E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
325i M56 SULEV Active Autowerke tune review

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I had my 2004 325i premium sport tuned by JLeviSW with an Active Autowerke Tune. As the title states, I've got a M56 SULEV engine (fully known as M56B25). I've put just shy of a 1000 miles on the car since the tune, so I thought I'd post up a review.

The tune had an immediate effect, however it was mostly with throttle response. The throttle response seemed a lot more sporty, noticeable so. There seemed like there was a modest midrange improvement in power, but nothing exceptional...but wait.

I was talking to the guys at JLevi while the car was being tuned and they said that it may take a few days for the ECU to fully adapt to the new software. 3 nights later, I went to pick up my girlfriend from school and as soon as I pulled out of the subdivision the car felt COMPLETELY different. It genuinely surprised me with how it drove. Merging onto the freeway, the car pulled like I could not believe. It seems like 2,700 RPM seems the magic number, because no matter what gear, as soon as it gets over 2,700 RPM it pulls like it never did before.

The car is far more drivable as it does not downshift as often; passing and merging are all easier. It could just be me, but I'll swear that there is slightly more induction noise as RPM builds. My previous car was a Lexus ES 300 with 200 hp and 200 lb-ft of torque. The 325i now feels like it pulls harder than the Lexus.

An added bonus out of all of this is MPG improvement. Prior to the tune, I was getting 18.3 MPG according to the OBC (without my roof rack). Currently, with my roof rack and a bike holder on, I'm getting 19.4 MPG.

The only engine modifications made to the vehicle is a K&N drop-in panel filter, as well as removing the secondary hydrocarbon filter in the lid of the air box (unique to the SULEV engines).

In conclusion, I'd highly recommend anyone with a SULEV to check out getting it tuned! I also highly recommend JLeviSW, those guys are extremely helpful and great to deal with!

UPDATE: I removed the front tire tie down point from my bike rack and now I'm at 19.6 MPG

Last edited by briangl92; 11-19-2011 at 10:16 PM.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
nice review glad to here.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
Bryan@Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: E46 330i ZSP
Send a message via AIM to Bryan@Jlevi SW
I am glad you are enjoying the tune! Thanks for taking the time to write a review.
Bryan@Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #4
briangl92

Just thought I'd post a quick update. Still feels like there's more low and midrange torque (DSC agrees with me in the wet...that was never an issue before the tune), and I dumped some Redline fuel injector cleaner in and my average MPG has gone up to 20.0.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
Bryan@Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: E46 330i ZSP
Send a message via AIM to Bryan@Jlevi SW
Bryan@Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
DJ RaMiN

My Ride: 02 325I,03 M3
Nice Review man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by albeee View Post
BMW driver complaining about $250? That's lunch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323ci newbie View Post
Man, you all is best!
Here is my Facebook page, Like me maybe:
https://www.facebook.com/DJRaMiNUS
DJ RaMiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
briangl92

Thanks! I'm up to 20.6 MPG after the new tstat went in

Tags