E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
TURBO_S2K

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG
Intake Recommendations for E46 M3 (for best gains)

I heaard the best intake for E46 M3 is the CSL airbox.
I've searched and found some nice carbon intakes like

Evolve CSL air box
Carbonio Intake Kit
Delage Airbox

Which is the best for power gains? There are also some carbon intakes on eBay. What about those? Even those no name ones are like $1000+
TURBO_S2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
What about a DIY long-tube intake? Cost me around $100 and I bet my right arm that it's as good as anything on the market.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
hassmaschine

My Ride: '91 325ix
well, a CF airbox isn't going to be the best $/hp. But, I don't think you'd neccesarily do one for the HP alone. I think it's really more about the sound. If I had my choice of that list, I'd go for the Evolve box + tune.

I would avoid the cheap airboxes on Ebay. Most are going to be FRP with CF overlays, and who knows how well they are made. The airbox is important to the powerband of the engine, and $1000 is still pretty expensive. a little more gets you known quality.
hassmaschine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
flipm3

My Ride: 02 M3, 97 328i
Send a message via AIM to flipm3
Out of those three, the Evolve CF Airbox is easily the highest quality.

When looking for a CF Airbox, the most important part are the trumpets. A lot of those EBay CSL reps or CF Airboxes have altered trumpets that lead to a loss of power. Second, the quality of the CF. I know first hand that the quality of Evolve's CF is near OEM quality, if not better. My Evolve CF Airbox is very thick, strong, perfect weaves, etc. I have seen some reps that are so flimsy and weak. Evolve implemented internal CF bracing to add to the rigidity of the Airbox, similar to the OEM CSL internal bracing. You pay for what you get if that's what you're looking for. Despite having one of my own, I will agree that it's not the most bang for your buck. People buy these CF Airboxes knowing that ahead of time.

What these CF Airboxes do though is raise your potential in making more power out of your motor. When paired with stepped headers, freer flowing exhausts, and cams it will help you increase the potential of power compared to just sticking with OEM or any other intake.

My recommendation. If you are ready to spend the big bucks and go all out, Evolve or OEM CSL are the best out there. If you aren't, then stick with the OEM intake.

2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My Build Thread
Evolve Automotive CF Airbox & AlphaN . Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers & V1 SPipe
flipm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
You don't need an CF airbox or CF anything. Get yourself a long tube intake and call it a day.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
hassmaschine

My Ride: '91 325ix
who said anything about "needs"?
hassmaschine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
Rob1796

My Ride: 2006 350Z
If you are willing to spend the big bucks, the CSL style box plus a tune will get you the best results on the S54. If not, there is little power, if any, to really be had from intakes on the S54. If you want to have an intake but don't want to spend a few grand on a CSL style box and tune, just get the AFe or Macht Schnell intake elbow and higher flowing filter.