E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 05:32 AM   #1
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Kalim's S54 Sedan Swap (Warning: Pic heavy)

Well, this has been a long time coming to say the least. Some of you with long memories might remember I've wanted to do this swap since I bought the car.

A couple of years ago, I got around to doing the first phase of it, namely the LSD swap and the Turner subframe reinforcement kit:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...356&highlight=

I also picked up an S54 swap locally so I could get the ball rolling:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...034&highlight=

But there was no way I was going to do that in the carport at my apartment (and believe me, I was tempted since I had already changed the motor in the E30 there).

So I moved to a small house with a big garage and as luck would have it, found an M3 for sale with a blown motor. Perfect rolling test stand, right? I had to pop the motor in to test it out:

I learned a lot thanks that car and I felt ready to start working on the sedan. Unfortunately, projects came up, the house was torn down and I had to move yet again, so the swap was derailed once more. On the bright side, I've been using that M3 as a beater for a year now!

After the move, things didn't settle down at all. My garage was constantly occupied by local fanatics, which has been awesome, but I couldn't help feel a little restless about getting on with my own project. The nagging from the guys in Norcal General Chat certainly wasn't going to stop until I did something about it, haha. So I took a good long look at my Brigitte and resolved to gitterdone.

IMG_2102 copy by cyberkaa, on Flickr

2003 325i, steptronic, japanrot on sand, 54675 miles, lovingly cared for - a car that's been an absolute dream to own.

I gave her a bath the day before I planned to start disassembly and went out for her final photo shoot as a 325i along with Arrows and his boosted sedan. The next morning, I took her for the biennial smog check and the numbers came back darn near perfect.

That evening, Miles (mkodama) and I got to work.

The Plan:
-Swap in an S54 along with the M3 6MT.
-Make the MSS54 DME interface with the sedan body harness without hacking the OEM wiring up.
-Keep as many of the sedan modules as possible.
-Make it smog legal according to California's engine change and emissions requirements.

And so it begins...

Stock engine bay:

Starting disassembly. Intake and strut brace out.

Front end coming off. Wires all labeled. Bumper and lights removed.

Bumper shocks and front air duct off.

Coolant drained before removing the radiator. Here's the block drain for reference:

I'm amazed by how clean the aluminum looks under there:

Radiator out. I left the A/C and P/S lines connected. S54 in the background:

Working underneath the car, exhaust and coverings out. Next up, drive shaft:

This is the custom drive shaft I had made to bolt an M3 diff up to a steptronic:

Supervisors Drew (Drewdown) and Kyle (323ci newbie) make sure the swap goes smoothly:

Pull off the positive lead that runs across the engine. (Note reverse mounted hood sensor, modified for OEM strut brace).

Brake booster sucking jet pump coming out:

Next, the engine harness connectors get pulled from the DME. Harness stays with the motor.

Switching gears for a bit, we do a little prep work on the S54, starting with a valve adjustment and spark plug change. Parts:

Valve cover off and spark plug holes stuff to prevent things (especially shims) from falling in:

Pretty neat setup. Clearance is measured between the cam lobe (turned upwards) and the follower. Shim is barely visible above the valve spring retainer:

Newer heads (this one is an '04) have meshes covering the oil drains (just past the torx bolt head) so shims and large debris don't fall down:

All done. Add RTV to the joints as specified in TIS, replace gaskets, and we're done:

Valve cover was pretty clean:

Had a good crowd the day the engine was pulled. A couple of people took pictures of the process so I don't have them, but it's pretty straightforward. In any case, this boat anchor is out:

Empty engine bay. A/C components tied off to the side and P/S reservoir held in place to prevent spillage:

I had already accumulated a lot of the parts to do the swap, but I still needed to pick up many small items that fit in between the big components. The main areas that I needed parts for were:
-Fuel system
-Power steering
-Clutch control
-Cooling unit

We'll start with the fuel system upgrade. The M3 has a higher pressure fuel system and uses quick disconnect fittings on the high-pressure side. I already had the pumps and regulator, so I just had to pick up lines, fuel filter, o-rings and clamps. (Note: the return line is missing since it got stuck in customs on the way from Germany):

Fuel pressure regulator installed on filter. A bit different from the non-M. The M3 has a screw-on block that contains the return line and replaceable FPR. The non-M version has everything built into the filter.

