E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #241
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirFrcd View Post
No bucking here, yet.
Odometer has to go up to qualify lol
Old 07-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #242
dallasberry

My Ride: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post

815whp @ 625wtq 27psi E98

dallasberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #243
MaverickM3

My Ride: gets badge
Quote:
^^^ This.

Run the ethanol out of it Lawrence. Let's see what happens. Strictly for research purposes.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #244
323tom

My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
Im going to stock up on e85 soon going to get 4-6 drums as its 12 hours round trip to the closest e85 that will sell me e85 lol... Should I get poly plastic or steele drums? Also what's the best pump can I use a generic electric one that screws into the top of the drum?
Old 07-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #245
Reid@SP
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: Toyota Supra
Send a message via AIM to Reid@SP Send a message via Yahoo to Reid@SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PTGSC View Post
What I just saw 5 min ago...that intercooler is huuugee lol tried to take a pic of it but some car cut me off lol

Ha! nice

Sound Performance
Shop (630) 893-5002
Cell (847) 363-3139

reid@spracingonline.com

**PLEASE DO NOT PM ME!! Please email me for inquiries/communicaton**
Reid@SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #246
M5chas

My Ride: e90 m3 + cornfed gtr
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post
Im going to stock up on e85 soon going to get 4-6 drums as its 12 hours round trip to the closest e85 that will sell me e85 lol... Should I get poly plastic or steele drums? Also what's the best pump can I use a generic electric one that screws into the top of the drum?
Most people recommend poly drums, but you are fine with steel. Either way just make sure to store the drums on a pallet or dolly. There are plenty of electric drum pumps available, but I haven't found one yet that is recommended for e85. You can use a generic electric one, but it won't be long before the ethanol eats the seals out of it. Fil-rite/Tuthill does make an e85 seal kit for a few of their hand pumps which is also an option. Right now I use a cheap hand pump and pump it into 5 gallon plastic containers. Then I fill the car up with the containers. Kind of a pain but well worth it for the e85 smile factor !!
M5chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #247
M5chas

My Ride: e90 m3 + cornfed gtr
Quote:
LOL!!!
M5chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #248
Commanderwiggin

The south bend (HPF) stage 3 endurance full face clutches for Supra's are rated up to 660ft*lbs of torque. They offer stage 3 Drag 4 puck up to 750 and a stage 4 4 puck up to 795.

Can't imagine the M3 ones to be much different.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #249
AirFrcd

My Ride: Mfizzle, and GT-R
Wink

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasberry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickM3 View Post
^^^ This.

Run the ethanol out of it Lawrence. Let's see what happens. Strictly for research purposes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5chas View Post
LOL!!!
True that
Philippians 4:13

AirFrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #250
Commanderwiggin

What it'll come down to is...you need a Tilton
Old 07-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #251
SlideFox

My Ride: A Bucket w/ 4-Wheels
Quote:
What it'll come down to is...you need a Tilton
This!!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #252
323tom

My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
Almost everyone I talked to said Tilton are amazing clutch but they won't last long street driving and my car will be 50/50 track/street... Believe we're going with a clutch master stg 8 fx850... Also the body shop said that intercooler is massive the rebar will not fit anymore and the front vorsteiner CSL bumper has to be shaved about 2.5 inches!

Last edited by 323tom; 07-12-2012 at 12:32 PM.
323tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #253
Commanderwiggin

Ah yes forgot the tilton didn't last long for street driving...can't have my cake and eat it too
Old 07-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #254
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
Almost everyone I talked to said Tilton are amazing clutch but they won't last long street driving and my car will be 50/50 track/street... Believe we're going with a clutch master stg 8 fx850... Also the body shop said that intercooler is massive the rebar will not fit anymore and the front vorsteiner CSL bumper has to be shaved about 2.5 inches!
Street Driving will be an on-off switch with nearly all of the triple disk clutches out there. As a result of this, we are releasing our Next Generation HPF Clutch Disks that have the same super strong rivited section we are running in our other clutches.

