E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
OPH325CI

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325Ci
I need help

I'm having alignment issues. I took my car to multiple dealerships and shops that claimed they could align bmw's. After trying they told me that they were unable to align my wheels. my left rear tire is at -2.2 camber and -1.75 it seems as if all my tires are off except the left front. Could there be a problem with something in the axle or whatever keeps the tires aligned that it is bent and if so how much do they usually run for.
OPH325CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
What are you having issue with. Stock camber on a sport package car for instance is about -1.7*, are you refering to your toe being out? does the car pull?

You will have to provide more information,.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
OPH325CI

the left front has -.9 camber and .10 toe. the right front has -1.5 camber and .27 toe. the left rear has -2.2 camber and -1.75 toe. the right rear has -1.4 camber and .9 toe. i don't know because it took them two hours and they were only able to fix the toe of the left front.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
You took it to a bmw dealer for this?

It might just be that the shops didn't know what they were doing. There's an order for alignment...don't know what it is, but that's one thing...I think Camber before toe, but don't quote me.

Then, they need to either add weight (like 150 lbs in the front seats, 150 in the rear seat, and I think 50 lbs. in the trunk...that, or have a machine that compensates for no weight.

Mostly I think they didn't know what they were doing. If they can't align it properly, they should at least be able to tell you why. Maybe they couldn't break apart the nut on the tie rod (because they didn't try hard enough or didn't try because they wanted to sell you new tie rods. In the rear, unless you're lowered (are you?), you should have enough adjustment to get camber right. I thought toe for the rear was supposed to be 0, but maybe not.

Anyway, what did this shop tell you was the reason why they couldn't do better?

If there's an issue getting it right, it's either the shop or some parts, or both. Sorry, not much help, I know...I'm not a mechanic...but pretend pretty well at times! lol

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
OPH325CI

I have no idea if I am lowered or not. they told me that they were just unable to align them. they had the factory details for the alignments, but were unable to get the adjustments to that standard.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
doshu

My Ride: E46 CI
Send a message via AIM to doshu
For the front, alignment for toe is done by adjusting the length of the tie rods. As they get old they are near impossible to turn to adjust. This could be a problem. As for the camber, usually most semi competent mechanics with equipment can fix that, adjustment is done at the point where your strut connects to the frame with three bolts. All of this done by laser measuring sort of gadgets so not all who claim that they can, actually can do it properly. Take it to a good shop, you are in Maryland, in Philly and West chester there are plenty of decent places that specializes in BMWs that can get it done for you, check the regional forums.

For the rear, its the RTABs are the ones that hard to adjust but not as hard as camber.

Check your tie rods by raising the front of the car and see if there is any 9 oclock to 3 oclock nudge of loose movement, there are you tube vids for this test.

Also check to see if your springs and struts are good. It could be a blown strut, or strut head, you could check for fluid leaks or do a simple bounce test. Blown control arm bushings could also throw off the camber values.. It seems your suspension needs some maintenance in any case.

I am guessing you hit a curb or something while parking, or hit a big pothole awhile ago and didnt even realize it, thats how I learned so much about suspension, a big ****in pot hole.

Last edited by doshu; 12-30-2011 at 09:10 PM.
doshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:42 AM   #7
elanlyfestyle

My Ride: 03 325ci
op there could definitely be something bent, Have you inspected the subframe or any other part underneath the car. Id check around for things that look out of place. Your car could have been ran over a curb or something similar which could bend something and throw the alignment off.
elanlyfestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:36 AM   #8
Pedi

My Ride: 330ci
i have the same problem ! the shop told me i have worn out bushings. i got home and they look brand new ! they charged me $120 even though they did not do the proper alignment.