E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
drummr8

My Ride: Steel Grey 02 330Ci
Intermittent SES light - P0171 P0174 - no vac leaks... Fuel pump/filter?

So I've had this intermittent SES light for a while now... and it's always the same codes (P0171 and P0174). It comes and goes at different times and I can't seem to see any sort of trend. Since these two codes together usually indicate a vacuum leak, I checked the intake boots and they look good and I also did a smoke test and found no leaks. I am thinking that maybe my fuel pump and/or filter is on its way out.... Thoughts?
drummr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci Regensburg Bav
First time I had that code, i had a crack in the boot. Right underneath the elbow where the small hose is attatched. It was not noticeable until I removed the whole boot and squeezed it a bit and there was. 2 years after that the same code. Replaced my oxigen sensor and it was gone, but i was really thinking it was the MAF sensor. My Oxygen sensors were detecting too little oxygen in the exhaust and the control module was adding more fuel than normal to sustain the proper air/fuel mixture. 3rd time my cam possition sensor gave me the cell, but this time I was unable to run my car (Of curz a different code this time). Maybe it could help you...my 2 cents

Last edited by djnekkon; 11-13-2011 at 12:22 AM.
djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:55 AM   #3
bernie21614

My Ride: 01 330i
I have the same thing, been fighting with that dreaded code for 3 years now and still no fix. I've changed the 02 sensors, reset adaptation, changed the lower and upper intake boot, replaced all vacuum lines, cleaned the maf and nothing. I've given up on finding the source to this code. When I do smog I just reset the codes and wait till all only one sensor is not ready them immediately take it to the smog place and pass with flying colors. Gl trying to figure this one out.
I also replaced the fuel filter

Sent from my SAMSUNG- INFUSE
bernie21614 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
drummr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie21614 View Post
I have the same thing, been fighting with that dreaded code for 3 years now and still no fix. I've changed the 02 sensors, reset adaptation, changed the lower and upper intake boot, replaced all vacuum lines, cleaned the maf and nothing. I've given up on finding the source to this code. When I do smog I just reset the codes and wait till all only one sensor is not ready them immediately take it to the smog place and pass with flying colors. Gl trying to figure this one out.
I also replaced the fuel filter

Is your SES light intermittent like mine though? For example, it was on yesterday, I did/changed nothing, and today it was gone...

It's like one day it's fine, then the next day it's not.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
bernie21614

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummr8 View Post
Is your SES light intermittent like mine though? For example, it was on yesterday, I did/changed nothing, and today it was gone...

It's like one day it's fine, then the next day it's not.
Yes it's intermittent, I also notice that when it's on i have to press the gas pedal a little more to get it to accelerate, kind like it bogs down a bit. Currently my light is off, sometimes it goes away for a week or two.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
drummr8

I've noticed that my car seems to have kind of crappy acceleration (bogged down). It's been like this since I got the car though... I've had the SES light for the majority of time that I've had the car though, so I don't have much to compare to.

I think I might look more into possibly replacing the fuel pump
Old 11-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
restore

My Ride: 2002 325i ZPP/ZSP
Fuel filter...

Do you have problems starting up in cold weather?

Hmm..never mind, you live in Orlando...

restore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
drummr8

hahaha... yeah... Maybe in a month or so it *might* get to the 30's... So maybe then I'll find out? Why, does a clogged fuel filter = trouble starting in cold?
Old 11-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #9
restore

My Ride: 2002 325i ZPP/ZSP
Quote:
hahaha... yeah... Maybe in a month or so it *might* get to the 30's... So maybe then I'll find out? Why, does a clogged fuel filter = trouble starting in cold?
Yep, I tried starting up in 30 degree weather a few weeks ago. The engine turned over then died. I started it up again, and it ran perfectly.

Anytime the weather gets below 40 degrees, on a completely cold start, I have to "hold" down the key for the engine to turn over and stay on.

After that first time dying, I have an SES light that stays on when the key is in position 1. Apparently the solution to this problem is the fuel filter, so that's why I think it may solve your problem...

restore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
bernie21614

Quote:
I've noticed that my car seems to have kind of crappy acceleration (bogged down). It's been like this since I got the car though... I've had the SES light for the majority of time that I've had the car though, so I don't have much to compare to.

I think I might look more into possibly replacing the fuel pump
Hopefully that fixes your problem. if not then you might find yourself chasing this problem for a while. Just start with the small and cheap stuff first if you do start guessing on parts to replace, it's easier in the wallet, unless you got deep pockets.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #11
ramairbrc

My Ride: 2001 330cic
To eliminate fuel starvation as a cause of my codes, I recently made a fuel pressure gauge from a dail type tire pressure gauge, some fuel line and two clamps (since none of the locally available pressure gauges indicated they worked with foreign cars, only domestic).

