E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance
Everything to make your car faster! Air intakes, superchargers, turbos, flywheel & clutch, differentials, chips, short shift kits, exhausts, etc.....

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #21
CaptainMorganS4

My Ride: 01BMW330CI SOLDb5s4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Can you quantify what you mean by massive oil leak? Is it a measurable amount lost every time you drive it? Is it leterally pouring oil? Because it is not unusual for the oil filter housing gasket to leak on older cars. It may look like a lot, but it really is not that much. Also, it is almost impossible to tell if the oil pan gasket is leaking with the filter housing gasket leaking. I understand you are disappointed about the problems, but it almost sounds like you are just giving up andw taking a big loss, rather than trying to fix the car. You mention several leaks, but these are all repairable, and not at a huge cost. The transmission issue may not be a horrible deal either. You may want to take a deep breath, and make an honest assessment of exactly how bad the leaks are. You got screwed over somewhat (maybe a lot) by the seller, but don't screw yourself worse by selling a car for a loss. Get a few opinions about the severity and cost involved to fix the oil leaks. My advice would be to slow down, and not let your emotion force you in to selling the car for a loss. You have some leaks, and that sucks. But they may not be "game over" leaks. So, let's start with what you consider a massive oil filter housing leak. How much oil are we talking about? Any pics?
sorry i didn't address all of your questions.. were talking about almost a quart a day. there is visible leakage from the oil filter housing but what troubles me is a huge puddle of oil and maybe dirt on the left side (passenger side)of the engine. it might be the CVV or Vanos oil line leaking and its all gathering in that one area. its on its ORIGINAL VANOS SEALS THAT NEEDED REPLACEMENT THOUSANDS OF MILES AGO! the guy didn't replace anything unless he HAD to so theres really no telling how many problems im going to have. if he did install a short shift kit and messed it all up.. im going to use my common sense and guess its going to need a whole new transmission $$$ i honestly couldn't do this to another person so i can't imagine why this guy couldn't just tell the truth.

like father.. like son

Last edited by CaptainMorganS4; 11-29-2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: added problems
CaptainMorganS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #22
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMorganS4 View Post
i got a text message today from a dallas,tx number that said "relieve the hurt in your pocket by going to www.atmsafemutal.com... OBTAIN UP TO 0NE THOUSAND NOW(type #STOP to end).. i almost stopped what i was doing and slammed my phone into the counter. im so close to taking that 3&hour drive.

What you mentioned here has nothing to do with the guy that sold you the car. It is a text version of a spam email. Somehow, they got your number, and are texting you scam offers. For some reason, the phone company calls them "subscriptions", and you can get charged every time you receive one of these. You need to reply with the word "STOP". It happened to a friend of mine. It turned out one of his kids had clicked on a popup ad on the computer for a free horoscope or a free game, etc., and entered their phone number. They will then send these messages to you, and they can cost as much as $10 each. So, you need to text the word "STOP" to them, and call your cell provider, and make sure you were not charged for the original message, and let them know that you sent a "STOP" message. If you were charged, they will usually remove the charges. Don't mess around with this. Call the cell provider ASAP. My friend got a $600 phone bill because of these. They figured out that their son had either texted one of these companies, or entered their phone number into an online popup ad. Maybe it was not anyone in your family (I don't want to get anyone in trouble). Sometimes, they just seem to get ahold of your cell number. I know you are pissed at the guy that old you the car, but I think this is just a coincidence. But seriously, call your cell provider right away, before you start getting charged.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #23
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
$500 is what these are going for people, stop giving OP retarded offers. If you don't want his then go to eBay and pay $1000 to that dealer who is selling the few they kept when everybody else blew theirs out a while back
Someone took their hostile pills today. I did not see a single offer, lowball or otherwise in any of the posts before you wrote this. Everyone either said they sent a PM, or asked him to PM them. Your comment seems to be out of left field. Were there lowball offers posted that have been deleted?
Old 12-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #24
CaptainMorganS4

Quote:
Someone took their hostile pills today. I did not see a single offer, lowball or otherwise in any of the posts before you wrote this. Everyone either said they sent a PM, or asked him to PM them. Your comment seems to be out of left field. Were there lowball offers posted that have been deleted?
shut your computer. i got a PM that was lowballing and i let HERMES know how e46fanatics.com forums work.. crappy

the car is SOLD but the strut bar is still FOR SALE. It has the hardware that it HAS to have for installation.. i dont know if it will work on anything else than a 2001 330ci.

