E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
nbesheer

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Issues with America's Tires

Ok so on 11-18-2011 I ordered some hankook ventus V12 for my Style 264's. 2 in 215/40/18 and 2 in 245/35/18. The price was $860 with free replacement certificates and service too, and there was a $100 rebate too. so the total would be $760.

This was on a Saturday afternoon and I was told that they would have to wait till Monday morning before the order went through and I would have them a couple days later. Anyways, every couple days I call and they're "Still on order."

Then one day I go down there to see what's up and they guy told me because they were on National back order that it would take a while to get them in which is ridiculous. I call yesterday and they guy looks them up and says they're not in yet and mentions that it can take a couple days to come in and if I ordered them a couple days ago. and he gets concerned when I tell him that "it's been a couple Saturdays since I ordered them" and tells me he's going to speak with his manager and have him call me back. I never received that call.

But here's the deal had I known that they were on national back order I would have bought the s.drives for a total of $30 more. but no one told me till a couple weeks in. so what should I do ? or rather what would you guys do if you were in this situation? Would it be acceptable of me to demand s.drives for no extra cost, or keep on waiting for the hankooks and try to get a discount ? I've driven just shy of 2,000 miles since i ordered them and I wish those miles were on new tires.

Thanks for any advice you all might be able to give me.

Last edited by nbesheer; 11-30-2011 at 11:27 AM.
nbesheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
tooredhots

My Ride: '01 325ci vert
If you are in a hurry, just order the s drives. I personally hated the hankooks. Ymmv. They can't control when stuff is on back order. I had the same problem when switching out the hankooks for a set of ps2. I just had to wait.

Bone stock, style 68s FTW!
tooredhots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
We have the same problem with out of stock Hankook tires. The difference is that I actually tell people up front that they will be waiting at least four to six weeks or longer... Have you considered Sumitomo HTRZ3? They actually had better test results during the last test versus the Hankook V12 :

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...&affiliate=BN4

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
nbesheer

I actually only considered ones that showed up for an 09 135i vert sport. I see the conti DW and s.drives are on back order for the fronts, how long does it take to get those? And the ventus k12 are special order for the fronts... :? And the tirerack road hazard is that similar to the optional warranty at Americas tire?

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer
Old 12-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
323I00

My Ride: E46 323I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack View Post
We have the same problem with out of stock Hankook tires. The difference is that I actually tell people up front that they will be waiting at least four to six weeks or longer... Have you considered Sumitomo HTRZ3? They actually had better test results during the last test versus the Hankook V12 :

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...&affiliate=BN4
I hate to say this but what a garbage tire that Is (Sumitomo HTRZ3) Those tires are meant for JDMS scraps.

How can one complain against the Hankooks..

Functional justification... true. But girls dropping their panties counts for something
BBK on non-supercharged-non-m..... because chasecar
323I00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:39 AM   #6
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323I00 View Post
I hate to say this but what a garbage tire that Is (Sumitomo HTRZ3) Those tires are meant for JDMS scraps.

LOL whatever man. The htr z III is a great tire.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:55 AM   #7
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323I00 View Post

I had the Sumitomo HTRZ3's on my previous car, an 01' Eclipse. I came outside one morning, and the rear tire was flat. When I saw it, it was dead flat against the ground. The sidewall was completely compressed, laying flat against the ground. This is on a Z rated tire. I had Goodyear Z rated tires on the car before, and had a similar flat one morning. The tire had a major hole in the center of the tread, and there was zero tire pressure. But the tire itself was still supporting the weight of the car. It actually looked like it was just a little low on air. The Sumitomo had a screw embedded in the tread, so the sidewall was not damaged. The point here is that Z rated tires should have major sidewall reinforcement, like the Goodyear. The Sumitomo tire seemed to have no strength at all in the sidewall. With a Z rated tire, this is extremely important. That sidewall strength is what keeps the tire planted. I had always felt like the Sumitomos wallowed around quite a lot, and did not corner well at all. That flat tire confirmed what I was feeling. I have seen H rated tires that did not deform that much when flat. BTW - neither one of these tires were run-flats, so that is not the reason for the difference. I tried to save some money with the Sumitomo's, but they were definitely not worth it. In my opinion, I don't know how they even got a Z speed raring, considering how weak the sidewalls were. I have Michelin PS2's on my 330 ci, and one of them developed a slow leak. I checked the tire pressure, and it was 18lbs, but I could not even tell it was low, just by looking at it. Again, it is not a run flat tire. Now that is a stiff sidewall. Just my experience, FWIW. Also, as I am writing this, I realized that I seem rack up a lot of tire punctures.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 12-03-2011 at 03:57 AM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
ZZen330

"Sumitomos wallowed around quite a lot, and did not corner well at all."

