E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #21
sl_e46_ci

My Ride: 05 325 ci
Thumbs Up just finished replacing the gasket.

Thanks alot for the steps. There weren't any surprises at all, which was great. This is probably one of the best instructions (not limited to cars) i have ever come across...really appreciate the amazing details. Please keep up with the good work.
sl_e46_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #22
Chris3Duke

Ok, entry level questions here...

Any way to know if you need to do this, or is this simply preventative maintenance? What would be a good mileage to do it at? I'm at 115k.

Where are people ordering the parts? Tischer? Anyone have a parts list with #'s? How much are we talking here?
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #23
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
No need to do it unless you have an oil leak from the VCG. Great write up

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:13 AM   #24
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
how long is this job?
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #25
ginpunk

My Ride: E46
74,000 Miles About a 3 hour job going really slow.

Mine started leaking really bad.

This is the best DIY on this subject!!!!

Looks pretty good inside---running BMW approved Valvoline Synpower.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0774.JPG
Views:	1134
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	431600  
ginpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #26
Alanz0

My Ride: 325i
Will be doing this next weekend! I see some oil residue by my vanos and around the sides of the gasket. This will be real handy when I'm doing the job! Thanks!
Alanz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #27
sam1el

My Ride: 2000 Bmw 323I
I've had my car about 6 months. I noticed some pretty bad smoking when I first bought it and went looking for a diy and found this one pretty quickly. I'm not unfamiliar with a wrench. Being a fresh convert from old school chevy (traded my 55 Bel air for my 2000 323i) I was pretty intimidated at the thought of changing this gasket. Between this write up and my mechanical knowledge I was able to do this in under 2 hours. Best write up I have ever used. Thanks a ton.

+1
sam1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
alpine325coupe

My Ride: 2004 M3 SG/IR
Did this yesterday. I had someone helping me and it only took us an hour, then another hour waiting for silicone to dry. Great write-up!

Mods: OEM MTech II, Tein Super Street Coilovers, Rogue RSMs, Alcantara wheel, Depo p46, smoked corners, clear sidemarkers, LED taillights, matte black grille, Meyle HD FCABs, 35% tints
alpine325coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #29
Tony3series

My Ride: 2003 325Ci (5-speed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvert View Post
Great writeup! I just did this replacement today as mine was leaking oil like crazy (also had to replace oil level sender and do an oil change, but that's unrelated!).

Car drives fine - but after a 45 minute drive on the freeway the SES light came on with codes P0171 and P0174.... something about it running lean. I cleaned off the head and valve cover well before placing them on, used a small amount of RTV as indicated, and tightened the nuts well. Any thoughts as to why this is coming up? Car seems to be running fine!
Sounds like you've got misfires from a vacuum leak. Probably from valve cover. Did you torque it all down properly to spec?

I did my valve cover gasket while doing my Vanos seals. Afterwards I was getting misfires on all cylinders with my peake tool. I just built a smoke tester and ran it on my car. Found the valve cover was leaking. So I will be replacing it again.

When I did my valve cover gasket I put the gasket on the head first which is where I think I made my mistake. The little fin that runs around the gasket and fits into the cover itself most likely was smashed down in some spots, even though I was careful placing it on. Shoulda known better, it didn't seem right while I was doing it. My neighbor decided to come and hang out while he was drunk off his ass HaHa He ended up drivin me nuts while I was trying to finish the job. So I was rushing to finish so I could get rid of him.

Anyway, you could:

1. Check the torque on the bolts to see if some are loose. (Use a proper torque wrench if you didn't the first time.)

2.Spray starter fluid around valve cover where it meets head while engine running. If engine idle changes while spraying in an area then its probably leaking from there. (You might not be able to spray enough of the fluid in some spots, so you might not find all leaks this way.)

3. You can build yourself a smoke tester to REALLY find out where the leaks are coming from.

Great write up by the way!
2003 BMW 325ci: Sport package, F1 Racing Stage II clutch/lightweight flywheel, AFE intake, Ebay headers,KONI YELLOWS/new mounts, Beisan Vanos seals, angel eyes, CDV delete, Curt trailer hitch, LED tails, lip spoiler, blacked out grill&trim&bumper reflectors. Tons of maintenance items done.
Tony3series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #30
Alanz0

My Ride: 325i
Do you guys recommend doing the vanos deals even if its not giving me a big problem yet? ( cold start idles with a slight rattle then goes away). Is it a hard job?
Alanz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #31
Bmw_fever

My Ride: 01' 325i ZSP ZCW
nice write up very clear
Bmw_fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #32
IxIFelIxI

My Ride: 2002 330xi
I intend to do it during the upcoming weekend. Just wondering here... would it hurt to apply RTV Red High Temp Silicone around the whole perimeter of the head?
IxIFelIxI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #33
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by IxIFelIxI View Post
I intend to do it during the upcoming weekend. Just wondering here... would it hurt to apply RTV Red High Temp Silicone around the whole perimeter of the head?
Some use RTV on just the half moons.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #34
IxIFelIxI

My Ride: 2002 330xi
yeah i figured from the posts lol. it's just that i saw a few mechanics use the silicon all over the area where the gasket should sit. they argued that it is more reliable to apply silicon all over the area rather than selected spots. i saw them doing it on makes like Opel and Honda... so i am wondering .. would it hurt if we do the same to the BMW?
IxIFelIxI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #35
yoshii

My Ride: 323i 2k
Great write up just finished up
Old 02-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #36
Gloveofpower

My Ride: 2001 330i 5spd
This is a superb thread. I think I am going to attempt a VCG replacement sometime in the near future. I see the Vanos is also a logical thing to replace while you're in there. I was planning on doing spark plugs anyway, so there's that too.

My question is, if my VCG leak is not that bad, how long can it wait before repair?? Is there any danger in waiting a bit?

Reason I ask is that I see you need to drain the oil to do the Vanos seal replacement. I'd like to wait until my next oil change if that is the case, which isn't for another 2000 miles yet, or maybe a month or two for me.
Gloveofpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #37
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloveofpower View Post
This is a superb thread. I think I am going to attempt a VCG replacement sometime in the near future. I see the Vanos is also a logical thing to replace while you're in there. I was planning on doing spark plugs anyway, so there's that too.

My question is, if my VCG leak is not that bad, how long can it wait before repair?? Is there any danger in waiting a bit?

Reason I ask is that I see you need to drain the oil to do the Vanos seal replacement. I'd like to wait until my next oil change if that is the case, which isn't for another 2000 miles yet, or maybe a month or two for me.
Just keep an eye on your oil level.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:36 AM   #38
flying330ci

My Ride: Bmw330ci
To check for a vacuum leak what is the best way to do it? I am throwing a 171 and 174 code as well so it could be a vacuum leak somewhere. Thanks! great post you all!
flying330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #39
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by IxIFelIxI View Post
Yeah... As long as you never have to touch it again. If you ever have to take the valve cover off again... You'll want to put a gun to your head! That **** can be a ***** to take off!
Old 03-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #40
OldChevelle

My Ride: 1985 BMW 325e
Awesome write-up, been putting off replacing mine for waaaaaaaay too long...