E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #541
323tom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,205
My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
Nope if it was tune based Larry would have figured it out trust me lol, I believe it was leaking or something but I could be wrong I'm sure Larry will chime in here when he gets a chance...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
I prefer the simplicity of the bellows style actuators rather than EMS controlled boost solenoids in this design...I know it was installed and working on Toms car...so the problem must've been with the tuning?
__________________
323tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #542
str8dum1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: raleigh
Posts: 181
My Ride: VQ38DETT
you only use a solenoid if you want the cutout or QSV to open at a higher psi than the wastegate spring that control the "bellow" is rated for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
I prefer the simplicity of the bellows style actuators rather than EMS controlled boost solenoids in this design...I know it was installed and working on Toms car...so the problem must've been with the tuning?
__________________
VQ38DETT on twin 6262 with ProEFI128
str8dum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #543
Commanderwiggin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,830
My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8dum1 View Post
you only use a solenoid if you want the cutout or QSV to open at a higher psi than the wastegate spring that control the "bellow" is rated for.
Exactly...solenoid fails to open...cutout doesn't open either.
__________________
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #544
str8dum1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: raleigh
Posts: 181
My Ride: VQ38DETT
actually no. Unpowered solenoid allows full flow thru, so the cutout will still open fully at 11psi. When the solenoid is powered it reduces flow to the actuator, so it doesnt open til higher boost.

Exact same way you control boost.

If you want your cutout to open at 20psi, then you can always use a 20psi wastegate actuator. same with the QSV
__________________
VQ38DETT on twin 6262 with ProEFI128

Last edited by str8dum1; 09-23-2012 at 05:23 PM.
str8dum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #545
Commanderwiggin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,830
My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8dum1 View Post
actually no. Unpowered solenoid allows full flow thru, so the cutout will still open fully at 11psi. When the solenoid is powered it reduces flow to the actuator, so it doesnt open til higher boost.

Exact same way you control boost.

If you want your cutout to open at 20psi, then you can always use a 20psi wastegate actuator. same with the QSV
Ah thats right...wasn't thinking lol.
__________________
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #546
323tom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,205
My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
So it's been 3-4 weeks since I drove the car (shitty weather/working like a mad man) anyways just tried to drive my car but noticed I had a flat rear tire and battery is dead so I boosted the car and filled the tire with air and brought the car over to my buddy at tire co and we found what at first looked like a bullet but after we pulled it out we noticed it was a valve stem the puncture was almost to bit to repair in my 335/30/18 r888 that would have been a bummer if I had to replace it... Anyway the car is going back to SP for the cold season very soon I'm headed to Chicago next week

So far these are the following mods I know I will be doing...

- SP QSV hopefully this time there's no problems
- custom sound performance tubular manifold
- os giken TCD diff ( suppose to be Better than the super lock version )
- up the NOS shot from 120 hp to 200
- hyperco helper spring for my front tc Kline as they can't go any lower currently
- BMW performance cf strut bar for some under the hood eye candy
- rear trunk reinforcement something similar to what 02PRUV in Australia has ( this will be done at Fall line Motorsport )
- corner balance at Fall line
- I'm having crazy thoughts about going from my 7675 precision to the 8285 but I'm scared it will be wayy to laggy


And I'm sure there will be more
__________________
323tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #547
str8dum1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: raleigh
Posts: 181
My Ride: VQ38DETT
at the strip with a 200shot to spool, the 8285 wont be laggy, unless you are just driving on the street. Wont have any power til well past 6000 rpms.
__________________
VQ38DETT on twin 6262 with ProEFI128

Last edited by str8dum1; 10-16-2012 at 10:00 PM.
str8dum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #548
AirFrcd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mexico
Posts: 954
My Ride: Mfizzle, and GT-R
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post
So it's been 3-4 weeks since I drove the car (shitty weather/working like a mad man) anyways just tried to drive my car but noticed I had a flat rear tire and battery is dead so I boosted the car and filled the tire with air and brought the car over to my buddy at tire co and we found what at first looked like a bullet but after we pulled it out we noticed it was a valve stem the puncture was almost to bit to repair in my 335/30/18 r888 that would have been a bummer if I had to replace it... Anyway the car is going back to SP for the cold season very soon I'm headed to Chicago next week

So far these are the following mods I know I will be doing...

- SP QSV hopefully this time there's no problems
- custom sound performance tubular manifold
- os giken TCD diff ( suppose to be Better than the super lock version )
- up the NOS shot from 120 hp to 200
- hyperco helper spring for my front tc Kline as they can't go any lower currently
- BMW performance cf strut bar for some under the hood eye candy
- rear trunk reinforcement something similar to what 02PRUV in Australia has ( this will be done at Fall line Motorsport )
- corner balance at Fall line
- I'm having crazy thoughts about going from my 7675 precision to the 8285 but I'm scared it will be wayy to laggy


And I'm sure there will be more
What are your power goals? I would agree w. you on the "laggy" response of the 8285... unless of course, you up the anty on the NOS
__________________
I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13

AirFrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #549
323tom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,205
My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
Ya I will probably stick with my 7675 and around 1200whp is my goal
__________________
323tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #550
E85head
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Car
Posts: 176
My Ride: E46 M3
Your build is awesome! Looking forward to see more!
E85head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #551
Bdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,827
My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post
Ya I will probably stick with my 7675 and around 1200whp is my goal
Your car would be a great mile and 1/2 mile Monster. Do you have any plans to enter such events?