Start off just like we're doing a fuel pump change. Here's the passenger side with the high-pressure line disconnected. Ear clamps are a pain. The new line has a quick-disconnect fitting on it instead of the barb+clamp non-M setup.

Roughly where the new line has to run:

I had less than half a tank of gas before starting. I guess the transfer pump did its job and moved all of the fuel to the right lobe. Down there is the plastic receptacle that the transfer pump line attaches to.

And here's the M3 baffle installed into it:

Moving on to the left side, pull the return line off the sending unit:

Before installing the sending unit, remove the old transfer pipe and install the M3 one into the baffle. I didn't see much of a difference between the non-M and M versions.

M3 sending unit installed:

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge

Last edited by cyberkaa; 12-21-2011 at 03:34 AM.
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:32 AM   #2
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
M3 fuel pump installed:

Time for the lines. Here's a comparison shot. The non-M lines are on top and the M3 ones are below. The return lines are identical, but the high-pressure lines have different fittings, as above.

Have to unclip the line on the far right from the brackets on top of the fuel tank. These are really tough to see, but you can feel for them. The line to be removed is on the far right:

There's also a bracket at the front of the tank:

I had to lower the tank one side at a time to make enough room to clip the new line in. Left brace undone:

Mounting nut in the middle removed and e-brake lines unclipped:

Once that's done, switch to the right side. Similar bracket here:

Finally, fuel line connected:

Same for the sender:

And here's the metal high pressure line installed. The return line is left hanging until I get that shipment.

Might as well change the shifter. Steptronic gearshift on the way out:

Lot's of pieces to pull off and wires to unplug:

Finally:

While we're here, might as well put the new boot and lever in. The foam insulation is also specific to the manual shifter.

Now we get to the most annoying part of the manual swap - pedals. Start by taking the trim off:

And the lower trim piece on the inner sill. First time this was ever removed and it's like that with almost everything else on the car - untouched since it was assembled at the factory:

Dead pedal out:

325i EWS out.

M3 EWS in.

Here's how the auto pedal setup starts off. Note the faint X in the insulation for reservoir hose to the master cylinder. (See next pic):

Popped the covering plastic out and pushed the hose through to open it up. New grommet on the hose. It won't really be installed until later, though:

Need to pull the carpet back, so remove the plastic hold-down:

We need to shove this hydraulic line behind the carpet:

Pulled the carpet back as much as I could. That half-visible black plastic grommet needs to be popped out of the opening from which the high-pressure line will exit. We'll do that from underneath.

Stopping on the way there, I cleared the e-box out. Only body harness connectors left in there now:

The insulation is already perforated, so just needs to be persuaded a bit. The plastic cap is right behind it:

And once it's out, there's nothing but carpet, so we'll have to make some more room:

But first, install the new grommet:

I was tired of wrestling with the carpet so I did some research on wiring using WDS. Going to have to make a harness for the clutch switch module anyway:

Harness installed. I have a pic of a similar harness in my garage thread from Rick's 5spd swap. The M3 wiring I'm upgrading to doesn't have a clutch switch - only a clutch switch module (on the master cyl.) - so the harness is even simpler.

Back to the carpet. Drive-by-wire cars have a pedal module that holds the carpet down, so it's going to have to come out. Loosen the allen-head screw that holds the white bracket down. No need to remove the bracket. The black plastic hold-down on the back wall is also removed (where the clutch stop screws into later).

People always ask, so here's a clear pic of how the pedal is attached to the carpet. The white bracket stays with the carpet (this is a spare from my parts bin). The white tooth in the middle holds onto the PWG module, so the clip has to be pressed downwards (with a bit of force) and the pedal slides off to the left. Note that there are two notches it can grab onto in succession. That means, press, slide 1/2", press, slide off all the way.

I shoved a socket extension through the hole to make sure I had room for the pipe:

And the pipe is through! The grommet on the pipe locks into the large grommet previously installed in the floor from underneath.

