E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
BLAU III

My Ride: eat's cars.
Just sold my 2A rights for $150

I was pulled over on my way back from lunch, going well above the posted limit. He walked up to my car and asked if I had any firearms...... I told him, I do not have anything illegal in my car. He asked me again. I told him, I do have my permit and my handgun is in my door pocket. Long and short, he let me off with a warning.

JJ, flame me if you must but this was a judgement call on my end. He said he appreciated my honesty and told me not to drive my fast car too fast anymore (I have a 325xi )

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I would battle a pack of wolverines in a porta potty with my hand tied behind my back, yielding nothing but a shake weight taped to my forehead, just to hear her fart over a walkie talkie.
BLAU III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
I do not have anything illegal in my car
He asked me again
I do not have anything illegal in my car
He asked me again
He asked me again
He asked me again

lol, we all make our own judgment calls. When in doubt, say nothing.
It not a date, it's a detainment. Don't feel bad about awkward silences.

If he likes questions, ask him his penis size or how often he gets laid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 11-11-2011 at 04:36 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
BLAU III

I can honestly say, I expected worse... He was following me while I took my exit and then headed to my office. I was role-playing in my head and it was weird, the conversation just went that way. I think it was also good practice, don't have much experience interacting with the jack boot crowd. (i guess thats a good thing though)

Quote:
I would battle a pack of wolverines in a porta potty with my hand tied behind my back, yielding nothing but a shake weight taped to my forehead, just to hear her fart over a walkie talkie.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Everyone gets nervous in that situation.
Could've been much worse. You did fine

Do you carry a video or audio recorder?
I do for many other reasons, but I always have it with me

On a random note... I almost had to draw down on someone tonight.
An incredible reminder that things can go south REALLY fast and completely outta the blue in the most random places you'd never expect and I'm glad I carry, everywhere

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 11-11-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
BLAU III

Curious to hear about this story?

Turn on 20/20, it's all about ccw/self defense/etc. totally dispicable how its being represented.

I'm buying a recorder tomorrow. I think that would have made things totally different for me today.

Quote:
Old 11-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAU III View Post
Curious to hear about this story?

Turn on 20/20, it's all about ccw/self defense/etc. totally dispicable how its being represented.

I'm buying a recorder tomorrow. I think that would have made things totally different for me today.
I have the shortcut to the voice recorder on the homescreen on my phone. takes about two seconds to start recording.

I wanna hear JJ's story as well.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and just throw this out there-

In any encounter with law enforcement, pulling out a recorder and recording may have the potential to make you look like an anti-government conspiracy kook (this is because all of these "sovereign" kooks are doing it. It's like people thinking you're a thug because you sag your pants, even if you're not). Regardless of whether you are or aren't, don't be surprised if that is how someone interprets it and then you are subsequently treated like one. By that, I mean that you may inadvertently antagonize someone into doing something that is adverse to your driving record and insurance premiums. Exercise your rights however you choose, it's your choice. Just be aware that Newton's Third Law of Motion often applies to police encounters.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 11-11-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Reedo302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and just throw this out there-

In any encounter with law enforcement, pulling out a recorder and recording may have the potential to make you look like an anti-government conspiracy kook (this is because all of these "sovereign" kooks are doing it. It's like people thinking you're a thug because you sag your pants, even if you're not). Regardless of whether you are or aren't, don't be surprised if that is how someone interprets it and then you are subsequently treated like one. By that, I mean that you may inadvertently antagonize someone into doing something that is adverse to your driving record and insurance premiums. Exercise your rights however you choose, it's your choice. Just be aware that Newton's Third Law of Motion often applies to police encounters.
Interesting comments... In many states, PA being one. Police vehicles are equipped with both audio and video recording devices which automatically enable themselves when lights and sirens are pressed. So let me see if I'm following you REEDO. A person like myself, that simply wants to protect and document their encounter with law enforcement, is immediately considered an "antagonist". Further... considered an "anti-government conspiracy kook", simply by legally recording an encounter of a public servant completely within the bounds of lawful activity? One might wonder why we feel the need to protect ourselves through recording. If an officer is indeed performing their duties as needed, these videos will only show that in a positive manner.

Unfortunately, the TRUTH is that there are thousands of incidents every year of officer misconduct ranging from civil rights violations to the death of citizens.
Plainly caught on.... yup, film. If people didn't record and the internet wasn't so accessible, these injustices and flat out crimes would continue to be suppressed and hidden. There is a valid reason why we don't trust and fear police. Hell... we live in a country where it is ILLEGAL to resist an unlawful arrest, entry or even physical attack from an officer. Our supreme courts have ruled that even though an arrest is unlawful, a home invasion is unwarranted or one of us fears serious bodily harm from an officer, we are not allowed to defend ourselves.

Quote:
"By that, I mean that you may inadvertently antagonize someone into doing something that is adverse to your driving record and insurance premiums."
Again, engaging in lawful activity in recording an encounter, while considering at the SAME TIME, the cop is recording me, all the sudden sparks some kind of anger and thirst for "I'll teach him a lesson" by tarnishing my driving record or subjecting me to a larger fine? Sounds a lot like revenge and bullying to me.

You know who doesn't like to be recorded? People with guilty intentions.

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 11-12-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
Reedo302

I intentionally italicized and put in bold the word MAY for the benefit of context. It's one thing to discretely hit a button on your cell phone. It's entirely another to pull out a cell phone or digital recorder, and then hold it up directly in front of the cops face (and this is where it becomes antagonistic, which is why I emphasized the word "may"). How you go about doing it is often critical to perception. Some people are careful, but some people are unreasonably paranoid or emotionally disturbed. There are often indicators that tell us which applies. I can regale you with numerous stories of people I deal with on a regular basis who walk around with audio recording devices in their pockets. Some do it to try and trap police for the purposes of lawsuits, others do it because they are certain the police are working for the CIA and trying to get into their heads. Very few rational people I deal with randomly whip out a recording device. Recording doesn't mean you're irrational; how you conduct yourself dictates that. The rational people who have recorded incidents have done so with discretion and in a way that has not been antagonistic. Such is why I emphasized the use of discretion (and tact) in how you conduct yourself.

How others perceive you is your situation. If it's not a problem for you, then so be it. If it bugs you, change how you look. You ain't gonna change the system, because the system is heavily based on human nature and perception. You can talk all day about how it SHOULD be, but that won't make it so. I can shlt in one hand and hope for world justice and equality in the other..Guess which hand will fill up first?

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 11-11-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Don't do illegal shlt and it's really not an issue then, is it?
Hey, same goes for you cops as well.

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 11-12-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #11
Reedo302

Somehow I remember trying to make a point that one should exercise discretion in how they go about doing a recording. I don't recall ever saying that they shouldn't.

A bit of an overreaction. Sort of like...

Glock Armorer

Old 11-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Somehow I remember trying to make a point that one should exercise discretion in how they go about doing a recording. I don't recall ever saying that they shouldn't.

A bit of an overreaction. Sort of like...

Don't joke about that, I lived through all 13 seconds of that disaster

Took me over 10 minutes to rebuild my jenga game set!

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #13
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Don't joke about that, I lived through all 13 seconds of that disaster

Took me over 10 minutes to rebuild my jenga game set!
If you're just going to be so sensitive about things all the time, then we're going straight home and I'm not stopping at Dairy Queen.

Glock Armorer

Old 11-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #14
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
If you're just going to be so sensitive about things all the time, then we're going straight home and I'm not stopping at Dairy Queen.
I want Dairy Queen...

And JJ... not going to share about your near-draw incident?

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #15
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post

And JJ... not going to share about your near-draw incident?
Not sure if I want to go into details, but a weird conversation with a stranger quickly turned into a VERY weird, uncomfortably direct threat to my 3 year old.
Someone talking about "his mission ordered from God", and how he died already and God told him to come to this very store, at this very time to meet MY daughter to bring her to heaven. He grabbed his bag and said it was time to give her something to help her go to heaven.

At that point, I "made it clear" without going any deeper into the details, that he needed to GTF away from me. Look, it could've been a prayer card or it could've been a 18" knife, who knows.
Not that I ever doubted my reasons for carrying, but this incident further cemented why I do

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 11-13-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #16
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Not sure if I want to go into details, but a weird conversation with a stranger quickly turned into a VERY weird, uncomfortably direct threat to my 3 year old.
Someone talking about "his mission ordered from God", and how he died already and God told him to come to this very store, at this very time to meet MY daughter to bring her to heaven. He grabbed his bag and said it was time to give her something to help her go to heaven.

At that point, I "made it clear" without going any deeper into the details, that he needed to GTF away from me. Look, it could've been a prayer card or it could've been a 18" knife, who knows.
Not that I ever doubted my reasons for carrying, but this incident further cemented why I do
When I read "Mission from God", I knew it was going to turn sour. I'm glad things didn't get too far out of hand and everyone's alright. I hate for you to have encountered that, though.

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #17
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
When I read "Mission from God", I knew it was going to turn sour. I'm glad things didn't get too far out of hand and everyone's alright. I hate for you to have encountered that, though.
Yea it was surreal. I've encountered plenty of religious freaks but the way he kept personalizing his "message" directly at my daughter was a huge red flag.

I engaged him in conversation only to feel him out and his responses to my questions further threw red flags.

I asked the girl at the counter if she felt safe, if she was here alone and if she wanted me to stay, before I left.

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.