E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
gbakerkingston

My Ride: 2004 330ci Vert
Vert Roof Hydraulic Oil

OEM Part number is 54340394395. There seems to be a much cheaper aftermarket product (which may even be the same producer) - FEBI Bilstien #02615 ZH-M.

Refer to http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._D18BD03A.aspx To be used as a "top up", to bring resevoir to required level.

Any feedback per personal use & validation of quality/performance vs OEM greatly appreciated.

Last edited by gbakerkingston; 11-13-2011 at 04:54 PM.
gbakerkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
jzwu

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Cic
I know the oem fluid is some kind of mineral oil, so it is not some high tech stuff.
jzwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
gbakerkingston

To finish off this thread, I researched this product more - and determined it was acceptable to use, vs OEM/official BMW product. I've replaced my existing fluid with this product, and all works fine.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
fast2fresh

My Ride: E46 convertible
how do you add the fluid? Do you know how to manully retract the top cause my top will not retract electroniclly because there is no more fluid? Once you add the fluid do you have to reset the computer? My email is
fast2fresh@yahoo.com.
fast2fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
gbakerkingston

Refer to PDF files http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...988&highlight=
For manual retraction of roof.

Buy a large syringe at a pharmacy. Fill the syringe with fluid and deliver to reservoir via syringe. I found this method was best.

Last edited by gbakerkingston; 01-16-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Resurrecting an old thread.

I was wondering how much fluid I need. The BMW bottles are 250ml, do I need more than 1? My pump is almost empty.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbakerkingston View Post
To finish off this thread, I researched this product more - and determined it was acceptable to use, vs OEM/official BMW product. I've replaced my existing fluid with this product, and all works fine.
Were you able to source it locally, or had to order?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #8
Vandyinc

My Ride: 2000 323 Cic
You shouldn't need more than 1. I thought i would need 2 to fill mine, but only used 1/2. the pump itself is inside that reservoir, so it takes less than you think.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandyinc View Post
You shouldn't need more than 1. I thought i would need 2 to fill mine, but only used 1/2. the pump itself is inside that reservoir, so it takes less than you think.
Thanks!
Old 07-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #10
Big Chris E46

My Ride: E46 2004 Convertible
Hydraulic Fluid Level Problems

Hi Guys
New on here wondering if anyone could answer the following:
Having problems with my hood going down. First started going down slow now struggles to go down without help. Bit that it struggles at is when the rear flap is up and the window section is not dropping down without a little push. Once going down it shuts away properly but will not close unless I turn the car off and back on again then the roof will shut fine. Have stripped the boot liner out to check the fluid levels. With top up/closed the level is sat in lower part of the circle. With the top down it is beyond the level and has filled the cylinder right to the top 9/10, this is not right as it should be sat within the the circle right?
I have inspected the rest of the car and roof there does not seem to be any fluid leaks. Any ideas would be great, I'm suspecting someone has over filled the reservoir, there was signs of someone had been in the area before as the motor insulation was torn. Any help would be great?
Big Chris E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #11
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chris E46 View Post
Hi Guys
New on here wondering if anyone could answer the following:
Having problems with my hood going down. First started going down slow now struggles to go down without help. Bit that it struggles at is when the rear flap is up and the window section is not dropping down without a little push. Once going down it shuts away properly but will not close unless I turn the car off and back on again then the roof will shut fine. Have stripped the boot liner out to check the fluid levels. With top up/closed the level is sat in lower part of the circle. With the top down it is beyond the level and has filled the cylinder right to the top 9/10, this is not right as it should be sat within the the circle right?
I have inspected the rest of the car and roof there does not seem to be any fluid leaks. Any ideas would be great, I'm suspecting someone has over filled the reservoir, there was signs of someone had been in the area before as the motor insulation was torn. Any help would be great?
Your assessment is bang on. Hopefully overfilling the reservoir hasn't burned out the pump. Empty some and cross fingers.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:03 AM   #12
Big Chris E46

My Ride: E46 2004 Convertible
Thanks for the quick reply. So do you think there is any point in replacing the hydraulic fluid for new? Does it lose it's power or ability to work?
Big Chris E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:19 AM   #13
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chris E46 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. So do you think there is any point in replacing the hydraulic fluid for new? Does it lose it's power or ability to work?
There is probably no point, although it never hurts to change up the fluids. I found my fluid was disgusting after 10yrs. I also had a leak so dirt and moisture were getting into the system.

If you buy the Mercedes fluid its only $12 a bottle, so why not!
Old 08-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #14
TopHydraulicsInc.com
Supporting Vendor

My Ride: German verts
We are rebuilding E46 hydraulic pumps aka hydro units on a daily basis. The filtering in these pumps is not great, which makes it more important to replace the fluid from time to time. A good portion of these pumps fails on account of contamination. Contamination can wear out the pump's pistons and valves. The dark color in old hydraulic fluid is from tiny suspended particles in the fluid. Those are a mixture of oxidized or microscopic metal and decaying seal material.

Rule of thumb: if the fluid is dark, change it. Cleanliness is important when doing this.

The majority of the fluid is in the reservoir, but there is a good amount in the cylinders, lines, and valve block. If you want to get ALL fluid flushed, as opposed to mixing new fluid with old fluid again, then that involves a bit more work. Empty the pump's reservoir first, after that cycle the top manually to push the old fluid out of the cylinders (you will be sucking in air, but that's okay), and then refill with new fluid. At that point, it will take a few cycles to get all air out of the system. The system is self venting. You will need to refill the reservoir after some air has been expelled back into the reservoir from the cylinders. Do NOT run the pump continuously for more than two cycles, or your pump's electric motor will overheat. The electric motor is made for low duty cycles. Give it a half hour break before moving the top again. We get plenty of E46 hydraulic pumps p/n 54347025595 in with burnt out motors.

http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/b...ulic-pump.html

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/56-bmw-e46

5434-8234530 (hydro-unit)
54347025592 (control unit)
54347025598 (improved hoses manufactured at Top Hydraulics)
http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/56-bmw-e46
www.tophydraulicsinc.com

TopHydraulicsInc.com is offline   Reply With Quote