E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #41
Jason@proefi
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcchen View Post
This is unreal! Makes me wanna get a 2jz next
Nah...the S54 is a better engine!
Jason@proefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #42
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@proefi View Post
Nah...the S54 is a better engine!

It certainly should be, at least on paper. But why is the torque so low on every dyno that I see?? I would think that with a better head, variable cam timing and higher compression that it would kick a 2Js ass down low and in torque?
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #43
Jason@proefi
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
It certainly should be, at least on paper. But why is the torque so low on every dyno that I see?? I would think that with a better head, variable cam timing and higher compression that it would kick a 2Js ass down low and in torque?
When I overlay my dyno runs with the 2j dyno runs (and believe me...I have ALOT of 2j dyno runs). The S54 cars I have done kick the crap out of the 2j's.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #44
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
Quote:
When I overlay my dyno runs with the 2j dyno runs (and believe me...I have ALOT of 2j dyno runs). The S54 cars I have done kick the crap out of the 2j's.

Maybe.... I was just comparing the car that Chris built to a car we did with a 6266. Granted we had a smaller turbo (6266 vs 6766) but we made 600 rwhp, 720 tq at 4000 compared to his 260 rwhp and 330 TQ. Both cars on E85. Ours was a 3.4 stroker though but still no variable valve timing. Quite a big difference there.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #45
TaZaM3
Psshhhht M3

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
I have a M3 now at the shop where the customer wants to hit 1K with a billet 76. I am now slightly afraid of the HPF log type manifold as being a restriction that will prevent us from hitting our goal. After seeing the results of Chris's car with a 82mm turbo, I think that we may need to explore the realms of a custom tubular manifold.
We have hit 940whp at 29psi on a AA log manifold with an older 76. This setup can break 1k if we turn up the boost more which I usually do on the street.).

Last edited by TaZaM3; 11-17-2011 at 01:48 PM.
TaZaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #46
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZaM3 View Post
We have hit 940whp at 29psi on a AA log manifold with an older 76. This setup can break 1k if we turn up the boost more which I usually do on the street.).

How does that manifold compare to the HPF bolt together type as far as flow goes??
Old 11-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #47
yellowssm

My Ride: 2005 M3
That torque number is unreal!!!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #48
Bugermass

My Ride: ZX10R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02black330ci View Post
Chris,
What are your thoughts on the internals longevity with this amount of whp and torque? Even if its close to 700whp, I would love to do the set up since its hitting the Stage 2.5 and Stage 3 whp territory and all w/out the build. Maybe adding the ARP head bolts to assist in holding it together? I am looking for all sorts of options/ideas to push the stock engine further.

Really good feedback there Larry, was this on E85 also?
Well at this point its hard to say since we havnt put alot of har miles on it yet. The plan is to beat on it a whole bunch where its at now then start turning it up a little at a time until we break somthing. I'd say if it can hold this power under the abuse the whole shop will put it through then this power level is good to go .. Only time will tell for sure!! Obviously u should be prepared to loose a motor anytime your pushing this kinda of power over stock, if your not willing and prepared to loose a motor, then this probably wouldn'e be the best route to go.
Bugermass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #49
Bugermass

Quote:
Maybe.... I was just comparing the car that Chris built to a car we did with a 6266. Granted we had a smaller turbo (6266 vs 6766) but we made 600 rwhp, 720 tq at 4000 compared to his 260 rwhp and 330 TQ. Both cars on E85. Ours was a 3.4 stroker though but still no variable valve timing. Quite a big difference there.
Also my pulls were in 4th, 5th gear is closest 1:1 on the M3 apparently. I found this out after the dyno session .. That extra load may have given the turbo a little more time to spool and produce some better TQ #s. Next time on the dyno I'll see what I can do with more time and 5th gear.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #50
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Chris can we expect some videos and some drag time on this beast? Also still waiting on those pictures.
What problems did you encounter during the initial setup phase or is this pretty much a mimic of Jason@ProEFI's setup?
EML light still?
Controlling the cams or leaving that to the DME?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #51
Bugermass

Larry, another thing to keep in mind is the cam profile is pretty aggresive twords top end power, that could account for some of the lackluster low end as well.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #52
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZaM3 View Post
Taza how would you "think" the AA log compares to the Steed Speed or the HPF Log?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #53
Bugermass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Chris can we expect some videos and some drag time on this beast? Also still waiting on those pictures.
What problems did you encounter during the initial setup phase or is this pretty much a mimic of Jason@ProEFI's setup?
EML light still?
Controlling the cams or leaving that to the DME?
Yes, once we get it back together we'll take some vids on the dyno and at the track. There wern't really any issues other than the 6500 rpm factory limiter when only th rear wheels spin. Charles from topend told me how to defeat it the garunteed way to work every time and it did. I ususally just run cars like this in AWD, but his trick worked perfect so I didn't have to.

