E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 02:59 AM   #1
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
M3 Fuel Baffle Fixture + Fuel Pump DIY

There are already a couple of good DIYs here but since I did it as well, why not post.

Following my white sparkplugs and some weird rpm issues and the recommendation of ESS to replace the fuel pump at 80k miles, I decided to follow their advice. In addition to the new fuel pump, I also got the fuel baffle fixture. It's like a mini tank where it secures inside the fuel tank and the fuel return hose is connected to it. Its purpose is to prevent fuel starvation when low on fuel and taking sharp turns, where fuel moves on the right side of the tank. I did experience this issue some times, and with a cost of 20 euro, it was no brainer that I had to get it.

*** Warning ***
You will be dealing with a very flammable liquid. Work with windows down, battery disconnected, cell phones away, no smoking, basically don't have anything near your work area that could cause a spark. All pictures were taken with no flash. Also, disconnect the battery before proceeding. I'm not responsible if you get high on gas fumes or if you cause an explosion and die.

Disconnect the battery

Pop the rear seat by pulling it upwards

Lift the sound deadening material and undo the 4 nuts that hold the fuel pump access lid

Dirty as hell

After some vacuuming it looks much better. Disconnect the plug and cut the clip that secures the fuel line on pump. We will be using a new one. Fuel will spill until pressure is relieved so be ready with some rags around. I used a bolt to seal the fuel pump hose to prevent more fuel spilling. Then I used a lot of water to wash out the excessive fuel and cleaned the whole area.

Using a hammer and a screwdriver, lightly hit the big round ring until it becomes loose.

After the ring is removed, it's just a matter of carefully lifting the fuel pump out of the tank. I run the car until almost empty for safety reasons. To secure the fuel baffle fixture, I simply dropped it in the tank and clipped it on the right side of that plastic thing which was already inside. There is a hose, I believe it's the fuel return hose, that must be removed from its existing location in the tank and be relocated to the top part of the fuel baffle fixture. When you take a look inside the tank you will understand better.

With the new fuel pump and baffle, I also got a new o-ring. Place the o-ring in place before dropping the new pump inside.

Screw the big metal ring back with light hammer hits, reconnect the fuel hose and secure it with the new clamp

Reconnect the plug, connect the battery and then turn the key to ignition position II, then off, then again on position II so that the pump operates and fills the lines with fuel. Start the car and check for any leaks from the hoses. If everything is ok, re-install everything and enjoy an improved ride.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
richyboycaldo

My Ride: Mx5 300zx 240z 330c
same goes for non-Ms?
richyboycaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
hvirani

My Ride: e46 320i
His car IS a non-M.
hvirani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Great DIY! Is there a part # for the baffle?
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:12 AM   #5
paraklas
OEM ///Member

Fuel pump and fuel level sensor - BMW parts catalog

#7 - Fuel Baffle Fixture 16 11 2 229 656
Old 05-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
VECTOR

My Ride: 2004 330CI auto vert
Didn't realize the back seat passenger was sitting on the fuel tank.
VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #7
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTOR View Post
Didn't realize the back seat passenger was sitting on the fuel tank.
most back seats in most cars have the fuel tank under the seat.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
I know that at least a few Mercedes have the fuel tank between the rear seat back and the trunk. Found that out when working at a MB dealership as a tech and somebody came in complaining of a gas odor. Turns out when they mounted their amp to the front wall of the trunk one of the screw slightly pierced the fuel tank.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
33beto

My Ride: 08 328i Sedan(R.I.P)
Send a message via AIM to 33beto
i think i need to do this as my car gets slower when its sees quarter tank or less.
33beto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
I know that at least a few Mercedes have the fuel tank between the rear seat back and the trunk. Found that out when working at a MB dealership as a tech and somebody came in complaining of a gas odor. Turns out when they mounted their amp to the front wall of the trunk one of the screw slightly pierced the fuel tank.
That's the exception rather than the rule. I know older Jags and the Lexus SC400 have the gas tank behind the seat as well.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Great DIY.
Thanks.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #12
330iafro