like father.. like son

Last edited by CaptainMorganS4; 12-02-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: changed "mouth" to computer.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #25
boltan
Banned User

My Ride: 2004 330ci
dude, when I sold mine I got and offer of $150 and I said no thanks. Then the guy came back with $175 and was super bitter that I didn't accept that either. Good luck!
boltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #26
WheyArea

My Ride: '03 TiAg ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltan View Post
dude, when I sold mine I got and offer of $150 and I said no thanks. Then the guy came back with $175 and was super bitter that I didn't accept that either. Good luck!
Lol that's awesome. I understand the frustration on both sides though. The bar is a nice piece but BMW overpriced it and now owners have no choice but to try and recoup a respectable amount

/// Dinan ECU /// Brembo BBK /// BBS LM 19" /// Bilstein PSS10
/// Eisenmann Exhaust /// Supersprint Mid Pip /// AC Schnitzer Spoiler
/// Hamann Lip /// AC Schnitzer CF Diffuser /// K&N CAI /// Valentine 1

Coming Soon...... OEM SSK, CSL bootlid
WheyArea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #27
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMorganS4 View Post
shut your computer. i got a PM that was lowballing and i let HERMES know how e46fanatics.com forums work.. crappy

the car is SOLD but the strut bar is still FOR SALE. It has the hardware that it HAS to have for installation.. i dont know if it will work on anything else than a 2001 330ci.
Wow. My post was not directed to you, but to Hermes. I did not understand the hostility, and really still don't. And I definitely don't understand your hostility towards me either. Like I said, I did not see any lowball offers, so his post did not make a lot of sense. But it has nothin to do with the forums being crappy. Some people do not know what these bars are worth, and I will admit that I did not either, until I did some research. But if you don't post a starting price, then people will just throw out numbers until you give some guidelines. I don't think it is intended as an insult to you or Hermes. I also don't see how you came to the conclusion that the forum is crappy, especially since many people, including me, tried to help you out with advice, rather than seeing you throw away $7k. Almost everyone tried to offer some helpful advice, just because we were concerned about your situation. So, instead of recognizing that, you decide we are all crappy, because you got some lowball offers? Not only that, I also took the time to warn you that the text message you received was a possible scam, and gave you advice about how to prevent that from becoming a gigantic phone bill. So, for all of that, I get you telling me to "shut my mouth" (which I see has now been edited). This whole thread is strange, and I am sorry I ever bothered to click on it, or tried to offer any advice. That will teach me to stop trying to be helpful. And BTW - try getting mad at the people who you feel wronged you so badly by lowballing you on the price, instead of me. I never even made an offer.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #28
CaptainMorganS4

Quote:
Wow. My post was not directed to you, but to Hermes. I did not understand the hostility, and really still don't. And I definitely don't understand your hostility towards me either. Like I said, I did not see any lowball offers, so his post did not make a lot of sense. But it has nothin to do with the forums being crappy. Some people do not know what these bars are worth, and I will admit that I did not either, until I did some research. But if you don't post a starting price, then people will just throw out numbers until you give some guidelines. I don't think it is intended as an insult to you or Hermes. I also don't see how you came to the conclusion that the forum is crappy, especially since many people, including me, tried to help you out with advice, rather than seeing you throw away $7k. Almost everyone tried to offer some helpful advice, just because we were concerned about your situation. So, instead of recognizing that, you decide we are all crappy, because you got some lowball offers? Not only that, I also took the time to warn you that the text message you received was a possible scam, and gave you advice about how to prevent that from becoming a gigantic phone bill. So, for all of that, I get you telling me to "shut my mouth" (which I see has now been edited). This whole thread is strange, and I am sorry I ever bothered to click on it, or tried to offer any advice. That will teach me to stop trying to be helpful. And BTW - try getting mad at the people who you feel wronged you so badly by lowballing you on the price, instead of me. I never even made an offer.
yea man when i read your comment on hermes i was just in a bad mood so i said shut your mouth. then after i posted that i read your post on the text messages.. thanks man looks like we can all be the bad/good guy depending on the perspective looking at it.. right now the original owner of my lemon 330ci is reading this thread laughing his ass off with his pockets lined with money... so i got what was coming to me don't worry about the hostility bro.. go about your business with your non crappy forum members.

like father.. like son
Old 12-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #29
afewbimmers

My Ride: alot of bmw's
Send a message via AIM to afewbimmers
How old are you? I'll buy your car for $3500 pay to have it shipped here. Jesus man, I understand you are upset but your attitude towards others will absolutely get you no where. Free bump.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #30
CaptainMorganS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by afewbimmers View Post
How old are you? I'll buy your car for $3500 pay to have it shipped here. Jesus man, I understand you are upset but your attitude towards others will absolutely get you no where. Free bump.
for sure. STRUT BAR IS STILL FOR SALE. Make me a reasonable offer and its yours..

like father.. like son
Old 12-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #31
bullfrogs_M3

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Was there a price on the bar? I see a lot of talk about your car, but no price? Or did I just miss it somewhere..... sorry
Old 01-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #32
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 323i
This ever get settled?

