E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #361
M5chas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: merryland
Posts: 702
My Ride: e90 m3 + cornfed gtr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
What would you like to know about the oil system?

I made those covers BTW
I want a set of those covers. Do you have more?
M5chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #362
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
Posts: 565
My Ride: Is very FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5chas View Post
I want a set of those covers. Do you have more?

I only made the one set for Tom. I could copy them when Tom brings his car back over the winter. Doesn't HPF make something already like this?
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #363
xixixi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Are you venting to atmosphere or back into the intake? The CCV system?

Last edited by xixixi; 08-24-2012 at 12:35 PM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #364
M5chas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: merryland
Posts: 702
My Ride: e90 m3 + cornfed gtr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
I only made the one set for Tom. I could copy them when Tom brings his car back over the winter. Doesn't HPF make something already like this?
They make one just for the drivers side not passenger.
M5chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #365
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
Posts: 565
My Ride: Is very FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
are you venting to atmosphere or back into the intake? The ccv system?

atm
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #366
02black330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ^^ E46FANATICS ^^
Posts: 1,814
My Ride: spaceship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
What would you like to know about the oil system?
For those of us running the oil scavenge pumps, it would be great if we could switch to this type of set up. Is it a kit you will be selling or just a one time thing for Tom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
I only made the one set for Tom. I could copy them when Tom brings his car back over the winter. Doesn't HPF make something already like this?
They make a cover for the DME only, you made a cover which encloses the whole opening which is what Charlie and myself have been looking for.

Here is the link to the HPF DME cover:
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...vers/DME/17222
__________________






02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #367
str8dum1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: raleigh
Posts: 185
My Ride: VQ38DETT
The SP oil setup is as standard as they come for low mount turbos. drain to a sump and use a pump to return to the engine.

How is that different than the HPF setup?
__________________
VQ38DETT on twin 6262 with ProEFI128
str8dum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #368
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
Posts: 565
My Ride: Is very FAST
The car originally did not have a sump tank under the turbo, just a line to the pump. It smoked pretty badly. The sump tank alleviated all of the smoking.
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #369
str8dum1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: raleigh
Posts: 185
My Ride: VQ38DETT
ahh, my car only smokes when the turbo goes out LOL
__________________
VQ38DETT on twin 6262 with ProEFI128
str8dum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #370
M5chas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: merryland
Posts: 702
My Ride: e90 m3 + cornfed gtr
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02black330ci View Post

They make a cover for the DME only, you made a cover which encloses the whole opening which is what Charlie and myself have been looking for.

Here is the link to the HPF DME cover:
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...vers/DME/17222
Yes! This!!
M5chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #371
Bdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,827
My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Ah, that is how they made the fender flares! What a pain staking procedure...all those tiny pieces and welds. The end result is perfect.

Tom and Larry, this is officially my all time favorite M3 build of all times! Perfection! You figure there is 150K plus into this car? 175K? There is nothing in that price range that can touch this car so it may seem high, but in reality it is a bargain for what you have.

I would rather have this car than any cramped super high dollar maintenance exotic. You can actually afford to drive the piss out of this car with out the enormous HUGE maintenance bills of a Lambo or a Ferrari. Those cars will only see your tail lights anyways!

Well, maybe your rear tire bill may be right up there...LOL.

This is a SUPER CAR that can be daily driven and not be in the shop every time you run it around the block. This level of what can be done with an M3 makes perfect sense to me...in spite of the high initial price tag. It is so well done. Congrats!
__________________
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #372
M3 2 NV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 166
My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
Ah, that is how they made the fender flares! What a pain staking procedure...all those tiny pieces and welds. The end result is perfect.

Tom and Larry, this is officially my all time favorite M3 build of all times! Perfection! You figure there is 150K plus into this car? 175K? There is nothing in that price range that can touch this car so it may seem high, but in reality it is a bargain for what you have.

I would rather have this car than any cramped super high dollar maintenance exotic. You can actually afford to drive the piss out of this car with out the enormous HUGE maintenance bills of a Lambo or a Ferrari. Those cars will only see your tail lights anyways!

Well, maybe your rear tire bill may be right up there...LOL.

This is a SUPER CAR that can be daily driven and not be in the shop every time you run it around the block. This level of what can be done with an M3 makes perfect sense to me...in spite of the high initial price tag. It is so well done. Congrats!
It started life as a 323 if i recall, then it swallowed an M3 and morphed into this monster.
__________________
2001 M3 - Phoenix Yellow - 03/01 production

M3 2 NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #373
02black330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ^^ E46FANATICS ^^
Posts: 1,814
My Ride: spaceship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
The car originally did not have a sump tank under the turbo, just a line to the pump. It smoked pretty badly. The sump tank alleviated all of the smoking.
That's pretty much how all HPF kits are, but my car never smoked while the pump is working correctly. I thought that it was some type of low gravity, vacuum set up that replaced the whole scavenge system HPF currently uses. I know that SAAD has something like this but not sure if it's available for sale yet.
__________________






02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #374
Commanderwiggin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,867
My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
You figure there is 150K plus into this car? 175K? There is nothing in that price range that can touch this car so it may seem high, but in reality it is a bargain for what you have.
^ They must charge you guys alot down in Florida...
__________________
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #375
Bdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,827
My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
The car originally did not have a sump tank under the turbo, just a line to the pump. It smoked pretty badly. The sump tank alleviated all of the smoking.
I kind of like the idea of a sump for the oil to drain to. You dont really need to be concerned with using any restrictors with this system, correct?

Is it vulnerable to getting hit and dislodged by road debris? I cant tell if it is protected at all...or if it even needs to be protected.

Is it pricey? Looks like it is.
__________________
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #376
bmxpert86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: long island
Posts: 374
My Ride: e46 TiAg ///M3
OMG!!!! I have checked out this thread sInce the beginning and felt that it was gonna be insane but this finished product by far blows away pretty much every M on the forum. I said it once and I'll say it again, kudos bro, you modded this car perfectly.
bmxpert86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:45 AM   #377
Bdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,827
My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 2 NV View Post
It started life as a 323 if i recall, then it swallowed an M3 and morphed into this monster.
That's right. If the car didnt look so aggressive, I would suggest running 323 badges for a while just as a huge joke. Tom, you could play "Gotcha" with some unobservant punters. For sure leave some guys scratching their heads. LOL.
__________________
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:01 AM   #378
Bdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,827
My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8dum1 View Post
The SP oil setup is as standard as they come for low mount turbos. drain to a sump and use a pump to return to the engine.

How is that different than the HPF setup?
HPF does not HAVE a sump. They have what is called a "scavenging pump". It is a system where a pump runs continuously. There is a variation for larger turbos. It is all here:

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...Scavenge/12022
__________________

Last edited by Bdave; 08-25-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #379
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
Posts: 565
My Ride: Is very FAST
We also have a scavenge pump. Just that the oil drains into the sump tank first and then is pulled out of it by the pump.
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #380
02black330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ^^ E46FANATICS ^^
Posts: 1,814
My Ride: spaceship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
We also have a scavenge pump. Just that the oil drains into the sump tank first and then is pulled out of it by the pump.
I see, so we can incorporate your set up to our current scavenging oil system? Let us know when these will be available and if it would be plug and play with the scavenge pump set ups we have.
__________________






02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use