The Feramic friction material held, but the hub center section didn't. We have been running a much stronger hub center section on all of our N54 (BMW 135 and 335) clutches and never had the need to upgrade our HPF clutch center sections. That is until now.

Clutches are typically rated by the Torque the motor provides, not by horsepower. We've run over 1,000rwhp on the HPF stage 3 clutches but not over 800 ft-lbs. Now that our customers are achieving over 800 ft-lbs, our NEXT GENERATION HPF E46 M3 Clutches are going to run a "riveted" center section similar to our N54 clutch disk in the image below. All HPF E46 M3 Clutches shipped from now on will be utilizing the NEXT GENERATION center sections.

HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #255
M3PTGSC

My Ride: M3
Quote:
... Also the body shop said that intercooler is massive the rebar will not fit anymore and the front vorsteiner CSL bumper has to be shaved about 2.5 inches!
I told you i never saw intercooler that big on a E46 in my life lol

09 SL63 AMG Designo,pano and whole nine yards lol
07 S550 P2 4matic-gone
03-M3-6766 DBB..Tubular manifold...
97-M3-
95-M3 SC stage 2-Widebody...
08 Gix 1k 08 ZX10R
M3PTGSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:12 AM   #256
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Chris, Tom...the Clutch Master 850 with HPF's plates looks like the new generation of holding power for the really BIG boys. Eight hundred ft'lbs and up of torque from a 3.2liter 6 cylinder is amazing to say the least.

I didnt think I would see the day so soon when the Stage 3 Feramic just wasn't enough clutch!
Tom, did your car actually fry the Stage 3 clutch on the Dyno? Did it rip out the center or just burn the Feramic material? Score the pressure plate?

Chris, has anyone actually installed and used an HPF/MC 850 yet?
I like that the price is UNDER 2k plus installation. I have seen some other clutches way up in the stratosphere for cost. 1800usd for a clutch that will hold over 800ftlbs of torque seems very reasonable.

What IS the maximum rating BTW. I understand that ratings involve the torque figure more than the HP figure.

Tom, your build is simply amazing. You seem to be set to shatter several records. I am subscribed.

Will this clutch work on SMG tansmissions? In Stage 1 through 3 Feramic is appears the same clutch is used for either the 6 speed or the SMG. I dont see any differences.

Last edited by Bdave; 07-16-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #257
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
Chris, Tom...the Clutch Master 850 with HPF's plates looks like the new generation of holding power for the really BIG boys. Eight hundred ft'lbs and up of torque from a 3.2liter 6 cylinder is amazing to say the least.

I didnt think I would see the day so soon when the Stage 3 Feramic just wasn't enough clutch!
Tom, did your car actually fry the Stage 3 clutch on the Dyno?

Chris, has anyone actually installed and used an HPF/MC 850 yet?
I like that the price is UNDER 2k plus installation. I have seen some other clutches way up in the stratosphere for cost. 1800usd for a clutch that will hold over 800ftlbs of torque seems very reasonable.

What IS the maximum rating BTW. I understand that ratings involve the torque figure more than the HP figure.

Tom, your build is simply amazing. You seem to be set to shatter several records. I am subscribed.

Will this clutch work on SMG tansmissions? In Stage 1 through 3 Feramic is appears the same clutch is used for either the 6 speed or the SMG. I dont see any differences.
Unless i'm mistaken HPF/Southbend are using rivets instead of a pressed hub in the next design.. Tom is going with a Clutchmaster FX850.. two topics intertwined.. not mixing of the two clutches.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:46 AM   #258
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02black330ci View Post
^^^ Fully Agree! Where you at BDave.....
Tom PM'd me and said I was being paged. I have not kept up with this thread like I should have. LOTS of good stuff happening. Tom's build eclipses anything my build has in store. But our approaches are very similar.

