E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 01:56 AM   #1
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
Slave cylinder went out on me woo hooo!!

Like the title states I'm about 99.9% sure my slave went out on me tonight. Started acted up the other night when the engagement point dropped almost to the floor. I was going to order a new from rmeuropean and then decided today that I would try the dealers but no joy none in stock. So I called carquest since they normally carry reputable manufacturors (sic). Bam sachs for 58 bucks vs. Fte (oe) for 58 from rm. So thankfully I told him to get it and it will be in the morning. I've got no problem running sachs since that's who made my bmw motorsport clutch a metric f ton of other oe parts.

Anywho I haven't been driving it since Saturday unless absolutely neccassery and low and behold pulling into my wifes friends house to pick up my wife tonight it finally blew completely. No more engaging disengaging of the clutch. So it looks like ill be replacing outside overthere tomorrow in the snow and ice in 32 degree weather before we rush to the airport. Yay! Just wanted to vent.

Perhaps when I get back from my trip and have the time ill post pics of said destroyed slave cyl. I just hope it didn't shoot the rod out and up into my flywheel.

And yes like I said I'm pretty darn sure its my slave.
I've lost half an inch worth of brake fluid from the resiovoir, engagement point moved down, veryshakey engagement once the symptoms started. The clutch isn't slipping no weird noises from my tob. Finally sulminating in loss of use of the clutch. Classic symptoms of a shot slave cylnider for those that may not know or maybe experiencing it.

End of my rant

P.s. for informational purposes its an 02 330I with 145k miles a uuc stage 1 lw flywheel and bmw(sachs) motorsport e36 m3 sprung hub clutch with 35k miles and a bunch of other shiat that gets beat to f, tracked, and autoxed so there you have it boys and girls
Sent from my SPH-M900 using Bimmer
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Did you check the master clutch cylinder thats inside of the car? Its such a pain to bleed that clutch.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
lejeunebimmer

Not yet. I threw the new one on Tuesday morning bled it and got most of the pedal feel back but still not 100% and still no luck on clutch disengagement. I'm going to check out the master cylinder on Sunday when I get back from va. As I'm still suspecting hydralics but if its not that then ill be stuck tearing apart my car when I hadn't planned on taking it down for a subframe reinforcement and diff swap until jan...

On a side note the slave I pulled out showed no signs of failure but that's what I get for making a diagnoses without doing any diagnostics in a hurry.

330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

Old 11-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
bigjae1976

The only other thing is the clutch master cylinder. Are you losing brake fluid in the brake master cylinder? Is your carpet wet near the clutch pedal? If not, plan on dropping your tranny. You did the right thing, I would rule out hydraulics first too. I'd hate to pull my tranny only to find out it was something simple like a slave cylinder.

I will wager a guess...your pressure plate is toasted.

Doesn't UUC use the M5 clutch for 5sp tranny's? And do remember to loctite your flywheel bolts on your 330...an non-M thing. For M cars...no loctite.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:04 AM   #5
lejeunebimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
The only other thing is the clutch master cylinder. Are you losing brake fluid in the brake master cylinder? Is your carpet wet near the clutch pedal? If not, plan on dropping your tranny. You did the right thing, I would rule out hydraulics first too. I'd hate to pull my tranny only to find out it was something simple like a slave cylinder.

I will wager a guess...your pressure plate is toasted.

Doesn't UUC use the M5 clutch for 5sp tranny's? And do remember to loctite your flywheel bolts on your 330...an non-M thing. For M cars...no loctite.
Got home last night, checked the master this morning it's fine.

UUC does use the M5 clutch kit for the Stage II, but I have Stage I so I use the E36M3 Motorsport Clutch.

Tore it down today, pressure plate is fine, the throwout bearing was in 13 pieces.

Stupid thing never even made a noise, it looks like somehow some a rock or something off the road found its way up in there, lodged between the throwout bearing and guide and caused an explosion.

So, it looks like I'll be dipping into my 3.38 diff swap, and subframe reinforcement fund to pay for the parts (but hey I'm getting a Z4 3.0 shifter while I'm at it...)

I'll try to post pics of the carnage eventually.

Last edited by lejeunebimmer; 11-28-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
bigjae1976

Well...good luck!
Old 11-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
lejeunebimmer

Quote:
Well...good luck!
Thanks!

Just ordered a new Clutch Kit from UUC and the flywheel friction surface.

Plus a Z4 3.0 shifter, Rear Main Seal, Piolt Bearing, Guide sleeve for the TOB, Guibo, and lots of little nuts and bolts, bushings etc for everything while I'm down there, plus dropped off the tranny to get the sticky 5th gear fixed since its out.

Total damage is 1,011.30 and thats with doing everything but the 5th gear detent spring myself

There goes all my fun money, simply because a 50 buck part decided to grenade for no apparent reason.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
bigjae1976

I know...I wish someone would make a better TOB. Oh the memories of doing my clutch in Korea with snow and 25 degree highs.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Years ago I bought the RRE synthetic filled bearing from UUC. I haven't had any issues. It's an OEM piece that's been cleaned and filled with synthetic.

Quote:
I know...I wish someone would make a better TOB. Oh the memories of doing my clutch in Korea with snow and 25 degree highs.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
bigjae1976

I might have to check that out. Or just try to repack an OEM bearing myself.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
lejeunebimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
Years ago I bought the RRE synthetic filled bearing from UUC. I haven't had any issues. It's an OEM piece that's been cleaned and filled with synthetic.
How much was it? I don't see it on Rob's site anymore....

Old 11-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #12
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
They don't offer it anymore. Funny story. I was doing my clutch/flywheel install and EVERYTHING was going wrong. I had the wrong flywheel to crank bolts (bought it used and the seller supplied new bolts but didn't realize that the UUC/Fidanza flywheel needed shorter than stock). Finally got that on, got the clutch on, and went to install the TOB. The RRE piece that I bought ended up being wrong. Rob couldn't replace it because I had actually bought it several years before when I had some store credit. I was in a pickle. I ended up disassembling both of the units and just replacing the bearing pack on the TOB that DID fit.

I never actually got ahold of RRE over the deal. Like James said, best bet might be a new OEM bearing, open it up, clean it out, repack with good synthetic grease.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
jared_wiesner
All Natural

My Ride: 1999 328i (M54b30)
You could drive it home clutchless
jared_wiesner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #14
lejeunebimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
You could drive it home clutchless
Been there done that before. Didn't feel like doing it again in twin cities traffic. I chose to use my aaa card that I've paid for for years but never use.

Either way its apart now, new parts are on the way and I should be putting it back together this weekend.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:40 PM   #15
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejeunebimmer View Post
Been there done that before. Didn't feel like doing it again in twin cities traffic. I chose to use my aaa card that I've paid for for years but never use.

Either way its apart now, new parts are on the way and I should be putting it back together this weekend.
GL i have a spare slave if needed. I didn't read the entire thread!
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #16
lejeunebimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
GL i have a spare slave if needed. I didn't read the entire thread!
Thanks, for the offer.

Long story short, it wasn't the slave. The T.O.B. grenaded.