E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #661
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
This is the exact same vibration we get when we do solid mounts in a supra too! Just imagine sitting on the engine while revving it!
Sounds like there's no problem then, just a case of nvh from solid mounts. The way Tom described it, it sounded as if it was something other than just the mounts.

My car started with solid mounts (tranny, diff, motor).. wasn't all that bad (considering I'm driving a 800rwhp+ car, not a off the show room 300rwhp E46 M3). Then i added the cage.. which added to it, but still wasn't anything that bothered me all that much. Then I put in a one piece drive shaft.. and anything above 60mph it was violent.. removed it.. now back to being tolerable again.

Wish Tom had someone else in his area who had solid motor mounts so he could compare it to.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #662
323tom

My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
That's because Larry hasn't driven my car in the hiway with the 1 piece drive shaft (that I know of atleast, not that I care lol) it's exactly what your saying, I'm sure it still has vibrations but nothing like with the 1 pc drive shaft but I guess I won't know until I pick my car up
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
Sounds like there's no problem then, just a case of nvh from solid mounts. The way Tom described it, it sounded as if it was something other than just the mounts.

My car started with solid mounts (tranny, diff, motor).. wasn't all that bad (considering I'm driving a 800rwhp+ car, not a off the show room 300rwhp E46 M3). Then i added the cage.. which added to it, but still wasn't anything that bothered me all that much. Then I put in a one piece drive shaft.. and anything above 60mph it was violent.. removed it.. now back to being tolerable again.

Wish Tom had someone else in his area who had solid motor mounts so he could compare it to.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #663
MisterM

My Ride: 03 M3
Vibra-technics?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #664
323tom

Update: the heads pretty much taken out of the car, as for the head gasket we are trying to obtain the cooper cut ring gasket that Andreas at PPF used on mickes car, I'm waiting for a reply back from Andreas on when those will be ready for us North American customers

Edit: just got a reply from Andreas and the gasket won't be ready for several weeks

Last edited by 323tom; 04-04-2013 at 02:53 PM.
323tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #665
323tom

Update: ordered a new stock head gasket as I spoke with a couple people including Mert and he said the stock head gasket has never failed for him even with a 300 HP shot of nitrous, I guess SP used a cometic MLS gasket with my build last summer (apparently better for supras vs the stock supra gasket) which Mert says he went through a few of them and I guess and had problems as I did.

Wish me luck with the new stock gasket! Good thing is the block is flat and does my require machining so the beast should be back in action soon
Old 04-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #666
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
I still want to get the valve springs checked. What are the other guys using for valve springs??
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #667
MarcusLSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post
Update: ordered a new stock head gasket as I spoke with a couple people including Mert and he said the stock head gasket has never failed for him even with a 300 HP shot of nitrous, I guess SP used a cometic MLS gasket with my build last summer (apparently better for supras vs the stock supra gasket) which Mert says he went through a few of them and I guess and had problems as I did.

Wish me luck with the new stock gasket! Good thing is the block is flat and does my require machining so the beast should be back in action soon
Thank god! Hope to see it in action soon!

Quote:
I still want to get the valve springs checked. What are the other guys using for valve springs??
I believe Micke is using Supertech's and Mert is using Supertech springs with custom built valves (not supertech) if I recall.

New Build by Lab22

Old 04-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #668
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Can't beat the OEM Headgasket.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #669
MarcusLSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Can't beat the OEM Headgasket.
^-- Commanderoem

If I would have continued to push the boost I would have entertained a o-ring setup.

New Build by Lab22

Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #670
Cipri

My Ride: E46 M3 2002
OEM gasket + L19 = unbreakable
I'm using the same setup for my build.
Cipri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:46 AM   #671
Twin_Turbo_S54

My Ride: M3
OEM Gasket & L19 studs hold the pressures inside the block.

I ve been spraying 300 shot happily.
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #672
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo_S54 View Post
OEM Gasket & L19 studs hold the pressures inside the block.

I ve been spraying 300 shot happily.
What valve springs are you using and how much boost are you running?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #673
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
check with CES to see if they can't make you a cut ring gasket for your s54, they provide one for the s52/s50 and are local in the states. like marcus mentioned prep work required for the pyramid style but worth it if your shooting for high power. im surprised MLS held as long as it did on dyno.
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #674
323tom

Spoke with both CES and VAC and neither vendors have the cut ring gasket available for the E46 s54 motor, also I believe the cut ring gaskets CES had for the s50/s52 were PPF products and they would just buy large quantity to have them for state side customers but I spoke with a guy at CES and he said alot of installers/machinists were not installing the cut ring gaskets properly and had problems with them that's why they have not released for the E46.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #675
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Valve springs??
Old 04-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #676
323tom

Most turbo guys here are using stock, mainly the built N/A guys will have aftermarket valves for higher revs, I believe RS worxs is one of the only ones I've seen with the valve springs in there build
Quote:
Valve springs??

Last edited by 323tom; 04-11-2013 at 10:33 AM.
323tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #677
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

I need to know what guys running 30-45 psi of boost are using.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #678
MarcusLSB

Quote:
I need to know what guys running 30-45 psi of boost are using.
Supertech

New Build by Lab22

Old 04-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #679
str8dum1

My Ride: VQ38DETT
brand of spring doesnt matter, psi rating of the spring does. my supertech valvetrain usues 82psi but they are also offered in 64 and 70psi. gotta determine what stock spring pressure is 1st though to see if the valves pushing open is the culprit
Old 04-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #680
MarcusLSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8dum1 View Post
brand of spring doesnt matter, psi rating of the spring does. my supertech valvetrain usues 82psi but they are also offered in 64 and 70psi. gotta determine what stock spring pressure is 1st though to see if the valves pushing open is the culprit
Supertech only makes one application for the s54. I believe both Mert and Micke are running them. Mert is however running custom made valves iirc.

Part Number O.D. (MM) I.D. (MM) O.D. (MM) I.D. (MM) Seat Open mm mm lbs/mm Part Number
SPR-2521/BM 26.4mm 19.3mm 19.3mm 14.5mm 82@41 186@10 15.5mm 25.5mm 10mm RET-BM…

New Build by Lab22