I did and have been playing with a number of different ideas and things to get the most out of the whole setup. We're in the process of fine tuning a flash for the DME that will "improve the experience" I can't give out details until its done. But it should be done a week or two after we get the new clutch in.. I had no EML light and the vanos was controlled by the stock ECU
Old 11-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #54
dragosid

My Ride: HPF 2.5 M3
I, for one am extremely happy you guys (Chris, Larry, Jason etc) have come on this forum and more over have started focusing on S54! As everyone said those tq numbers are UNREAL!
As far as Chris' motor sacrifice, thank you! At least from my side as I'm very interested in raising up the bar of the stock engine as it's certainly easier upgrade to our >St2 set-ups (in my case rather than shipping an entire engine over the Atlantic).
The only concern left is the endurance of the engine which I guess only time would tell and a few more brave e46fanatics.

My questions Chris is, do you think the same/similar output could be achieved on pump+meth or race+meth instead of E85 which is not available in certain parts of the world?

Also the fact that Larry and Jason insist that S54 is a better engine than 2JZ is quite amazing! as bringing current s54 performance even close to 2JZ in terms of power curve would be a HUGE achievement not to mention squeezing even more performance out of it... which brings me back to being thankful for having your focus nowadays on S54!

I have a feeling 1yr from now we'll be far off this point in terms of this motor's performance if interest in optimizing it is maintained.

P.S: Chris please put me also on the list of interested people in your work and eventually retail & please edit the title - this NEEDS more attention - I'm sure you can either do it or ask a mod to do it for all of us

Pulled the trigger! Built engine + 6766 Dual BB + Open Dump + 15/23 PSI - Holy F#@$ this build is insane!

HPF Stage 2.5 - 739rwhp & 581ft-lbs SAE
best 1/4 mile (ST2) 11.77'@123mph 1.9' R/T on Toyo R888 295/30/19
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S - stock

Last edited by dragosid; 11-17-2011 at 02:46 PM.
dragosid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #55
dragosid

My Ride: HPF 2.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugermass View Post
... but his trick worked perfect so I didn't have to.
I know is slightly off topic but please describe briefly the steps you did as I'm still having trouble lately (used to work before but now even after removing fuse 61 it's cutting at 6500)

thanks!

Pulled the trigger! Built engine + 6766 Dual BB + Open Dump + 15/23 PSI - Holy F#@$ this build is insane!

HPF Stage 2.5 - 739rwhp & 581ft-lbs SAE
best 1/4 mile (ST2) 11.77'@123mph 1.9' R/T on Toyo R888 295/30/19
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S - stock
dragosid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #56
Bugermass

To get the car completely out of dyno mode, you can get the wheels up to speed in say 4th gear, then while the whiles are spinning turn the key off then back on, this will fail the wheel speed sensors and the car will rev to redline with no interfearance from the factory ECU..
Old 11-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #57
Bugermass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragosid View Post
I, for one am extremely happy you guys (Chris, Larry, Jason etc) have come on this forum and more over have started focusing on S54! As everyone said those tq numbers are UNREAL!
As far as Chris' motor sacrifice, thank you! At least from my side as I'm very interested in raising up the bar of the stock engine as it's certainly easier upgrade to our >St2 set-ups (in my case rather than shipping an entire engine over the Atlantic).
The only concern left is the endurance of the engine which I guess only time would tell and a few more brave e46fanatics.

My questions Chris is, do you think the same/similar output could be achieved on pump+meth or race+meth instead of E85 which is not available in certain parts of the world?

Also the fact that Larry and Jason insist that S54 is a better engine than 2JZ is quite amazing! as bringing current s54 performance even close to 2JZ in terms of power curve would be a HUGE achievement not to mention squeezing even more performance out of it... which brings me back to being thankful for having your focus nowadays on S54!

I have a feeling 1yr from now we'll be far off this point in terms of this motor's performance if interest in optimizing it is maintained.

P.S: Chris please put me also on the list of interested people in your work and eventually retail & please edit the title - this NEEDS more attention - I'm sure you can either do it or ask a mod to do it for all of us
Thanks for the comments. As far what what we an do on what fuel combinations, thats a tough one. Right now we are on E98 not E85. E98 has a significantly higher actual and effective octane rating. Right now we're finding the limits of the physical parts of the stock motor by removing octane as a limiting factor. So to anser your question, I'm not sure yet lol. We will keep making strides forwards and keep everyone posted to the progress.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #58
Jason@proefi
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Spool valve? another .15 liters as well....and as you know...turbo size dictates torque...smaller turbo = MUCH more torque.

Last edited by Jason@proefi; 11-17-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #59
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Spool valve?
No sir, just a 3.4 motor at 9.5-1 CR
Old 11-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #60
Jason@proefi
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
No sir, just a 3.4 motor at 9.5-1 CR
Got a graph of that at like 15psi????

Another thing to remember is you are using a Mustang dyno...so it loads the car more (forcing boost earlier) than most of the dyno jets you compare to.