E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #521
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
The posts on the last few pages have been fascinating....a real eye opener for me in many respects. My thanks to everyone for doing such a great job for answering my questions. AFAIK we are still ON topic for Tom's build.

For some strange reason I thought I read the idle issue was solved by increasing fuel pressure. So sorry to be incorrect.

Dual injectors seems like a very expensive fix for an annoyance. Maybe it is just best to put up with a rough idle for those times when pump gas is used. Can you supply a video for a sound byte? It is hard to judge with out hearing the severity. The rest of the performance on pump fuel is just fine, right?

Larry, a bad idle on gasoline is not the end of the world seeing that E85 will MOSTLY be used with many E85 builds. How bad IS the idle? Just tell people its from a monster CAM that was installed. LOL. Tom, how do YOU feel about this? Is it tolerable in the long run? If its a deal breaker then I hope it can get solved with out costing a fortune. Dual injectors WILL work, right? MAybe there is another solution.

What do you think the "running out of fuel" at the 1/4 tank mark is all about? Is it a siphon issue or something else? I am sure it can be solved, can't it?

Raising the static fuel pressure SHOULD have worked. Perhaps there are other issues at play? Something amiss in the saddle tank?

The saddle tank(that is the problem area?) issue is a more than an annoyance (comment Tom?) and seems to be a problem with all fuels, yes? I am sure a solution will be found. But what? Any ideas?

Last edited by Bdave; 09-18-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #522
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
A poor idle on gas...is a deal breaker for me...needs to idle steady no matter what.

And Tom...have a look in your fuel tank...I have a feeling something broke
Old 09-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #523
323tom

My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
Ya with anything less than 40% ethanol content the car idles like crap but drives fine but I wouldn't be to worried Bdave you have more e85 stations within 10 miles from you then we have stations in all of Canada lol... We will see what Larry can do about this during the winter, About the 1/4 tank thing yes it is annoying but even when I was stg 2 I never let it run lower then 1/4 tank, even in my DD I don't let it run past 1/4... Maybe once every couple months to get the old fuel out... But with e85 in the car it gets to 1/4 tank pretty quick especially WOT lol... My main concern is the oil filling up In the catch can so quickly... What do you think is broken in my fuel
Tank commander?

Last edited by 323tom; 09-19-2012 at 10:00 AM.
323tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #524
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post
Ya with anything less than 40% ethanol content the car idles like crap but drives fine but I wouldn't be to worried Bdave you have more e85 stations within 10 miles from you then we have stations in all of Canada lol... We will see what Larry can do about this during the winter, About the 1/4 tank thing yes it is annoying but even when I was stg 2 I never let it run lower then 1/4 tank, even in my DD I don't let it run past 1/4... Maybe once every couple months to get the old fuel out... But with e85 in the car it gets to 1/4 tank pretty quick especially WOT lol... My main concern is the oil filling up In the catch can so quickly... What do you think is broken in my fuel
Tank commander?
There's a fitting that needs reinforcement inside the tank...I don't remember exactly but it's not talked about usually... most shops other than HPF don't know about it as it only breaks after high fuel flow? That's all I know.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #525
str8dum1

My Ride: VQ38DETT
Tom do you have the logging cable? Would be interesting to see what your Injector1_PW is at idle, esp on pump gas.

Interesting about a fitting in the tank. All that woulda been bypassed with SP's fuel system, but there must be something that attaches to the other tank to create the siphon.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #526
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8dum1 View Post
Tom do you have the logging cable? Would be interesting to see what your Injector1_PW is at idle, esp on pump gas.

Interesting about a fitting in the tank. All that woulda been bypassed with SP's fuel system, but there must be something that attaches to the other tank to create the siphon.
I believe the fitting is on the other side. So i dont think sp fuel system bypasses it

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 09-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #527
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Tank commander?
Not worried at all about the idle thing. Its something I can deal with. It would likely only be an issue on cross country trips and you are up and cruising mostly for that anyways. And your stockpile of E85 is great so you should be fine.
Do you plan on maybe mixing your blend to E50? Its not like you need 1000 HP in the street all the time. it would stretch your reserves.

I am vastly curious about the siphon issue. Having something amiss, dislodge or broken in your saddle tank makes the most sense for sure. It's just one of those things. Track it down and let us know. Good luck!

Last edited by Bdave; 09-21-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #528
SEVEN40iL

My Ride: 740iL
Send a message via ICQ to SEVEN40iL
Here is a quick video of me chasing Tom last weekend. Didn't add any music to it so you can kinda hear him.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #529
323tom

Thanks for the video bro, thats the last time ive had time to drive my car been swamped with reno's!
Old 09-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #530
Commanderwiggin

Tom why did SP take the QSV out again?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #531
323tom

Having issues with it but they will figure it out this along with everything else :d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Tom why did SP take the QSV out again?
Old 09-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #532
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Having issues with it but they will figure it out this along with everything else :d
I'm curious what kind of issues as I'm considering going this route in the near future.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #533
323tom

Wait a bit for Larry to figure it out but p1lot had SADD install his with no problems not sure how lol
Quote:
I'm curious what kind of issues as I'm considering going this route in the near future.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #534
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
Quote:
aem capable of this? if so, ill guinea pig for ya
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #535
323tom

Of course it would work with aem, it was a mechanical problem I don't remember off the top of my head I've had a few issues to iron out lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreikraft View Post
aem capable of this? if so, ill guinea pig for ya
Old 09-23-2012, 12:20 AM   #536
Commanderwiggin

I'm not exactly sure how the install is configured...I'm under the assumption it works off a bellows actuator that either engages off a static set pressure or is assisted via an external boost solenoid which opens at a specific psi (permissive allowed via EMS) and I'm also under assumption that the SP boost actuated cutout operates at a different psi ( higher than qsv) so as not to cause hunting issues...(hunting when two controllers try to maintain a specific position but generally fight each other when trying to control at the same point.)
Old 09-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #537
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
Quote:
I'm not exactly sure how the install is configured...I'm under the assumption it works off a bellows actuator that either engages off a static set pressure or is assisted via an external boost solenoid which opens at a specific psi (permissive allowed via EMS) and I'm also under assumption that the SP boost actuated cutout operates at a different psi ( higher than qsv) so as not to cause hunting issues...(hunting when two controllers try to maintain a specific position but generally fight each other when trying to control at the same point.)
id only be interested in the latter which is why i asked. hopefully sp can chime in on how much control is available.
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:53 AM   #538
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreikraft View Post
id only be interested in the latter which is why i asked. hopefully sp can chime in on how much control is available.
I'm almost certain it is meant to work in this manner...why it wasn't fully setup on Toms car would be nice to know...I'm sure a static boost actuated Bellows could work as well just not as precise...regardless the control strategy would be nice to know if SP could comment on this critical piece of the puzzle.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #539
str8dum1

My Ride: VQ38DETT
both the cutout and the qsv just use a standard garrett internal wastegate actuator. I dont know what spring the QSV uses, but the cutout uses an 11psi spring. It starts to crack at 4 psi and it fully open by 11psi. You can have it open later buy using a standard boost control solenoid connected to your EMS.
Same with the QSV. You use a standard boost control solenoid to have it fully open past the spring pressure. They make down to 4psi actuators.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #540
Commanderwiggin

I prefer the simplicity of the bellows style actuators rather than EMS controlled boost solenoids in this design...I know it was installed and working on Toms car...so the problem must've been with the tuning?