E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Kcaps

My Ride: '02 325i
Idling at 4500???

Ever since its been cold my '02 325i's idle has been going crazy! I have read the threads about replacing the CCV system, but those guys are talking about idling around 2000. My car will rev around 3500 and often go above 4500. That is just scary to me. It will rev higher when I am in gear with the clutch engage, so at lights to keep it around 3500 I have to leave it in neutral with the clutch out.

My question is, is this the same CCV problem that others have had or is it something else, or a combination of other things? I'd really love to get some insight so I ca tell if it's something I can attempt to tackle myself, or if I'll need to bring it in to the shop.
Kcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
Kcaps

My Ride: '02 325i
Anyone have any thoughts? Am I posting this in the wrong section?
Kcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
No codes, no CEL/SES light? I am not familiar with the symptoms of a failing CCV (other than high oil consumption) so can only make wild guesses, but here are some:
--MAF is dirty or plug is loose, but that should throw a code
--ICV is dirty and sticking and you should clean it
--TB is dirty and sticking open when it's cold; Remove and clean TB; or wires to TB are loose or failing
--Vacuum leak in lower or upper intake boot is letting in unmetered air; perhaps one of the boots was old and cracked with the cold weather
--It is your CCV; try the freezer bag over oil fill hole test (but hang onto one end so if CCV is bad, the whole bag doesn't get sucked into the valve train area)

After the car warms up, does it do the same thing? I'm wondering if it does this when the engine is cold or when the external air is cold.

Note that if you are removing the TB, I think you have remove the ICV too, so if cleaning TB may as well clean ICV. And to remove either TB or ICV, you must remove upper and lower intake boots, so be sure to inspect both carefully for leaks. Lower boot likes to leak in its "thumb" which connects to the ICV.