Need some new hardware for the master cylinder:

That reservoir hose needs to go on first. Lube with a little brake fluid. It's a pain.

Bolted up (well sorta, the clutch pedal pin still needs to go in, so the front bolt should stay out):

Pedal hardware:

And done. Wires were tucked away neatly after this part:

Here's the clutch stop installed:

And that's all for now. Next up will be some more engine prep and more clutch hydraulic work. Still missing a part for the slave cylinder tubing, but hopefully UPS will be quick.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge

Last edited by cyberkaa; 12-23-2011 at 07:15 PM.
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
99,954 and counting.

All I can say, Kalim, is that when I do this, this thread will be very helpful. I'm thinking of losing my 2.8L engine and putting in a 2.3L one...but I'll compensate by putting on 14s hella flush!

Nice going so far. I'm beginning to believe you're really doing this. So far, it's not taken you as long as Delmarco's rear cup holder, so there's nothing much to be terribly ashamed of quite yet! You have plenty of time...a whole 46 posts!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:08 AM   #4
junkiekommando

My Ride: 02 330i, 91 318is
Finally!

Hopefully its done by the time I go visit you

1st page

Last edited by junkiekommando; 12-05-2011 at 07:41 AM.
junkiekommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Awesome work! Thanks for sharing
Old 12-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #6
kraimer

My Ride: -04-330Ci-
Send a message via AIM to kraimer
The name of the thread should have been "S54 Swap For Dummies". Excellent work man!!! good luck!
kraimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
dmitrofed

My Ride: Red 2001 330xi
hoping to do the same to my 330xi, just get rid of the awd and put in an s54 and M trans
Old 12-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
-Jay-

My Ride: 06 X3 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to -Jay-
when i got the fb notification with the link to this thread, i got all excited cuz i thought you finally finished the swap. i should've known better. lol.
you have about 2 - 3 weeks to finish the swap before i come up there

great job though Kalim (and the rest of NGC). glad to see that the swap is finally well on it's way. i didn't think it was gonna happen anymore since you were too happy driving around your beater M3
Old 12-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
Wow...

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Any easier if you are swapping into a car that is already a manual?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #11
golf_234

My Ride: E90
you have restored my faith in humanity

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #12
ACS Rob
pinoyfanatic

My Ride: This --->
touching story.

can't wait to see this project complete!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #13
edlvrt

My Ride: 2004 330i
Awesome job. Dumb question, but why didn't you just keep the engine in the white M3?
edlvrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #14
DJ Reminisce

My Ride: Knows Dubstep SUCKS
Can't wait to stop by and see the finished project man!

Keep up the great work!
Amber LED Corners/6k HID Fogs/LED Interior_Shadow Emblems
500W_RE Audio_Hertz Components

House Mixes:
DJ Reminisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #15
crazyxzer0

Send a message via AIM to crazyxzer0 Send a message via MSN to crazyxzer0
yes yes double yes!

-Derek
Stoptech Front BBK|M3 LSD|GC Coilovers w/ Swift Springs|UUC TSE3 Exhaust|

My Build Thread
crazyxzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #16
DJ Reminisce

My Ride: Knows Dubstep SUCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlvrt View Post
Awesome job. Dumb question, but why didn't you just keep the engine in the white M3?
Um, because it wouldn't be an M3 sedan, which is what he is going for.
Amber LED Corners/6k HID Fogs/LED Interior_Shadow Emblems
500W_RE Audio_Hertz Components

House Mixes:
DJ Reminisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #17
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci Regensburg Bav
Good job bro! Be doing this soon. Love the fact that those engines are not that difficul to get now. Looking good
djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #18
crazyxzer0

Send a message via AIM to crazyxzer0 Send a message via MSN to crazyxzer0
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlvrt View Post
The M3 was suppose to be a learnin swap but ended up being a "beater." He has a second S54..lol

-Derek
Stoptech Front BBK|M3 LSD|GC Coilovers w/ Swift Springs|UUC TSE3 Exhaust|

My Build Thread
crazyxzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #19
ACS Rob
pinoyfanatic

My Ride: This --->
+1 on the useful post count.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #20
Lifted.

My Ride: EMTRES.