E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #81
02black330ci

My Ride: spaceship
Holy F*CK Larry, I want me some power like that out of the S54. You are making it harder and harder for me to hold back from shipping you guys my car, lol....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky///m3 View Post
Don't mind me, I can't spell
We hvae no idae waht yuo are takling abuot......

02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:35 AM   #82
gringotegra

My Ride: Turbo
I am curious when these stock motors break, what breaks? They throwing rods or they breaking pistons/ringlands?
Old 11-18-2011, 01:37 AM   #83
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringotegra View Post
I am curious when these stock motors break, what breaks? They throwing rods or they breaking pistons/ringlands?
Believe ring lands have been the main issue.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:51 AM   #84
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Primarly they break my wallet.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #85
02black330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
That is what I've read in the past, I don't think i've heard of a rod going on these engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
LOL, I know you've heard this before, but its always a good one... Break My Wallet!

Last edited by 02black330ci; 11-18-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #86
gringotegra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post

Interesting... In all my days of messing with Hondas, I've always said "Good tuner throws a rod, Bad tuner breaks a ring land".. Ive seen stock motors throw rods @ 500whp, and some people break ring lands @ 320whp... Really comes down to the tuner... Bugermass knows
Old 11-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #87
Bugermass

My Ride: ZX10R
haha, yeah I've bent my fair share of stock rods ...
Bugermass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #88
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
I think it may have something to do with the non torque plated factory oval cylinders...as the man at Darton explained in one of the HPF built engine videos...the reasoning behind the ring lands iirc.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #89
Jason@proefi
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
LMAO....that was funny!
Jason@proefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #90
mike@maximumpsi
boost junky

My Ride: 02M3T, 97M3T
Quote:
Interesting... In all my days of messing with Hondas, I've always said "Good tuner throws a rod, Bad tuner breaks a ring land".. Ive seen stock motors throw rods @ 500whp, and some people break ring lands @ 320whp... Really comes down to the tuner... Bugermass knows
I bent 6 rods on my E36 when we were pushing the stock motor on a 35R many years ago. Made over 620whp/630tq. Pulled the motor, replaced the rods, and put the motor in another car that is still running now. We have had other cars come into the shop needing rebuilds, and when they came apart you could shake all the ring lands off the pistons.

So far most of the S54 dyno plots we have seen resemble a centrifugal SC HP curve. The 11.5:1 CR doesn't help things with the factory pistons, especially for running 93/91 octane. Methanol injection helps significantly, however a single burp in the system and there is your knock event that takes out the ring lands.

It is great to see some new and trusted names working with the E46 M3!
Click here for E46Fanatics 1/4 mile standings
Email us at sales@maximumpsi.com!
Like us on facebook to follow our latest builds and upcoming events! - facebook.com/maximumpsi
mike@maximumpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #91
Bugermass

Still waiting on the clutch :/ .. I know Bret over at Technica Motorsports has done alot of boosted E36 stuff with great sucess.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #92
mike@maximumpsi
boost junky

What clutch are you using? We have a few nice options for a big power BMW's.
Like us on facebook to follow our latest builds and upcoming events! - facebook.com/maximumpsi
Old 11-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #93
02black330ci

^^^^^ What he said! There are a few options out there.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #94
Bugermass

We were running a spec twin disc. The clutch itself is totally capable for our power goals and we've had good sucess with their clutches on many other platforms, there just seems to be a slight clearance issues with this particualr application that we are trying to get resolved. Once we get it resolved the clutch should work just fine. If we can't get it resolved then its up to the bossman to decide what route to take next.

BTW i took some pics of the car, i'll post them up when I get home.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #95
gringotegra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugermass View Post
We were running a spec twin disc. The clutch itself is totally capable for our power goals and we've had good sucess with their clutches on many other platforms, there just seems to be a slight clearance issues with this particualr application that we are trying to get resolved. Once we get it resolved the clutch should work just fine. If we can't get it resolved then its up to the bossman to decide what route to take next.

BTW i took some pics of the car, i'll post them up when I get home.
Tilton Triple still the best clutch i have ever driven on. Costly tho lol... Not even sure they make it for a E46
Old 11-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #96
mike@maximumpsi
boost junky

I have a tilton triple disk in my e36 that has an e46 trans. Agreed, it is a great clutch.

I just got a new Uuc twin disk to try out. It uses two full sized BMW disks.

Last edited by mike@maximumpsi; 11-24-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #97
Bugermass

Spec has corrected the issue with our clutch, replaced the parts that were damaged and its on its way back to us .. The car should be back up and running by the time we get back from PRI hopefully, then it'll be time for me to put it back on the dyno . I also talked to Bret from Technica Motorsports, he's the guy thats helping us develop the flash to make these cars less finicky while on a standalone. We've decided it'll be much faster for him to fly down and sit on the dyno with me for a couple days so we can work out all the little details of the flash .. looking forward to that. So sometime next week if all goes well I'll have more graphs, pics and maybe some vids
Old 11-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #98
02black330ci

Quote:
Spec has corrected the issue with our clutch, replaced the parts that were damaged and its on its way back to us .. The car should be back up and running by the time we get back from PRI hopefully, then it'll be time for me to put it back on the dyno . I also talked to Bret from Technica Motorsports, he's the guy thats helping us develop the flash to make these cars less finicky while on a standalone. We've decided it'll be much faster for him to fly down and sit on the dyno with me for a couple days so we can work out all the little details of the flash .. looking forward to that. So sometime next week if all goes well I'll have more graphs, pics and maybe some vids
Awesome, thanks for the update!!! Do you think maybe you can also work with him to provide us an option for permanent dyno mode?

Old 11-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #99
Bugermass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02black330ci View Post
Awesome, thanks for the update!!! Do you think maybe you can also work with him to provide us an option for permanent dyno mode?
Its already been done on the flash we're running currently. Actually its not permanent dyno mode.. Basically what seems to happen is when you only roll 2 wheels eventually the ECU faults the wheel speed sensors. When this occurs it enables the 6500RPM limit. So what we did is raised the 6500 limiter ABOVE the main limiter so that it will never be in the way. We've also moved the main limiter way out of the way so that now the stand alone EMS rev limiter can be set higher without the factory limiter shutting the throttles on us. There are quite a few other things we are tweaking, but I don't want to give anymore of it away unit everything is done and finalized.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #100
02black330ci

Quote:
Its already been done on the flash we're running currently. Actually its not permanent dyno mode.. Basically what seems to happen is when you only roll 2 wheels eventually the ECU faults the wheel speed sensors. When this occurs it enables the 6500RPM limit. So what we did is raised the 6500 limiter ABOVE the main limiter so that it will never be in the way. We've also moved the main limiter way out of the way so that now the stand alone EMS rev limiter can be set higher without the factory limiter shutting the throttles on us. There are quite a few other things we are tweaking, but I don't want to give anymore of it away unit everything is done and finalized.
Sounds good, you guys need to become a sponsor so you can tell us how much this ECU flash will cost, specially since some of the options you are mentioning are a requirement for some E46 M3 F/I cars (What we call permanent dyno mode only applies to certain years).