E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 05:21 AM   #1
gavin877

My Ride: 2002 E46 318CI
E46 key replacement

hey

does anyone know how to get a new key, does it have to go through the main dealer at a cost of 160 (ireland here )

or will someone else be able to any idea's folks?
gavin877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:54 AM   #2
TheJustAssassin

My Ride: 2003.5 e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin877 View Post
hey

does anyone know how to get a new key, does it have to go through the main dealer at a cost of 160 (ireland here )

Sorry, but you're stuck with going to the Stealership...it's all part of their theft deterrent campaign.

Did you lose your key or is it loss of remote function?

If it's the latter, then there is a battery replacement how-to in the DIY forum that you can use...although there may be other causes here.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
gavin877

yeah its the remote function going and i only got one key when i bought the car , would like a back up

i may try a bettery change

but that could leave me keyless if i mess up right?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
Better off just getting the new key from the dealer, since you only have one you can keep the current one as a spare afterwards, and you'll get a nice clean new key, better lock/unlock range too. ~$200
Old 04-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
Adamo99

My Ride: e39 530i, e93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by three2slick View Post
better lock/unlock range too.
Meh, hold the key up to your chin. Much higher increase in range than a new key.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
dmcalister

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG
^^ so true, and it works!
Old 04-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
gavin877

better start savings so!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
gavin877

what if i wanted a just the bare key ( i.e. not with the buttons just to open the doors and start the car is that cheaper does anyone know or even possible
Old 05-21-2009, 06:08 AM   #9
bmwownage

My Ride: 330i
How do they make the key anyway***65311; Do they just need the VIN or something and then replicate an exact key with remote***65311;
bmwownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:50 AM   #10
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
what if i wanted a just the bare key ( i.e. not with the buttons just to open the doors and start the car is that cheaper does anyone know or even possible
It's not possible, only through the dealer can you get a key that'll start your car.
You could just get the valet key from the dealer which will be cheaper than buying the full remote key.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #11
gavin877

yeah hi guys i got a service key from my dealer for 50

think thats about $30 it opens that car (has no buttons)

it just doesnt open the boot or glove box

weird
Old 05-27-2009, 11:31 PM   #12
reyex

My Ride: Was an AW Non-M =(
Send a message via MSN to reyex
That is actually the valet key, when you go to a place that has valet service you give them that key and you can lock your glove box with your regular key.

That way the valet guys can only turn on the car, no access to glove box or trunk...
reyex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:17 AM   #13
Steve@ASPTuning
ASPTuning

My Ride: 01' 320i
Did you make sure that you didn't accidentally un-sync the key from your car?

Try the re-initializing process first.
Then battery replacement as its the cheapest option.

All else fails -> buy new key.

and nvm... just read u got the valet key from the sounds of it.

Steve
ASPTuning
Steve@ASPTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
haZZard

My Ride: 1999 E46 318i
Quote:
hey

i was just about to post a question about buying a replacement key as mine is a bit worse for wear... so now i know.. 160euro!! damn! i'll be waiting a while before buying that so...
haZZard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #15
gavin877

Quote:
Originally Posted by haZZard View Post
i was just about to post a question about buying a replacement key as mine is a bit worse for wear... so now i know.. 160euro!! damn! i'll be waiting a while before buying that so...
i know yeah and that was from joe duffy

rang around other key replacement places and got quoted 220

as i said they will do you a valet/service key for 50 not sure how it looks and it hasnt got full functions
Old 06-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #16
bumere46

My Ride: E92
That way the valet guys can only turn on the car, no access to glove box or trunk...[/QUOTE]

lol but if they can open the doors, they can press the trunk release button and unlock the trunk?
bumere46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:50 PM   #17
officer140

My Ride: 01 330xi, 99 TLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere46 View Post
That way the valet guys can only turn on the car, no access to glove box or trunk...
lol but if they can open the doors, they can press the trunk release button and unlock the trunk?[/QUOTE]

If you manually lock your trunk with the key, you can't use the trunk button to unlock the trunk - it will only open with the key or remote.
officer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:52 PM   #18
bumere46

My Ride: E92
hmm I have to try that
bumere46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:19 AM   #19
gavin877

crazy stuff
Old 08-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #20
gowhitehat

My Ride: E46 330xi
Crazy stuff is right.
I have a locksmith friend with an AK90+ programmer which is basically a service programmer that has chip specific licenses to allow it to bypass the security bit on the motorola mcu that is on the ews board inside the white plastic ****er under your steering wheel. That steering wheel is 1000 bucks to replace so dont mess it up when you are doing this for a client. Apparently the AK300 can do this over obd and uses the canbus to program the mcu inside the ews unit but I don't believe that. I have also heard the newest digimasters can do this but read on.

If you need a new key and you don't have but more than just one key go to the dealership because the aftermarket keys will fall apart if they arent glued together and the sticker comes off if its not glued on. Also the flip key conversion kits you can get are garbage too.

So let's say you are an idiot like me, and you have one working key, you go to the dealer and get a new key so now you have two new keys from bmw that work, plus maybe a valet key that works.

DO NOT TRY TO PROGRAM AN AFTERMARKET KEY NEXT TO AN OFFICIAL KEY.

DO ALL YOUR PROGRAMMING AT THE SAME TIME WITH ALL THE KEYS IN THE EWS UNIT (2 masters, 1 valet, 1 spare) SO THE MILEAGE MATCHES ON BOTH MASTER KEYS.

For me I had two working keys plus a valet, but I got greedy and wanted to add the aftermarket key to have a full function spare. Big nono, because the new bmw key got an error.

Now BMW says its not a key warranty and I am disputing it with the CC company but still BS.

Now, because of this I am stuck with 8 of 10 slots taken up, with key 5 being master, key 6 being valet, and key 7 being the new second key. Key 8 was the aftermarket key that fell apart. Now key 7 won't start the car but will unlock it, and key 5 won't unlock it anymore, but key 5 and 6 still start the car.

I asked all the EWS programmer sites and locksmiths I know and no one knows. The mechanics say it's the key and should be under warranty, but I paid another 210 for the dealer to tell me it's not the key it's the EWS unit.

It's looking like I have to figure out how to reflash the entire EWS unit or replace it for 300 bucks and have it programmed by BMW for another 400 bucks.

Now, if you read this far and are laughing please clue me in on why I am getting write errors on the AK90+ and why the key only starts it once and then gets kicked out of the EWS?

--

After much googling I came across this article,http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...56/index2.html, cleaned the contacts and got Write OK with AK90+. BTW I also downloaded the most up to date driver and software I could find for it.

Now keys 5, 6, and 7 start it, and the trick was to make sure the first type transponder is for original keys and the second type is for aftermarket keys.

Also make sure you disable any key slots you aren't using for faster authentication and initialization and back up all your bin files.

PM or email me if you have any issues, I am in the bay area and can help you stay away from the stealership if you want.

Last edited by gowhitehat; 08-05-2014 at 12:30 AM.
gowhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote