E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
Dwydz

My Ride: 2003 M3
Keys locked in trunk = ( one set.

So I was putting some stuff in the trunk, keys were put there for a second and yep I'm an idiot locked my keys in the trunk. I have a 2003 Conv BMW M3.
Called the guy with slimjim, he unlocked my car but trunk release won't open the trunk probably for a security feature since it is a vert and don't want anyone getting in there while the top is down.

I have the Ski hole or what ever but when i take out the middle through the ski hole there is a plastic (looks like convertible motor) blocking entry to the trunk. Don't think I can fold down my rear seats for the same security reason. I also don't think a locksmith can help since there's a chip in the key.

I only have one key.

I'm and idiot.

Can anyone help me out?

Much thanks for any help.

Dwydz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:20 AM   #2
E46DrEaMeR

My Ride: 2002 320Cic
The plastic bit in the ski hole is removable which enables you to pass your ski's through but im not sure if its removed via the trunk or from the passenger area but worse ways you could kick it through to get your keys then replace it once you have full access
Old 07-20-2014, 06:20 AM   #3
hardrivn

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Trunk release should work

Double check your fuses to ensure that your trunk release isn't not working because of that. Also double unlock all doors and try the trunk button at the trunk. Good luck!
hardrivn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:21 AM   #4
hardrivn

Finally I think dealers can cut a key from VIN.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:46 AM   #5
E46DrEaMeR

My Ride: 2002 320Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrivn View Post
Finally I think dealers can cut a key from VIN.
indeed they can for which they relieve you of nearly 150 that's around 250 in $
Old 07-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
The plastic "motor" blocking the ski pass is the HK subwoofer. It clips into place, so you'll probably need to break it to get it free. Search for photos of it to get an idea of how best to break it free.

The rear seats in the convertible do NOT fold down. Your only option is the ski pass hole.

The trunk release in the car is locked out when the glove box is locked. You could break the glove box and try to override the trunk release lock out.

Personally I would just get another key made. You should have 2 keys for situations like this.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #7
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Hey, it happens. Can you get to your registration? Take that (and some ID) to you dealer and get a key cut. Not worth damaging your car and/or your subwoofer by kicking it open.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 07-20-2014 at 10:46 AM.
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
Dwydz

My Ride: 2003 M3
Will they make a key with a chip or just a valet?

Dwydz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
hardrivn

Key with chip/remote. For about $250 you can actually program the remote yourself if you look online at YouTube
Old 07-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #10
bimmernate

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Just call a lock smith. The same thing happened to me and AAA came out and got into my trunk in 10 minutes. Btw, they have to do something with the drivers side door key hole to trick the car into thinking that the key is there which will allow the trunk to be opened. It's not just a vert thing. Any competent locksmith can get in very quickly...

2003 330i ZHP 6MT
Performance: Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, TMS Sway bars, M3 Strut Brace

Aesthetics/Functionality: TSX Projector retrofit, 20% Tint, OEM Aux Input, Clear corners, LED taillights, M3 Steering wheel, Black kidney grills

Last edited by bimmernate; 07-20-2014 at 03:35 PM.
bimmernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #11
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Good idea, but he'll still need another key eventually. Probably makes sense just to pay BMW once and not a locksmith and BMW. OP, they can get you a full key.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 07-21-2014 at 10:35 AM.
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #12
hardrivn

So what happened?

Brian M
1990 E30 M3 Sold 2014
2005 330CIC 6sp ZHP
2006 Mini Cooper S
2011 Toyota Venza my Snow and Tow vehicle
Old 07-25-2014, 10:40 PM   #13
beeemerdude

My Ride: Cabrio. Stick.
i truly do not understand these monthly "I locked my keys in the trunk" threads.

Are these ppl related to Honey Boo Boo ?
Old 07-26-2014, 12:33 AM   #14
bimmernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
Good idea, but he'll still need another key eventually. Probably makes sense just to pay BMW once and not a locksmith and BMW. OP, they can get you a full key.
Well, I always assume everyone has AAA and they can get into your car for free...but I guess some people don't have the membership It's a good idea to have a AAA membership.

2003 330i ZHP 6MT
Performance: Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, TMS Sway bars, M3 Strut Brace

Aesthetics/Functionality: TSX Projector retrofit, 20% Tint, OEM Aux Input, Clear corners, LED taillights, M3 Steering wheel, Black kidney grills
Old 07-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #15
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernate View Post
Well, I always assume everyone has AAA and they can get into your car for free...but I guess some people don't have the membership It's a good idea to have a AAA membership.
AAA operates for profit. If everyone benefited from AAA they'd be out of business. Most people pay their membership and never use the benefits, AS AAA then profits. This is why I don't have a membership to CAA and just pay for things as they happen.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:32 AM   #16
bimmernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
AAA operates for profit. If everyone benefited from AAA they'd be out of business. Most people pay their membership and never use the benefits, AS AAA then profits. This is why I don't have a membership to CAA and just pay for things as they happen.

Towing your car once out of pocket pays for AAA for 5+ years. There are also other discounts at stores and what not, you easily get your money back with this company.

2003 330i ZHP 6MT

Old 07-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #17
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernate View Post
Towing your car once out of pocket pays for AAA for 5+ years. There are also other discounts at stores and what not, you easily get your money back with this company.
Then explain how they operate for profit. You cannot, thus my statement stands.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #18
tcphoto

My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeemerdude View Post
i truly do not understand these monthly "I locked my keys in the trunk" threads.

Best quote ever! It's like the search function is broke or their just too lazy to use it.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #19
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeemerdude View Post

Hey, these threads saved me one time and it was not on any of my BMW's. I continue to keep these threads in mind every time I open the trunk.

I rented a car after flying to a city with my family, we were heading back home and was stopped at a motel.

I had to go get something from a bag in the trunk because we did not bring all of our bags into the motel.

So here I am, trunk open, digging through my bag with a key in one hand, needed and extra hand, put the key down on the trunk floor, then I had this flash of light, then a LONG pause, thinking back to my good friends on the Fanatics here, I quickly picked up the key, put it in my pocket, then started back digging in my bag.

I would have been VERY unpopular with the family, a bit poorer and I have no idea how the rental car companies can get a 2nd key to you, especially since I was doing a one way drive and was about 10 hours from the home city from where I picked up the car and where the car was registered.

So the Fanatics helped me out that day!!

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 07-27-2014 at 08:57 PM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #20
beeemerdude

My Ride: Cabrio. Stick.
a 2 year old knows not to lock the keys in the trunk.

Honey Boo Boo.

Honey Boo Boo.