2011-11-13_17-00-15_664

I removed the schrader value, and affixed this gauge to the value body, and started the car. It held at 50 pounds at idle, up and down the RPM spectrum. and then for a long time thereafter. You may want to fashion such a gauge to eliminate the fuel pump and regulator.
ramairbrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #12
CylonRed

My Ride: '01 E46 330i sport
Mine was caused by the DISA gasket - never did a smoke test on my car but replacing the gasket fixed the problem. I did have to have a shop clear some codes I could not see after the gasket was replaced. Since then - perfect.
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Try checking the DISA as stated. I replaced it and both of my lean codes went away.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
ramairbrc

My Ride: 2001 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonRed View Post
Mine was caused by the DISA gasket - never did a smoke test on my car but replacing the gasket fixed the problem. I did have to have a shop clear some codes I could not see after the gasket was replaced. Since then - perfect.
So you replaced just the DISA gasket, do you have a part number? Thanks.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer
ramairbrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #15
drummr8

When I looked at my DISA, it still functioned properly and the gasket looked OK. Maybe I should pull it off again and seal it really well with gasket maker?
Old 11-30-2011, 01:13 AM   #16
drummr8

After searching a bit more, I found someone else who found a solution to the same problem... There is a port on the side below the DISA valve and there is supposed to be a cap covering the port. It was missing on his car, so he covered it and the codes stopped coming. The port is actually facing the rear of the car and is very difficult to get to and can barely be seen.

After lots of searching, I found the port. My cap was ripped all the way down one side. Could this little tear really cause all that whistling and the vacuum leak? If anyone plays paintball... I was able to use one of the little rubber caps from a compressed air tank (nipple cover) to cover the port. Fit perfectly
Old 11-30-2011, 02:27 AM   #17
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I was getting the same intermittent list and codes as well. Tonight, I discovered a vacuum leak that I have never seen mentioned on here. It is Item #3 in this link.
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...03&hg=11&fg=45
This pipe runs along the valve cover ledge, and is inside the clips that hold the O2 sensor wires. Mine had broken at the point that the hose from the air pump valve connects to it. All of those hoses are hard as a rock, and the plastic pipe #3 was extremely brittle, and is making cracking noises when I move it. I looked up the part, and it is about $35, for an 8 inch section of 1/8 I'd plastic pipe. I am pretty sure that this is the source of my leaks, and I will confirm this after I replace it. Like I said, I have not seen this mentioned on the list of usual suspects for vacuum leaks, but I thought I would mention it.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 11-30-2011 at 02:29 AM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #18
CylonRed

My Ride: '01 E46 330i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramairbrc View Post
So you replaced just the DISA gasket, do you have a part number? Thanks.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer
There is no part number - technically not a replaceable part.There is a guy on eBay who does sell a gasket that works fine. Others have mentioned getting a gasket from AutoZone as well - not a BMW specific but one that is the right size.

Search this forum and the DIY for "DISA Gasket" and you should find the info you need.

The gasket in the current DISA valve will need to be scraped out fairly well before putting the new one on.
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #19
drummr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
I was getting the same intermittent list and codes as well. Tonight, I discovered a vacuum leak that I have never seen mentioned on here. It is Item #3 in this link.
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...03&hg=11&fg=45
This pipe runs along the valve cover ledge, and is inside the clips that hold the O2 sensor wires. Mine had broken at the point that the hose from the air pump valve connects to it. All of those hoses are hard as a rock, and the plastic pipe #3 was extremely brittle, and is making cracking noises when I move it. I looked up the part, and it is about $35, for an 8 inch section of 1/8 I'd plastic pipe. I am pretty sure that this is the source of my leaks, and I will confirm this after I replace it. Like I said, I have not seen this mentioned on the list of usual suspects for vacuum leaks, but I thought I would mention it.
I noticed these when I was snooping around. The end pieces of mine are in really crappy shape, but don't look broken (and didn't release smoke when smoketested). The part of the hose that goes back behind the motor felt/looked like a cable almost... reminded me of like the brake lines on a bicycle. Maybe I should inspect that more.... seems like a ***** to work with/get to though
Old 12-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #20
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
I noticed these when I was snooping around. The end pieces of mine are in really crappy shape, but don't look broken (and didn't release smoke when smoketested). The part of the hose that goes back behind the motor felt/looked like a cable almost... reminded me of like the brake lines on a bicycle. Maybe I should inspect that more.... seems like a ***** to work with/get to though
You may want to check it out really well. I had an intermittent light for several months, and the exact same codes as you have. I had the car smoked, and we could not find anything. The light became constant about 2 months ago, and never went off. As I said in the earlier post, I found that line was cracked, and the flexible hose connection was also split. I bypassed the entire thing with a length of 1/8 vacuum line, and this morning, the SES light went off, for the first time in 3 months. I pulled out the solid line, and it had numerous cracks in it. This apparently was the cause of the vacuum leak the entire time. I am not clear why smoke testing did not reveal it.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote