E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #141
kowalzekc

My Ride: 99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE97 View Post
There is a torque pattern. I do not have it handy. You start from the middle working crisscross towards both ends. Similar to tightening an intake manifold on a V8 of a 40 year old car.
Agree, start on one side, go straight accross, then just creat a circle going outwords. DO NOT START AT THE ENDS.
kowalzekc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #142
pmagloir

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
I would appreciate some advice: I just broke a stud on top of the VCG as my torque wrench was not properly calibrated. How can I take it off?
pmagloir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #143
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmagloir View Post
I would appreciate some advice: I just broke a stud on top of the VCG as my torque wrench was not properly calibrated. How can I take it off?
Drill the stud and use an "easy-out" or screw extractor.
Looks something like this-

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Rickna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #144
Nickvjr

My Ride: 2004 330Ci Conv.
Send a message via AIM to Nickvjr Send a message via Yahoo to Nickvjr Send a message via Skype™ to Nickvjr
I used this extra or set to remove broken VCG bolts from my cousins E90 last year. Take your time when drilling... slow and steady wins this race! Good Luck!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #145
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmagloir View Post
no need for an extractor, if you just broke the stud part in the cap nut.
Just remove the VC and use 10mm socket to remove the broken stud.

Buy a replacement stud and nut cap from the dealer if you are in a pinch.
A set will cost you almost $10 for a set.
Its not cheaper online too.

Been there done that.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #146
pmagloir

Thank you all for your responses. As Tri indicated, I was able to remove the broken stud with a 10mm socket. I just got the stud from the dealership and I was wondering how tight it should be?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #147
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
10nm.. double check on page 1 of this thread..
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #148
Jperry666

My Ride: 2002 325i 5spd
Did mine today. All went smooth. Spark plugs were sh*t.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Jperry666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #149
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
For those looking for the right sealant to use:

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...t_Dressing.htm

The manual calls for "3-bond 1209" but it appears its very hard to get anymore. Some BMW dealerships are using Hylomar Universal Blue instead. I have yet to see an official document from BMW on this though.

Hylomar was bought by Permatex.

The product descriptions for Permatex Ultra Rubber Gasket Sealant (#85409) is nearly identical to Hylomar Universal Blue.

Additionally it is specifically for sealing rubber gaskets and keeping that rubber soft and pliable. Our valve cover gaskets are rubber.

In my opinion, using the Permatex 85409 is the best solution here to ensure long seal life and lowest chance of leaks.

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #150
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
There certainly are choices for the sealer used. I used Permatex Ultra Copper, following the Beisan Systems procedure, as I was doing the vanos at the same time. It's done fine for the past 17K miles.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #151
pmagloir

Thank you OP for the excellent step-by-step directions. Unfortunately, after changing the VCG, I noted that the red oil light is flashing intermittently when I am driving at low RPMs or at a stop light. I checked to see if there were any leaks and I do not see any. Oil level is fine. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this issue?
Old 10-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #152
Sansho

Red oil lamp means low oil pressure. Perhaps that sensor coincidentally is failing?
Part #12 below, list $12 BMW, discounting dealer ~$9.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #153
farukh

My Ride: BMW 325i 2002
Hi, great thread! I have a question though about the torque! 10 nm - what exactly does that mean... or actually, without even getting into technical details, how would I know that I tightened the valve cover properly?
farukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #154
Sansho

You would use a torque wrench to show when you've reached 10nm. Newton meters (nm) is a measure of torque, just like foot lbs or inch lbs. Torque wrenches can come with a dial (mechanical or electronic) or just click when you hit the value you set.

Last edited by Sansho; 10-28-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Sansho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:01 AM   #155
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Torque is a measurement of force, or in this case how tight the nuts/bolts are. For the valve cover it is important to have uniform torque.

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Rickna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:18 AM   #156
tttomttt

My Ride: 2003 330xi
permatex

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
For those looking for the right sealant to use:

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...t_Dressing.htm

The manual calls for "3-bond 1209" but it appears its very hard to get anymore. Some BMW dealerships are using Hylomar Universal Blue instead. I have yet to see an official document from BMW on this though.

Hylomar was bought by Permatex.

The product descriptions for Permatex Ultra Rubber Gasket Sealant (#85409) is nearly identical to Hylomar Universal Blue.

Additionally it is specifically for sealing rubber gaskets and keeping that rubber soft and pliable. Our valve cover gaskets are rubber.

In my opinion, using the Permatex 85409 is the best solution here to ensure long seal life and lowest chance of leaks.
Oxygen sensor safe? Went through their MSDS and instructions but could not find any info.
tttomttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #157
farukh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
You would use a torque wrench to show when you've reached 10nm. Newton meters (nm) is a measure of torque, just like foot lbs or inch lbs. Torque wrenches can come with a dial (mechanical or electronic) or just click when you hit the value you set.

Damn, I didn't even know such exist lol I wonder how much they are... gotta do my research! Thanks!
Old 11-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #158
Rumplemenz

My Ride: 330i zhp, GCSRT8
First off thanks to the OP... DIY's are such a huge help and wow he sure did take his time with the write up.. awesome

ON ANOTHER NOTE SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE

1 - Follow the proper tq specs
2 - Use proper technique in tightening VC bolts

Why am I saying this? Well I replaced my gasket about 2 years/20k miles ago. And the famous smell thru the cabin vents has returned. I need to replace the valve cover gasket once again (slight leak in rear and in front)

I didn't follow proper tq specs and I didn't tighten bolts, starting in the center, in a criss cross/star like pattern.

So don't be like me and inconvenience yourself.

Do it right the first time!
Rumplemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #159
farukh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumplemenz View Post
First off thanks to the OP... DIY's are such a huge help and wow he sure did take his time with the write up.. awesome

ON ANOTHER NOTE SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE

1 - Follow the proper tq specs
2 - Use proper technique in tightening VC bolts

Why am I saying this? Well I replaced my gasket about 2 years/20k miles ago. And the famous smell thru the cabin vents has returned. I need to replace the valve cover gasket once again (slight leak in rear and in front)

I didn't follow proper tq specs and I didn't tighten bolts, starting in the center, in a criss cross/star like pattern.

So don't be like me and inconvenience yourself.

Do it right the first time!
+1
Old 11-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #160
edbubuli

My Ride: 325i
BMW in N.J is quoting me for the VCG for $600.00!!!! I'll try to check Bimmer Clinic near Avanel...
edbubuli is offline   Reply With Quote