E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #481
323tom

My Ride: 2 turbo e46's
LOL nice pics, that second one is trippy where the side skirt looks like its in 2 pieces
Old 09-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #482
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
That flare looks so natural!...like it came from the factory like that.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #483
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: Turbo M3 7168 27PSI
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
That flare looks so natural!...like it came from the factory like that.
We should have him do a mould so we can have flares made
Old 09-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #484
Bdave

[\\mQUOTE=being3;14729553]We should have him do a mould so we can have flares made[/QUOTE]

It would be great if somebody offered pre made steel weld in flares for the front and rear.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #485
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
[\\mQUOTE=being3;14729553]We should have him do a mould so we can have flares made
It would be great if somebody offered pre made steel weld in flares for the front and rear.[/QUOTE]

We will probably be doing carbon fiber flares after we do the trunk.
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #486
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
We will probably be doing carbon fiber flares after we do the trunk.
Front AND rear?
Really? How would they attach? Cut off OEM flares, first, right. I guess you could epoxy(one of the 'super" epoxies they have available today) the CF flares on and bondo the seam and paint.

I have seen race cars with pop riveted flares just tacked on. There were really no cosmetics involved. You could do that if you had a track only car I suppose.

Very cool, Chris! I think those will be great sellers!!

Last edited by Bdave; 09-15-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #487
SEVEN40iL

My Ride: 740iL
Send a message via ICQ to SEVEN40iL
Some pics of Tom's beast from this weekends cruise and a couple of mine..

Old 09-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #488
MarcusLSB

My Ride: X5, CT200h, CLK63 BS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN40iL View Post
Some pics of Tom's beast from this weekends cruise and a couple of mine..

Why weren't you rocking those nice Alpina's in your signature?!
MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #489
323tom

On our trip to NYC after Bimmerfest east a few weeks ago he had a blow out on the New Jersey Turnpike, that was a pain in the ass, apparently its a private owned xpressway and tow truck drivers are not allowed on it! He forgot his lock key for the Alpina cover to get to the bolts so that was another obstacle he had to face lol fun times! Once he got to the hotel it was all good
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
P.S. Thx for the pic upload buddy! It was a awesome cruise got my car upto e85 but ran out of fuel at a 1/4 tank twice! Also I filled the catch can up with oil again after roughly 500 miles? oils golden with a bit of murkeyness...
Old 09-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #490
MarcusLSB

My Ride: X5, CT200h, CLK63 BS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post
On our trip to NYC after Bimmerfest east a few weeks ago he had a blow out on the New Jersey Turnpike, that was a pain in the ass, apparently its a private owned xpressway and tow truck drivers are not allowed on it! He forgot his lock key for the Alpina cover to get to the bolts so that was another obstacle he had to face lol fun times! Once he got to the hotel it was all good

P.S. Thx for the pic upload buddy! It was a awesome cruise got my car upto e85 but ran out of fuel at a 1/4 tank twice! Also I filled the catch can up with oil again after roughly 500 miles? oils golden with a bit of murkeyness...
Have you raised your fuel pressure yet?
MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #491
SEVEN40iL

My Ride: 740iL
Send a message via ICQ to SEVEN40iL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
Next season Marcus!

Quote:
P.S. Thx for the pic upload buddy!
No problem!
Old 09-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #492
Bdave

Tom, you have the 2150cc injectors, right? I thought you knew the static has to be at least 50psi or the siphon function does not seem to work properly.
its possible that some cars may need even a bit more..IDK.
The raise in fuel pressure is supposed to help or eliminate rough idle on gasoline too.

That seems like a LOT of oil in the blow by tank. Better there than in your intake. I dont think this sounds normal. Ask Larry what he thinks might be causing that!

Last edited by Bdave; 09-17-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #493
dallasberry

My Ride: ///M3
Car looks Sick Tom!

815whp @ 625wtq 27psi E98

dallasberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #494
323tom

Thx for the compliments...Ya the fuel pressure is set to 55 PSI static... which is what Larry told me to set it too... it still runs out of fuel at 1/4... I do have the 2150cc FIC injectors and raising the fuel pressure doesn't help with pump gas if anything it makes it worse lol... The oil catch can Larry says is tiny that hpf uses, he says the one on the supras he uses are 3 times the size with a drain valve, he will be building me one this winter.. I've been monitoring the oil level pretty much every time I drive since my last oil change and it has remained at the max level on the dipstick for over 1000 miles now...
Old 09-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #495
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Thx for the compliments...Ya the fuel pressure is set to 55 PSI static... which is what Larry told me to set it too... it still runs out of fuel at 1/4... I do have the 2150cc FIC injectors and raising the fuel pressure doesn't help with pump gas if anything it makes it worse lol... The oil catch can Larry says is tiny that hpf uses, he says the one on the supras he uses are 3 times the size with a drain valve, he will be building me one this winter.. I've been monitoring the oil level pretty much every time I drive since my last oil change and it has remained at the max level on the dipstick for over 1000 miles now...
Dont see why you would need a bigger catch can. Mine doesnt fill unless its really cold out. Otherwise during the summer i never need to dump it.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 09-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #496
323tom

I believe you, I never had it fill more than a 1/4 when I was stage 2 last year, I know you have a stg 2.5 which is built motor just saying last year I never had to constantly dump the catch can, I am not sure why I am collecting so much oil in the catch can?
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
Dont see why you would need a bigger catch can. Mine doesnt fill unless its really cold out. Otherwise during the summer i never need to dump it.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #497
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
I believe you, I never had it fill more than a 1/4 when I was stage 2 last year, I know you have a stg 2.5 which is built motor just saying last year I never had to constantly dump the catch can, I am not sure why I am collecting so much oil in the catch can?
Excessive blow by.....only reason it would fill faster. When my fills like i said its only water in the very cold months. Which isnt much here in tx, almost no oil

Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #498
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
Excessive blow by.....only reason it would fill faster. When my fills like i said its only water in the very cold months. Which isnt much here in tx, almost no oil

Can someone explain what problem would cause excessive blow by? Its not rings, right? Tom would be burning oil if his rings were not sealing.
I suppose I dont 100% understand how a catch can works. How can Tom stop or slow down this (excessive) blow by?
IDK. Tom, are you willing to accept the "fix" just being a bigger catch can?

Sorry to hear your idle and siphon problems still persist. That's not good, especially when a raise in the static fuel pressure was supposed to fix all that!

Last edited by Bdave; 09-17-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #499
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
nice photos seven!

krazy car tom!

"I catch you in my dreams, just me and you. But you seem confused, I'm not trying to break the rules.
So why do you feel the way that you do? So why do you feel the way that you do?"

2014 LA Autoshow FB Gallery
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #500
SPDu4ea

My Ride: .
Quote:
Can someone explain what problem would cause excessive blow by? Its not rings, right? Tom would be burning oil if his rings were not sealing.
I suppose I dont 100% understand how a catch can works. How can Tom stop or slow down this (excessive) blow by?
IDK. Tom, are you willing to accept the "fix" just being a bigger catch can?

Sorry to hear your idle and siphon problems still persist. That's not good, especially when a raise in the static fuel pressure was supposed to fix all that!
Some oil could also be from a leaking turbo, but assuming it is blowby it might not be "excessive." An engine built for 1000+whp is going to have looser tolerances to cope with the heat/pressure. It'll have more consumption than a tighter engine made for less power - especially when cold
SPDu4ea is offline   Reply With Quote