E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
JDUTHIE

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Thumbs Up The good/bad vibrations thread

So among the sweet things that us XI owners get to deal with (Axles, One more diff, Open diffs at that, Broken rear springs, non replaceable ball-joints...BLAhh Blahh BLahh) Id have to say the most annoying/frustrating would have to be the sweet vibrations we get, either while driving, or in gear while stopped (ME).

We should all get together and end this SH33T once and for all...
JDUTHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
lol I have read countless threads about this and it always seems that no matter what the vibration is, replacing every single piece of the car results in just a 'slight' decrease in vibrations lol. But seriously, there was one where this guy replaced his ****in TC and all of his subframe mounts, and his engine mounts among other things to no avail...

thank god i dont have this vibration yet

oh way.........i do......

I have one that only occurs at a specific rmp (2k to be exact) but I have a new VCG, and ICV as well as besians VANOS rings sitting next to me right now! waiting for soem warm weather (aka spring) to do all of this
Old 12-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
gonna do meh vanos tomorrow.. just did my oil sep/ccv today, cold weather version #likeaboss
Old 12-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
JDUTHIE

I found the Vanos to be fun to do... i honestly have no idea why ahahah

But back on topic WHAT THE FVCK CAUSES THESE EVIL VIBRATIONS..Ill start

-worn/cheap axles...
Old 12-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
redbull 325is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUTHIE View Post
I found the Vanos to be fun to do... i honestly have no idea why ahahah

But back on topic WHAT THE FVCK CAUSES THESE EVIL VIBRATIONS..Ill start

-worn/cheap axles...
idecay
I have new rotors, reman GKN axles, unbent wheels and I still get it at like 50/60mph methinks its http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/31537500850/ES51418/

I also had a horrible one at idle (rattling in door) turned out to be bad motor mounts and a loose cable guide from my window regulator (zip tied it) #rickross
Old 12-07-2011, 10:55 PM   #6
JDUTHIE

I was suspecting my mounts, and have found severe wear/cracking on my dirvers side, But the vibration didnt start until after i redid my axles??? My vibration is in P,R,D but only when the car is stationary, and with my foot on the brake...
Old 12-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
EVERYONE LETS SOLVE THIS BIG E46 PROBLEM! xD
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #8
JDUTHIE

WE ARE THE ONLY HOPE!!!
No but seriously i just wanted to try and compile the majority of the causes and possible fixes to help everyone out, and so people dont have to post soo much
Old 12-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUTHIE View Post
I was suspecting my mounts, and have found severe wear/cracking on my dirvers side, But the vibration didnt start until after i redid my axles??? My vibration is in P,R,D but only when the car is stationary, and with my foot on the brake...
It's your motor mounts. Why would your axles cause vibration when you are stationary?
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
redbull 325is

loose cv will cause vibrations when in drive but stationary and this thread covers alot
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...ight=vibration
Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
what vibration you talking about? I have none.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
yea what vibrations are they talking about?

don't bother, its an xi thing and it can't be fixed,unless you get rid of the front axles
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #13
chaso

My Ride: 2001 330xi
What about a vibration only in the rear under acceleration?
chaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #14
jcarpfishman

My Ride: '01 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
lol I have read countless threads about this and it always seems that no matter what the vibration is, replacing every single piece of the car results in just a 'slight' decrease in vibrations lol. But seriously, there was one where this guy replaced his ****in TC and all of his subframe mounts, and his engine mounts among other things to no avail...
I know what that is like. I recently didn't have a vibration issue, but did a whole bunch of stuff while doing the subframe bushings to get rid of the infamous clunk (diff bushings, TC bushing, engine mounts, etc) and now I actually have a 2 different vibrations now that I didn't have before! I can only feel the one at idle for a few minutes right after a cold start. I was assuming at first that this could be the fact that the new engine mounts are much stiffer than the old ones, but these repairs were done about a month ago and I still get the cold idle vibration.

The second vibration...
Quote:
I have one that only occurs at a specific rmp (2k to be exact) but I have a new VCG, and ICV as well as besians VANOS rings sitting next to me right now! waiting for soem warm weather (aka spring) to do all of this
...is exactly this!! I noticed it the other night when circling my neighborhood. Seems to start around 1900 and by 2000 it's gone. Have you figured out what this could be yet? It seems to me that it's coming from the front somewhere... my guess:

1.) The bearing pedestal on the passenger side
2.) Front axles / CVs

We can probably rule out control arms, FCABs, and ball joints. I just replaced all those with OEM or PowerFlex parts then had an alignment. Never noticed the vibration until about a week ago.

PS If you've never done the VANOS seals... do it soon! Especially as the problems that worn seals cause are exacerbated by cold weather. Replacing the seals made a HUUUGE difference in low end torque, brought my fuel economy up, and the engine was much smoother overall. It also was the main cause of the idle vibration I had at the time (it just couldn't get the timing right, especially for cold idles), and cleaning the ICV took care of the rest of it.
jcarpfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #15
redbull 325is

Just finished my Vanos seals and the motor is alot happier/smoother/torquier
Old 12-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #16
JDUTHIE

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull 325is View Post
loose cv will cause vibrations when in drive but stationary and this thread covers alot
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...ight=vibration
Thanks for posting this!
Im having my mechanic check it out tommorow to so that thread will help alot!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #17
E RaK

My Ride: 2001 325xit
Quote:
idecay
I have new rotors, reman GKN axles, unbent wheels and I still get it at like 50/60mph methinks its http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/31537500850/ES51418/
Did you ever get to fixing that 50 to 60 vibration? I just replaced my sticky left front caliper which was causing massive vibration and brakes are no longer the issue, as with yours.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:34 AM   #18
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
idecay
did you replace the axle seals while you changed the axle?
also did you check the diff fluid after changing the axle?
I change my passenger side axle twice and the diff fluid leaked out so much the diff was making a chattering sound when cold at 35mph.
I filled it up noise went away.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #19
mrbudman13

My Ride: 2004 325i
OK guys I'm in the vibration club also. I only hear when I am driving and it is off and on not constant. Car is a 2004 325i sedan steptronic only 55,000 miles. I wanna say it is coming from underneath the car I tried to make a video of the sound but to much wind noise because I only hear it when driving any help would be appreciated it's driving me crazy...
mrbudman13 is offline   Reply With Quote