I recommended to Tom (PM) that he NOT depend on an untested ported mani until I had dyno numbers to back it up. There is a flow bench spread sheet floating around somewhere. I never was able to get it sent to me and never pressed for it much as its not as near meaningful as dyno pulls. I urged Tom to look into a tubular manifold rather than wait on my results.

I am still confident that the porting done was worth the 1100usd spent. The mani actually went BACK to Steed just to get their Ceramic coating. I guess my shop felt it necessary for some reason. I urged Tom to look into a tubular manifold rather than wait on my results.

I could be wrong. But the outside tuner, the shop owner, and his partner all feel that the ported mani will prove itself in the end. Right now, with out numbers, its just talk. I know that. I really wish I could offer something substantive. We will.
I WILL go out on a limb and PREDICT that the porting is going to be shown as worth 100 to 130 HP. Thats a lot. This is IN CONJUNCTION with the modified CF intake tube (done by outside CF expert) with the giant AFE air filter (AC compressor still in the car, BTW).

I did email the owner of SP about our porting job. I never saw a reply so I dont know if he ever read it. They are on the cutting edge and will likely build a tubular manifold that may flow even better. Toms flow needs are greater than mine..71mm vs 76mm.

The new Bimmerworld motor mounts finally became available and another set back in time because some HPF support arm was oval instead of round or vice versa. It wsnt compatible with the Bimmerworld mounts and the motor had to come out...again.

I have been told the exhaust is next and tuning is shortly to come. I have not been posting about progress because so many deadlines were never met.
I did not want to post unless I had something DEFINITE to relate.
I dont. Just what I have been told. I know from photos that we are closer than we ever have been. But I have seen 2 weeks = 2 months. New math I guess.

Sorry for the mini hi jack. Tom, thanks for the chance for me to catch up. I'll butt out now. The limelight is on Tom's build. He is going places I only dreamed about. Wait and see!

PS: Sorry, I have several build pix that the shop owner made me promise NOT to post until the build is 100% done. I still dont understand completely why. But I said I would honor his wishes. I will say that the fuel plumbing looks as cool as Hell! lots of AN fittings.

Last edited by Bdave; 07-16-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #259
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
I did email the owner of SP about our porting job. I never saw a reply so I dont know if he ever read it. They are on the cutting edge and will likely build a tubular manifold that may flow even better. Toms flow needs are greater than mine..71mm vs 76mm.

You emailed me?? I somehow missed it!! Can you resend please?
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #260
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
You emailed me?? I somehow missed it!! Can you resend please?
I figured you must have missed it. I sent a fairly long email on 7/1/12 to XXSUPRAXX@AOL.COM with Tom's Project in subject box.
I copied and pasted the email into a new one. It has "Resend: Tom's Project" in the subject box. it was resent today.

It's basically fan mail coupled with my experience so far with porting of the Steed mani.
I urged Tom to pursue a Tubular Mani since:
1) I have no dyno numbers to prove my claim... yet
2) Tom has a much larger Turbo. What works for me, may still not flow enough for his application. Tubular is probably the best bet.

I could never get my shop to scan and send the porter's before and after FLOW BENCH FLOW RESULTS. But was told the change was significant.The porter spent as much time on the SHAPE of the runners as enlarging them. This is a guy who just didnt go hog wild with an air tool. The mani was carefully dissected , ported, re welded and sent back to Steed to get the original Ceramic Coating.
So, our dyno results still may be of some interest to you for Stage 3 projects like mine. There are some $ savings and other advantages to retaining the Steed in a MODIFIED state. It was made clear to me that there was plenty of material to work with once the Steed was dissected. Apparently its a worth while pursuit.How LARGE a turbo can be supported(to maximize the flow of the turbo output) is not clear as of yet.

I will post dyno results in a new thread once they become available.

Last edited by Bdave; 07-16-2012 at 06:06 PM.