A general comment on the QSV installation on the E46 M3. I recall that in order to physically fit, the actuator ARM must be cut and re welded at a different angle in order to clear obstacles in the engine bay. Are there any other mods?
I do know several shops deemed the QSV installation to be impossible with the E46 M3 for a long time.

I am so pleased that this has been dis proven. I would like to see the QSV to become more commonplace in the E46 M3 so it's installation and use can be perfected.

The QSV is something that is just so great to have. I find it difficult to resist. I would like to see a few more successful installations and some modicum of standardization.

Who knows? Maybe a whole modified QSV with new actuator arm might become available right off the shelf or at least a special order item, Is this possible, Larry?

Has anyone estimated the total conversion cost? It is probably at least 3k or more I would imagine. You have the 500 dollar unit plus mods, twin scroll turbo housing, and extensive labor costs. Other hidden costs?
__________________

Last edited by Bdave; 10-17-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #552
323tom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,205
My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
Hey Dave my car already had it fitted, can't remember the problem but I know p1lotliner had SADD succeed with his QSV install and I'm pretty sure he's the only one so far
__________________
323tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #553
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
Posts: 565
My Ride: Is very FAST
The QSV will work, we had it working. I just had an issue with one run of QSVs that our machinist did and the clearances were too tight causing them to bind when they got hot. Tom's just happened to be one of them and unlike a supra where you can get the turbo and QSV off in 30 min, its a major job on the BMW!
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #554
Bdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,827
My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post
Hey Dave my car already had it fitted, can't remember the problem but I know p1lotliner had SADD succeed with his QSV install and I'm pretty sure he's the only one so far
Yes, I know this. You and one other. Two total in the world as far as I know.

I emailed Larry about some things. Mostly about the QSV.
I was wondering if he would consider offering as a special order a pre modified QSV to fit an E-46 M3 engine bay using the Steed Speed (a lot of them out there I think) mani.

Or at least a tutorial on where to cut and re weld the actuator arm. Are there any other mods needed?

I am trying to get a handle on the TOTAL cost of adding a QSV, modify it, add a twin scroll turbo housing, labor etc...3k to 4k?
I know its not going to be cheap. This is likely the main reason guys are not lined up around the block waiting to get QSV's.
I dont see any down side except cost.

It sounds like Larry has QC under control. I want one. Eventually. Next year maybe.

Somebody should come out with a conversion kit with a full set of instructions. I realize that each size turbo takes different housing sizes.
Other wise, all else would be the same for each conversion.

It is just a shame that a bottom mount turbo on an M3 is ridiculously labor intensive to work on. I know at least one shop that prefers just to remove the entire motor to work on/swap out the turbo rather than struggle with incredible tight spaces.
__________________

Last edited by Bdave; 10-17-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #555
AirFrcd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mexico
Posts: 954
My Ride: Mfizzle, and GT-R
Charlie is the first one to have the QSV.
__________________
I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13

AirFrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #556
323tom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,205
My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
My bad I thought p1lotliner was, Charlie is the new owner of Jason's old car right? Either way limited people have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirFrcd View Post
Charlie is the first one to have the QSV.
__________________

Last edited by 323tom; 10-17-2012 at 08:26 PM.
323tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #557
Commanderwiggin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,830
My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
I didn't think Charlies car had a qsv? I must've missed that...
__________________
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:21 AM   #558
Bdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,827
My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post
My bad I thought p1lotliner was, Charlie is the new owner of Jason's old car right? Either way limited people have it.
Sorry if I mis quoted. The number of E46 M3 QSV owners is low. I just dont understand how geometry held up the installation of these devices for such a long time. It's not exactly simple as I led to believe, but it is a matter of modifying an actuator arm, right? Cut, realign and weld.

The bang for buck is pretty high if a QSV is installed right from the very beginning. A retro fit may be almost double the original expense? In any event, a lot, or more guys would be retro fitting I am guessing.

Has anyone obtained any reliable estimates of a QSV retrofit cost on a 67, 71, or 76mm PT turbo? Will it fit with the HPF log mani or just the Steed Speed? The Steed Speed fit is verified as per Tom's car.

If you order a turbo new from PT originally with a twin scroll housing, that would be a savings right there. I wonder if PT would give a core charge if anyone were to swap out housings in a retrofit situation?

Tom, this is your thread. Do you mind if we kicked the whole QSV retrofit issue around some? Your turbo housing portion was retrofitted IIRC.

The discussion doesnt have anywhere to go unless somebody has done some research into retrofit costs.

I remember someone saying that PT has a ready supply of twin scroll housings for the size turbos we normally use. Can somebody verify this?
__________________

Last edited by Bdave; 10-18-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:28 AM   #559
M5chas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: merryland
Posts: 702
My Ride: e90 m3 + cornfed gtr
Actually, my car doesn't have QSV. IMO it doesn't need it, e85 combined with this turbo makes for pretty quick spool.
__________________
M5chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #560
323tom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,205
My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
Why you lie you fuking guy HAHA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirFrcd View Post
Charlie is the first one to have the QSV.
Lol so it is only me and p1lotliner... I believe chads green machine was going to get the QSV but not sure if he ever did
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5chas View Post
Actually, my car doesn't have QSV. IMO it doesn't need it, e85 combined with this turbo makes for pretty quick spool.
__________________
323tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use