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780058
BigDRick323 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #33
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
Quote:
Forgot about this thread. Sorry, I was told via PM about the offers he received. IIRC somebody offered him $100 shipped, that is honestly a ridiculous offer for the part. I wasn't trying to be an ass but the brace is worth around $500. That is what I've seen them go for, the $300 blowout sale when they got discontinued is no longer a reasonable price as nobody sells them for that now. If somebody is dying to have one and they want a brand new one there is a dealer on eBay selling them for $1000. Half that price is a steal in my honest opinion. A scratched one would be worth less but I believe this one is not that case. I agree with what you said in the quoted post as OP joined another forum I am a part of and we also tried to help him with his issues, unfortunately the car seems like it was more than he could deal with. I also agree that he should have listed a price to begin with. Once again I apologize if I came off like an ass but it wasn't directed at anybody who posted on this thread

Respect Your Elders
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:49 AM   #34
Diabolu$

My Ride: 330 ci supercharged
i offered you.
Diabolu$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:01 AM   #35
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
Forgot about this thread. Sorry, I was told via PM about the offers he received. IIRC somebody offered him $100 shipped, that is honestly a ridiculous offer for the part. I wasn't trying to be an ass but the brace is worth around $500. That is what I've seen them go for, the $300 blowout sale when they got discontinued is no longer a reasonable price as nobody sells them for that now. If somebody is dying to have one and they want a brand new one there is a dealer on eBay selling them for $1000. Half that price is a steal in my honest opinion. A scratched one would be worth less but I believe this one is not that case. I agree with what you said in the quoted post as OP joined another forum I am a part of and we also tried to help him with his issues, unfortunately the car seems like it was more than he could deal with. I also agree that he should have listed a price to begin with. Once again I apologize if I came off like an ass but it wasn't directed at anybody who posted on this thread

To be honest, I did not know that they were such a rare thing, until you mentioned it on this thread. I think they are way overpriced, for what they are. But, if the market supports it....
I was not interested in the bar. I just clicked in the link to see what it looked like, and got involved in the other drama. Hell, if I had made an offer, it probably would have been for $150, since I did not know they were worth so much. That was probably the case with a lot of the offers - people did not know it was worth so much money.
But the OP seemed to be going off the deep end about what was wrong with the car, all of which seemed fixable. I am guessing that there is a lot more to the story, and lots of drama. But, I guess it is all over and done now. Thanks for coming back and explaining a little about the problems.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:12 AM   #36
AudiEtr

My Ride: 330i
So is it still for sale?
Old 01-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #37
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
Quote:
To be honest, I did not know that they were such a rare thing, until you mentioned it on this thread. I think they are way overpriced, for what they are. But, if the market supports it....
I was not interested in the bar. I just clicked in the link to see what it looked like, and got involved in the other drama. Hell, if I had made an offer, it probably would have been for $150, since I did not know they were worth so much. That was probably the case with a lot of the offers - people did not know it was worth so much money.
But the OP seemed to be going off the deep end about what was wrong with the car, all of which seemed fixable. I am guessing that there is a lot more to the story, and lots of drama. But, I guess it is all over and done now. Thanks for coming back and explaining a little about the problems.
No worries. Yeah, BMW priced them at like $1600 new so they were overpriced to begin with. I think pricing was the same on the CF brace for the E9x (also discontinued now). The performance intake for the E46 was like $1000 new but like most of us who have it we paid around $300.

Respect Your Elders

Last edited by Hermes; 01-14-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #38
ZHPkid

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
i may be interested can you pm a price?
ZHPkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:05 AM   #39
Gotubch

My Ride: 01 LSB M3, +others
So how much is this strut bar? Or is it buy the strut bar get a free car? To much crap to read for a strut bar.... Someone please post a price!
Old 01-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #40
kakashi_sensi

My Ride: 01 e46 330i
i pm'd him a long time ago and not response