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #305
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
^Holy Hell! If I was the guy with the black jeep, I'd be taking a little hiatus from off roading after seeing that.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #306
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoToyo View Post
From Tacoma forum

Story:
Thats gonna suck. Unless that was an official "road" the insurance company might give that Jeep owner a hard time. Also, something else was definitely at play here, not just "some electrical problem." This is why vehicles have fuses. Most likely a fluid dripped onto the hot manifold. Many people overfill their diffs and extend their axle breathers under the hood. Im sure there is more to this story, but it's just guesswork. Also weird the Hummer hydroed...doesn't look THAT deep.

ROFLWAFFLES at the first photo....not a single f*** is being given...the two guys are still dealing with the hummer while the Jeep is up in flames.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 03-13-2013 at 04:29 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #307
DangerousMind

^ That is a Hummer H3.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #308
roastbeef

My Ride: 325ci
power steering fluid gets shaken up and foamed up by the pump with lots of vibrations and steering movement in some offroading conditions. if it foams and boils, it will absolutely squirt out of the top of the reservoir like a shaken up soda bottle. flash point is around 350*, so it can absolutely cause a fire.

^ DD.
roastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #309
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
power steering fluid gets shaken up and foamed up by the pump with lots of vibrations and steering movement in some offroading conditions. if it foams and boils, it will absolutely squirt out of the top of the reservoir like a shaken up soda bottle. flash point is around 350*, so it can absolutely cause a fire.
*runs to check his power steering fluid cap*
Old 03-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #310
DangerousMind

Quote:
Jeep had a recall back in 2010 for 2008-2010 Wranglers because the transmission overflowed through the dipstick on a few, causing fires.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #311
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousMind View Post
Jeep had a recall back in 2010 for 2008-2010 Wranglers because the transmission overflowed through the dipstick on a few, causing fires.
This sounds like a solid culprit. If its a later model, it can be any other fluid, but I don't believe for a second that it's an electrical fire.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #312
roastbeef

i've never heard of transmissions building enough pressure to throw it out of the dipstick... thats pretty nuts.

i've had my power steering fluid boil and overflow one time and i wheel pretty hard every time i go out. the specific time was over some high speed stuff that was really taxing the 14" coilovers and the ride was pretty violent up and down with some turns. the turns are what really cooks it.

^ DD.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #313
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
i've never heard of transmissions building enough pressure to throw it out of the dipstick... thats pretty nuts.

i've had my power steering fluid boil and overflow one time and i wheel pretty hard every time i go out. the specific time was over some high speed stuff that was really taxing the 14" coilovers and the ride was pretty violent up and down with some turns. the turns are what really cooks it.
http://jalopnik.com/5898058/exclusiv...-investigation
Quote:
One possible culprit in the fires is the vehicle's automatic transmission. Chrysler recalled Jeeps in February 2010 over an issue where transmission fluid could overheat under "extreme and/or abusive driving conditions under rigorous off-road conditions."
I have read of a few scenarios...

1) Front diff overfilled and backed up to the breather which was located above the manifold.

2) Leaves built up above the cat.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 03-13-2013 at 06:57 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #314
roastbeef

interesting.

i'm not buying the diff oil bit though, that seems a bit extreme. i doubt one can get diff oil hot enough to burn on accident.

^ DD.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #315
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
interesting.

i'm not buying the diff oil bit though, that seems a bit extreme. i doubt one can get diff oil hot enough to burn on accident.
The diff oil isn't so much about overheating as it is simple heating. Many aftermarket diff covers for the wrangler are bigger than stock (not just beefier, but physically bigger inside, more air space) and as a result, many people end up overfilling the diffs. Stock breathers terminate basically just under the fenders. Many (myself included) extend them so that we don't have to worry about water ingestion when going swimming. Personally, I have not seen fluid back up that far, but its not impossible (you would probably need to overfill your diff by nearly a quart.)

However, you've been forums long enough to know that people have done dumber sh!t than overfilling a diff.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #316
roastbeef

yea, thats what i don't get. i fill my diffs up until oil comes back out of the fill plug. i have one of this accordion thingys on my rear and it leaks a tiny tiny amount of oil sometimes, but i can't imagine a breather into the bay spitting out oil (my breather up front goes to the top of my shock hoop).
only way its possible is if they are filling it up to the brim with oil and its expanding up the tube... stupid.

this is what i have on the rear. it allows purging if it expands all the way out, but won't let water in.

^ DD.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #317
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
yea, thats what i don't get. i fill my diffs up until oil comes back out of the fill plug. i have one of this accordion thingys on my rear and it leaks a tiny tiny amount of oil sometimes, but i can't imagine a breather into the bay spitting out oil (my breather up front goes to the top of my shock hoop).
only way its possible is if they are filling it up to the brim with oil and its expanding up the tube... stupid.

this is what i have on the rear. it allows purging if it expands all the way out, but won't let water in.
Ever have issues with these? I was going to get em, but a few guys talked me out saying that they ran them and had them ripped off on the trail (obviously without them knowing) and having a big mess to deal with afterwards.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #318
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
One more to finish the story

Quote:
My other buddy was so sh!t faced, he waded through the ice cold water to get more beer. Classy to say the least

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #319
NFRs2000nyc

Thats crazy.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #320
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Ugh.. that sucks..