My Ride: bmw 330i
Thanks a lot for a great DIY.. my car died yesterday just did this and the car runs great.... very easy...
Old 07-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #13
spennI

My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iafro View Post
Thanks a lot for a great DIY.. my car died yesterday just did this and the car runs great.... very easy...
330iafro:

When you say "my car died" did you mean it didn't start b/c of the fuel pump? If so, how did you know it was the fuel pump?
spennI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #14
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
Thanks for the thread
Old 08-16-2010, 12:36 AM   #15
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
I just put one in and took a few pictures:

1. I found this tough sticky gunk whose job it is to keep the ring from unscrewing. It previously resided on the clean part. Based on how hard it was to get off I imagine it is very effective:

2. This is the hose paraklas was talking about. It empties into the lame stock baffle:

3. This is the hose relocated to the M3 baffle, which clips into the stock one. It was a cinch:

Thanks paraklas!

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #16
paraklas
OEM ///Member

Nice addition of pictures!!! Now it's more completed.

Did you change the gasket as well or left the original?

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #17
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
Going to install the baffle this weekend. Finally down to 1/4 of a tank.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:35 AM   #18
330ciwp

My Ride: '01 330ci
This is a great DIY and helped me out a lot last weekend. I wanted to post my symptoms and tips, and maybe they will help someone else doing a search on fuel pumps.

My car broke down out of the blue. I've had fuel pumps go bad on cars before, but they always gave me a symptom of hard starting way beforehand. This car didn't do that. I parked, went inside somewhere, got back in, and the first crank it started, but ran rough and cut off. I tried it again and it did the same thing and died while I tried to keep it running with my foot on the gas. It eventually led to it getting progressively worse until it would just turn over and not start. From this, it seemed fuel related and fuel was shut off for some reason. I put in a new fuel filter a year earlier so I didn't think the line was clogged or something wrong with the FPR. I never paid attention to the sound of the fuel pump priming before, but when I turned the key, I couldn't hear anything. I ended up removing the back seat, and while in the back seat and reaching up and turning the key, I listened and felt the top of the cover for the pump. No sound or any feeling of the pump priming. Checked the fuel pump fuse and it was fine. Checked the relay behind the fuse "panel" and it was fine. Which led me here to this DIY.

Tips on removing the pump:

-Removing the metal ring around the pump was probably the hardest part. I found tapping with a phillips screwdriver and hammer in 5 or 6 places around the perimeter of the ring, made it easier than tapping in one or two spots. Putting the screwdriver at the lowest angle you can, makes it easier to break it loose too. Otherwise, you're tapping with force downward at the tank, rather than at an angle to the ring. I also removed the black "goop" used to hold down the wires. It was spread on both the ring and old pump, just making tapping it off a little harder. You'll have to use quite a bit of hammering force to get the ring loose.

-I used a pair of tin snips to remove the crimped clamp on the rubber hose. I cut the top portion in half and was able to get a flat head screwdriver in and pry the clamp loose.

-When removing the pump, about 3 or 4 inches up, it hung up on the old corrugated hose. I had to reach in and push the hose in towards the pump in order to pull it out.

-When you get near the bottom, you need to turn the pump at an angle towards the passenger side to clear the float and arm.

-When I had the gasket slipped on and new pump halfway in the tank, I pressed the new gasket onto the tank then put the pump into the tank.

It's not a difficult project.
330ciwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #19
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

My Ride: shaken, not stirred
Send a message via AIM to bluejeansonfire
i just did this as well... is it supposed to feel kind of loose in there. Feels like the only clips that it goes to are on the driver's side (I think this is what Paris meant when he said "right side"... as in right side when looking at it from inside the car facing the rear)

Is there just the one clip?

thanks for the writeup guys, this helped a lot... i really didn't understand the etk doodle with the random hose going into it

Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 AM   #20
paraklas
OEM ///Member

Yeah that's what I meant when I said it clips on the right side. It does feel a bit loose (correct again, 1 clip) but the fuel pump assembly sits on it as well so it shouldn't move.