E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
MooflesThaCat

My Ride: 02 BMW 330i
Idle Control Valve Malfunction && System too Lean problems

Hello all,

I've been going through this neverending saga with my E46. It all started when my father acidentally yanked out the hose connecting my EVAP to the Intake Manifold. After a long disassembly and help from some members here I was able to take apart the manifold and reconnect it. Now I'm getting other codes and I could really use some help. First I got

Intake Control Valve Malfunction
System Too Lean (Bank 1)
System Too Lean (Bank 2)

I doubt the Intake Control Valve went bad right after changing the EVAP, so I removed it and cleaned it. I put everything back together, but now I have a wierd problem where if i rev the engine in Park to around 4-5000 RPM, when it drops down, it will drop to 1000 RPM and bounce between 1000 RPM to 1500 RPM, and It'l do this every second for about a minute or two. Then it will settle back to its normal rev. Also, now I have the following errors.

Intake Control Valve Malfuntion
MAF or VAF Circuit low
System Too Lean (Bank 1)
System Too Lean (Bank 2)

Also important to know, My lower boot, as well as all hosing leading to the MAF is NEW, as is the MAF. I also changed the Intake Manifold Gasket and the Valve Cover Gasket. Please help me before I drive this car off a cliff

Thanks!
MooflesThaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Jmarlowe330i

My Ride: 2003 330i
Have you checked your disa valve, it'll throw codes like that for both banks is the seal has went bad. If you have had it out and back in then this could also be your problem. If its in good condition, and you dont feel like spending an arm and a leg then RTV gasket maker all around the crappy seal and shove it back in there and let it sit over night. I hope this helps
Old 11-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
MooflesThaCat

I definitely will do that, but what do I do about the idle revving problem? When I get home I'll post a video so you know what I'm talking about.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
Jmarlowe330i

That is probably coming from the vaccum leak which is causing it to jump RPM. The pic is a picture of a brand new DISA valve. This is what the seal looks like new. A bad DISA valve seal will be flat and flush with both black edges. Another good way to know if the DISA valve seal is any good is, once you got it out if it slides right back in and out with basically no effort then its probably shot. When I put my new one in it was a fight to get it all the way, thanks to the new seal. Yours shouldnt be that hard going back in if its good but it should take a little effort and not just slide in and out.......pun intended ha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	disa.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	427070  
Old 11-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
****ing hate BMW seals.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
MooflesThaCat

Yea it's definitely shot because it's lose as ****. But what worries me is that the whole revving problem didn't happen until right after I cleaned my icv. Is it just the disa u think, or do I have to take out the icv again? Thanks a lot for your help btw!!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
Jmarlowe330i

hmm what did you use on your ICV when you cleaned it
Old 11-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
E46_330i_Stud

My Ride: 2004 330ci ZHP 6MT
This may sound funny but make sure the ICV is completely plugged back in. Happens more often than you'd think. Go ahead and fix the DISA seal as well, if it's not bad it will be soon.

1995 325i 5mt ArcticGrey/Dove - SOLD
2004 330ci ZHP 6MT SilberGrau/Black - SOLD
2001 330i M-Sport 5MT StaulGrau/Grey - SOLD
1992 Accord LX Sedan 275k miles all original - DAILY
2002 Chevy Suburban LT Autoride - TOY HAULER
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT - RACE TRUCK!
E46_330i_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
MooflesThaCat

Throttle body cleaner
Old 11-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
Jelly335

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330I
Send a message via AIM to Jelly335
im having the same problem just when i rev it the rpm will be bouncing also if i stay idling at a light n dont add gas it will start misfiring. ill check my disa valve

E46 330i retired
E92 335 current
<3 my one wheel wonder
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2269710/1
-Jeremy
Jelly335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
Jmarlowe330i

I thought so. Ok throttle body cleaner is great for getting the carbon out but it also is so good that it can over clean and make the valve sticky. What I would run through it is seafaom deep creep. Its a cleaner as well as a lubricant so it will keep the ICV working smoothly. While you got it back out make sure the blue thing (cant think of what to call it and I've never seen anybody say its gone bad and hardened up) that it goes into is rubber like and not hard or anything. When you put it back make sure its all the way in there and your ICV should be good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deepcreep.gif
Views:	42
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	427079  
Old 11-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
MooflesThaCat

I dd spray it with lubricant but ill pick up some of that just in case. Do they sell it at autoZone or pep boys or is it an online only product?
Old 11-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
Jmarlowe330i

yea autozone for sure thats were i got mine
Old 12-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #14
MooflesThaCat

OK this damn car is still shooting out codes. I cleaned the ICV again with Deep Creep and it ran for two cycles with no codes. Then on the third cycle it spit out

Idle Control Valve Malfunction
System too Lean (Bank 2)
Misfires in Cylinders 4-6

This car is really driving me crazy. I'd change the ICV but I'm not entirely sure it's really the problem.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #15
MooflesThaCat

anybody?
Old 12-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #16
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
It's good that you have the problem isolated in one bank. That sort of rules out the MAF and lower boot, but I don't think it rules out DISA or a leak from close to those cylinders. There's an intake air temp sensor that I believe is around there...might be closer to the front though.

If you had manifold off to fix things...I hate to suggest that might be an issue. Have you tried spraying a carb cleaner around to see if you get the engine to notice? That's one way of finding leaks...which it may indeed be.

I'm not sure what EVAP you were hooking into the manifold? The vac line from the SAP or do you mean part of the evap system?

Forgot to mention this too...if you were playing with the sap hose leaving the valve, then I wonder if maybe one of the 02 sensor connections might have been affected. I'd think the car would know this, but maybe a wire got kinked a bit and it lost some strands and thus its signal is off? I'm mostly making this up...doubt it's that, but keep an open mind. Odd things happen to cars all the time, but I like proximate causes the best. Did you remove icv to clean with deep creep?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 12-18-2011 at 12:32 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #17
nihad05

My Ride: E92 335i
i have been having this exact same issue. i also have a new maf and replaced some coils. i cleaned my ICV as well, and the reving started after that. my initial problem was my DISA valve was broken. I have fixed it but do need a new seal on the DISA, maybe it is the disa after all. thought maybe my issue n troubleshooting might help you out