E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #21
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jose325i View Post
I had issues with my driver side headlight not working intermittently, but it slowly got worse until it stopped working altogether. First, I swapped bulbs, problem did not change sides. Then I replaced the ballast with known good one. It worked for a day, then stopped working again. Today I just finished swapping the igniter (huge PITA) and ballast. Works great except self-leveling is messed up now. I need to take it all apart again
same here...it was a b***h to get that leveling arm apart from the headlight housing..now my lights "jitter" when they go through the initial level upon startup and something seems to have gotten stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Sucks man

What was so hard about installing the new igniter? I ask because I'll be ordering replacements for mine soon

it's a pretty straightforward diy and relatively easy. I followed this DIY http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...79#post8554679

I also cleaned the projector lens while I had everything apart which was extremely dirty

the projector bowl was kinda cloudy too

Last edited by eneka; 02-26-2012 at 10:08 PM.
eneka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #22
paulney

My Ride: 325i 2001
Running into the same issue on the passenger side. So, is it a definite answer that it's a faulty igniter? Mine is 2001, so 11 years old now.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #23
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
bump.

anyone recently replace an igniter? if so, what problem were you having, where did you get the replacement part, and what guide did you follow. thanks
217Bimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #24
jerseyrider
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 330Ci-06 K1200s
About a month ago, my drivers side light blinked out. I thought it was the bulb but after further research, I realized it's most likely not the bulb. When I turn on my headlights, they'll both be on. After a minute or so, the drivers side gets brighter for a millisecond, then it goes out. If I turn the lights off for a few seconds, both headlights will come back on, then the drivers side will go out again. I'm pretty sure the ballast is bad. I didn't really want to get into switching ballasts and igniters from side to side to diagnose. I'm hoping for a plug n play solution. As a solution, I ordered a used OEM ballast and ignitor from fleabay. As soon as I get it installed, I'll post my results.
jerseyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #25
217Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyrider View Post
About a month ago, my drivers side light blinked out. I thought it was the bulb but after further research, I realized it's most likely not the bulb. When I turn on my headlights, they'll both be on. After a minute or so, the drivers side gets brighter for a millisecond, then it goes out. If I turn the lights off for a few seconds, both headlights will come back on, then the drivers side will go out again. I'm pretty sure the ballast is bad. I didn't really want to get into switching ballasts and igniters from side to side to diagnose. I'm hoping for a plug n play solution. As a solution, I ordered a used OEM ballast and ignitor from fleabay. As soon as I get it installed, I'll post my results.
yeah mine was doing a similar thing, but after researching i think that it is the igniter, not the ballast.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #26
E46323ciFTW

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Idk if this even makes sense but I have had the same problem in my 2000 323ci, I've actually noticed that they will go out on start up or while driving but I've also noticed that while cornering they will go out...? If I'm cornering hard left the passenger side will go out and visa versa for the driver side? Has anyone else noticed this as a problem, I've checked all connections and no corrosion so I guess I'll just have to start replacing parts.
E46323ciFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #27
jerseyrider
OEM ///Member

Ok. So after taking the headlight completely apart, I plugged the light in with the "new" ballast and igniter and the light blinked out again. I happened to have bought new ds2 bulbs, plugged a new one in and it worked. Turns out the bulb was bad. I didn't know that hid bulbs could appear to be working sporadically. Oh well. Now I have a spare working ballast and igniter, intimate knowledge of the inner workings of a BMW headlight and a reason to buy some new clear corners. That's a whole other story. BTW, it really is a PITA to remove and replace the igniter.

The moral of this story is to diagnose the problem first before throwing parts at it but isn't that how we learn?

Last edited by jerseyrider; 11-25-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #28
217Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyrider View Post
Ok. So after taking the headlight completely apart, I plugged the light in with the "new" ballast and igniter and the light blinked out again. I happened to have bought new ds2 bulbs, plugged a new one in and it worked. Turns out the bulb was bad. I didn't know that hid bulbs could appear to be working sporadically. Oh well. Now I have a spare working ballast and igniter, intimate knowledge of the inner workings of a BMW headlight and a reason to buy some new clear corners. That's a whole other story. BTW, it really is a PITA to remove and replace the igniter.

The moral of this story is to diagnose the problem first before throwing parts at it but isn't that how we learn?
i've already swapped bulbs and same problem appears. from reading i think it's my igniter and after reading this it better damn well be!! was it that bad to replace the igniter? what did you use as a guide? any tips as i am about to embark on such a DIY?
Old 11-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #29
jerseyrider
OEM ///Member

Try this:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...eplace+ballast

I also found a video but I can't find it right now.

Do you have headlight washers? They have to be removed in order to remove the headlights. Then after you have the headlights out, he most difficult part is uncoupling the xenon adjuster.

Last edited by jerseyrider; 11-27-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #30
217Bimmer

thanks, that is the one i was planning to follow. no, thankfully i don't have headlight washers.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #31
BMW-NC

My Ride: 325i (2001)
Intermittent headlight issue

I have a 2001 325I with the same problem - intermittent outage of (passenger side) xenon headlight. The headlight comes back on when switch is cycled, and outages become more frequent in cold weather (now!). From the two pages of this two-year thread, it appears the consensus is that the culprit is probably a bad ignitor(s), although old bulb and/or old ballast could be issue(s). Please confirm this summary is accurate, and advise on your finding, 217Bimmer.
BMW-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #32
217Bimmer

swap the bulbs first!!! i tried reading and thought i had done the bulb swap right, but i am an idiot and the problem was with the low beams, not my high beams, which are halogen, so my bulb swap was worthless. because i swapped the wrong bulbs the problem remained on the same side and i thought that it must be the igniter. i bought one and swapped it out and the problem wasn't fixed, so i ordered new xenon bulbs.

swapping the xenon bulbs is much easier!!! just the 4 bolts and a trim clip to slide out the headlight. still a pain in the ass just for a headlight, but do that first because the igniter is a true pain in the ass and you might break something like i did with the leveling screws.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #33
BMW-NC

My Ride: 325i (2001)
Thanks very much! I will try replacing the Xenon bulb first. Do you order from Pelican Parts, or are these available at local parts sotres (Advance, Auto Zone, etc)? Thanks!
BMW-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:01 AM   #34
BWOODM3

My Ride: 2002 M3 convertible
Xenon front headlight failure - intermittent, both lights

I've been having the same issues as all of you since I've owned the car. Where did everyone purchase their igniter from and what DIY did you guys use?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
BWOODM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #35
217Bimmer

After this weekend I may have an igniter for you if you need the more expensive one. New online are like $300.

Also, first I would swap your bulbs!!! Do this first to make sure that the issue stays on the same side and is not just a failing bulb

Tags
failure, headlight, intermittent, xenon