E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #1
moejoe

My Ride: 2004 330cic ZHP
Insurance Claim: OEM vs Aftermarket E46 Conv

located in california, 2004 330cic, progressive insurance.

my car was vandalized last week - the thieves slashed a 2 ft x 2ft cross on the soft top to get into the car.

estimator visited bmw collision center where i have dropped of my car for the damages. progressive agent claims that in the fine print they are allowed to use after market soft top parts (outer liner, filler, inner liner) and the cost diff between OEM and aftermarket is not reasonable - approx 2.4k vs 5k-ish. i understand they usually debate labor rates, but am surprised that they are debating OEM parts install.

has someone in california been in a similar situation? and can guide me on how they tackled the conversation with the insurance folks.

thanks
moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
ranki1

My Ride: 04 BMW 330Cic
Insurance

I'm in a similar situation in NC. I bought an 04 330Cic from a dealer in Houston and they had it shipped via car hauler. Something happened enroute and there is extensive damage underneath, starting with the exhaust being punched forward, rear control arms bent from chaining down, rear subframe bent, lift jack pads missing, both lower panels below the doors ripped up, aluminum reinforcement plate/skid plate destroyed, front subframe bent, front control arms bent, engine belly pan destroyed, and front bumper cover ripped off.

BMW quoted over $6000 to repair and Geico has allowed me $3800 after my $500 deductible is taken off. Geico is quoting all parts from NAPA and such and allowing $55 labor as compared to the dealers rate of $100. To add insult to injury, Geico has missed a few things, but say the car must be at a registered repair outlet before they will add them on the supplementary claim, even though these things were noted initially, but the adjuster couldn't find the part numbers to include them in the estimate.

You don't know how good your insurance company is till you have a claim etc.
ranki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
moejoe

My Ride: 2004 330cic ZHP
sorry to hear that. right now I am being juggled between the claims rep and adjuster. will talk to the adjuster's manager tomorrow to see how far i get.

Re: parts cost
Convertible tops though fall under wear/tear items. however, for you i would recommend supporting your case with prepurchase pics indicating clearly the condition of the car etc. might help. they should not fall under depreciation calcs that some companies calculate etc. you could convince them for OEM parts but an indy shop instead.

In my case for the interiors damage (glove box etc.) progressive agreed to OEM parts replacement/cost

Re: labour rates in my case were also not argued against.

Extract from policy doc indicates that the judgment call is in their hand for repair estimate/parts use - 'as reasonably determined by us'
-----------------------
In determining the amount necessary to repair damaged property to its pre-loss condition, the amount to be paid by us:
. . (i). .will not exceed the prevailing competitive labor rates charged in the area where the property is to be repaired and the cost of repair or replacement parts and equipment, as reasonably determined by us; and
. . (ii). .will be based on the cost of repair or replacement parts and equipment which may be new, reconditioned, remanufactured, or used, including, but not limited to:
. . . (a). .original manufacturer parts or equipment; and
. . . (b). .nonoriginal manufacturer parts or equipment.
-----------------------
moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #4
jclip

My Ride: 06 m3, 01 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by moejoe View Post
located in california, 2004 330cic, progressive insurance.

my car was vandalized last week - the thieves slashed a 2 ft x 2ft cross on the soft top to get into the car.

estimator visited bmw collision center where i have dropped of my car for the damages. progressive agent claims that in the fine print they are allowed to use after market soft top parts (outer liner, filler, inner liner) and the cost diff between OEM and aftermarket is not reasonable - approx 2.4k vs 5k-ish. i understand they usually debate labor rates, but am surprised that they are debating OEM parts install.

has someone in california been in a similar situation? and can guide me on how they tackled the conversation with the insurance folks.

thanks

All depends how your policy is written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranki1 View Post
I'm in a similar situation in NC. I bought an 04 330Cic from a dealer in Houston and they had it shipped via car hauler. Something happened enroute and there is extensive damage underneath, starting with the exhaust being punched forward, rear control arms bent from chaining down, rear subframe bent, lift jack pads missing, both lower panels below the doors ripped up, aluminum reinforcement plate/skid plate destroyed, front subframe bent, front control arms bent, engine belly pan destroyed, and front bumper cover ripped off.

BMW quoted over $6000 to repair and Geico has allowed me $3800 after my $500 deductible is taken off. Geico is quoting all parts from NAPA and such and allowing $55 labor as compared to the dealers rate of $100. To add insult to injury, Geico has missed a few things, but say the car must be at a registered repair outlet before they will add them on the supplementary claim, even though these things were noted initially, but the adjuster couldn't find the part numbers to include them in the estimate.

You don't know how good your insurance company is till you have a claim etc.

Most estimating systems do not have mechanical parts and labor to install those parts. Usually when this happens, a supplement will be needed once the car is at the shop. In most states it's against the law to negotiate repairs with an unlicensed individual. If you are getting it fixed at the dealer, why not just drop it off and have them negotiate the repairs with the dealer?

Was the initial insurance estimate written on the street and not at a shop?
jclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:06 AM   #5
ranki1

Insurance

Yes, the initial estimate was supposed to be done at a repair facility that geico deals with, however they couldn't do it as they were fully booked up, so I took the car to a local garage where it could be put on a lift to properly see the underside. The lady had a small computer that sourced and identified the parts etc. All very tech. They talk about them standing by the parts and work if their approved parts and facilities are used, however I can take it anywhere. Having said that, a lot of the work I can do myself, but they insist it must be at a recognized repair facility to do the supplemental, most of which she was aware of right up front. It seems like a control thing.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:40 AM   #6
jclip

My Ride: 06 m3, 01 325
Bottom line is, they won't pay you a supplement unless you are a licensed facility. It's not the insurance co, it's the law. You should have had the car inspected at the facility you intended perform the repairs.
jclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #7
ranki1

Insurance

Isn't that the same as saying you are not allowed to repair your own vehicle. All the damage I am speaking of was noted initially, such as the bolt on reinforcement plate. Is it the "law' that says you can't work on your own car? In this case the estimator neglected to include a few parts, and would've done the same thing no matter what facility she looked at it. She actually wanted to look at it in my garage because she thought it was not drivable, however I convinced her that she really needed to get under the car to appreciate the extent of damage done. It looks like it tried to fall of the truck, or was driven off with the ramps not level as it has dropped as the back wheels went down etc.

Last edited by ranki1; 07-23-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #8
ranki1

OP Insurance

Sorry "moejoe", my intention was to give an example of a North Carolina situation, not hijack your thread.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:08 AM   #9
99Bandit

My Ride: E46 330ci
One of the best known top companies is Robbins. Their best top and headliner retails for $1100.
99Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #10
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
+1 on Robbins tops re:quality. No idea of their pricing though. Might be best to have insurance pay you and just buy one of theirs.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is online now   Reply With Quote