E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
tooredhots

My Ride: '01 325ci vert
Pricing for a clutch replacement

I am in need of getting my clutch replaced. I have called the two local places I usually deal with. One is an independent european speciality garage, the other the dealership. Neither has done any major work to my car, I mostly buy parts from them both.

They are both located here in Albuquerque. The independent is Haans Wittler's automotive. They quoted me $1200, parts and labor for the job.

The other is my local BMW dealership, Sandia BMW, they quoted 1400 for the job.

Does this seem like the going rate for a clutch replacement? I just asked for a quick quote from each place. I dont imagine this includes a flywheel if it needs it. Has anyone ever haggled the pricing on repairs? The dealership has a special on parts and service of 20% off for cars '99 and older. I wonder if they would extend this deal to my '01.

Bone stock, style 68s FTW!
tooredhots is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
OP, what's the mileage on your Bimmer ?

Typically the Best price on "just labor" (no parts) for a clutch job, would be about $400, $500 at the most. If you shop the job around town, tell them you'd pay cash if that helps get it done for cheap. If you buy the parts, that would probably be the cheapest; just make sure you buy the right parts. If they buy the parts, they will add about 20% to the Retail cost of the parts.

http://realoem.com/bmw/

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...93&hg=21&fg=05

Using this info you can search out the cheapest parts, always start first with our Forum Sponsors.

I found this one at Forum Sponsor Turner Motorsports.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-36...-25-z4-25.aspx

Good luck.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
tooredhots

The mileage is 142,000. I bought the car with 100,000 on it. The friction point has always been high. It is now slipping.

The independent mechanic is using a luk clutch kit.

I may try to purchase a kit before I take it in on Monday of next week.

I just hesitated to buy a clutch from another source because I know how mechanics are about using other parts.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
NewBorned21

My Ride: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooredhots View Post
The mileage is 142,000. I bought the car with 100,000 on it. The friction point has always been high. It is now Aftermarket parts.

The independent mechanic is using a luk clutch kit.

I may try to purchase a kit before I take it in on Monday of next week.

I just hesitated to buy a clutch from another source because I know how mechanics are about using other parts.
How much are you willing to pay? $350 is how much I bought my clutch kit.
NewBorned21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
tooredhots

I made an appointment for Monday, I don't think I will get a better deal. I called around town and everyone is quoting more. One shop I called quoted 1150, with a sacks clutch kit. They offered a luk kit for 150 more. They also said they will have the flywheel resurfaced i had to tell them it is a dual mass and is not machineable. The shop I selected is a German specialty shop.