Exact opposite to my experience. My car feels like it corners on rails with the HTR Z III. And yes I've experienced all kinds of tires over the years. Read Tire Racks tests for objective data and you'll see it was the fastest tire around the road course compared to three other Max summer tires and also won a previous TR max summer tire shootout/comparo. The previous HTR Z 2 was not nearly as good a tire but the Z 3 was a huge improvement and actual test data backs that up.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=93

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=149

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-d...in-recent-test

Sure the high end Michelin may outperform it but also costs way more.

PS -MJLavalle - I noticed you're from NC... you must have heard about that fraud Scott Shields? It really sucks how he scammed good people in NC http://www.scottshieldsisafraud.com/index.html

Last edited by ZZen330; 12-03-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
nbesheer

All I know is I have generals on my car now and they're pretty bad. The dsc light comes on all the time in all driving conditions :/ my last e46 had direzzas on it and they gripped well but I didn't really push them.

I do think its funny how people on this forum have good things to say about the hankooks but on corvette forums they love them. I wonder if its because they have such huge tires?

I still dont have any tires lol

Old 12-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
"Sumitomos wallowed around quite a lot, and did not corner well at all."

Exact opposite to my experience. My car feels like it corners on rails with the HTR Z III. And yes I've experienced all kinds of tires over the years. Read Tire Racks tests for objective data and you'll see it was the fastest tire around the road course compared to three other Max summer tires and also won a previous TR max summer tire shootout/comparo. The previous HTR Z 2 was not nearly as good a tire but the Z 3 was a huge improvement and actual test data backs that up.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=93

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=149

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-d...in-recent-test

Sure the high end Michelin may outperform it but also costs way more.

PS -MJLavalle - I noticed you're from NC... you must have heard about that fraud Scott Shields? It really sucks how he scammed good people in NC http://www.scottshieldsisafraud.com/index.html
Now that I think about it, I probably had the Z2's. Maybe they reinforced the Z3's. But I wish I had taken pics of that tire laying flat as a pancake. But, a tire can perform well, and still not feel good doing it. They may be hanging on at the limit, but they may not inspire confidence. It is all subjective. But for the price, they may be a good option. And maybe they have improved them. My experience left a bad impression, so I would hesitate to try them. But that does not mean I am right. It comes down to personal choice. If you are happy, then that is what counts.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
ZZen330

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Now that I think about it, I probably had the Z2's. Maybe they reinforced the Z3's. But I wish I had taken pics of that tire laying flat as a pancake. But, a tire can perform well, and still not feel good doing it. They may be hanging on at the limit, but they may not inspire confidence. It is all subjective. But for the price, they may be a good option. And maybe they have improved them. My experience left a bad impression, so I would hesitate to try them. But that does not mean I am right. It comes down to personal choice. If you are happy, then that is what counts.
Yeah true enough. Good response.

Oh to the OP, the Hankooks are still good tires. I know someone who has them and likes them.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #12
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
I have hankooks on my z now and for the price they are not bad. They are extremely quiet but break traction easy in the rear when I'm stepping on it. Had some Goodyear eagle gts they cost more and they sucked!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer
Old 12-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbesheer View Post
All I know is I have generals on my car now and they're pretty bad. The dsc light comes on all the time in all driving conditions :/ my last e46 had direzzas on it and they gripped well but I didn't really push them.

I do think its funny how people on this forum have good things to say about the hankooks but on corvette forums they love them. I wonder if its because they have such huge tires?

I still dont have any tires lol

My car had the Generals on it when I bought it. The best thing you can say about them is that they are cheap, and they fit. My rear wheels started making so much noise, I thought my rear bearings were shot, or my RTAB'S had turned to mush. But both things were fine (well, the RTAB'S could stand to be replaced). I put on a set of Michelin PS2's, and I was AMAZED by the difference in how the car drove (I had never driven it with any other tires besides the Generals), and how quiet it was. It was like a different car. I have a suggestion, and I am sure I will get flamed for this. When I decided to change tires, I wanted the Michelin PS2's. But I did not want to drop $900 on a set of tires, just to find out that they did not make a huge difference. So, I went on eBay, and I looked for a good set of used PS2's. There are dealers on there that guarantee no patches, and will replace any tire you are not happy with. I bought a set of good rear tires (Staggered set up), with 70% tread left, and then I found a set of fronts that claimed 70%, but looked closer to 80% tread. I called the dealer, to ask how they had tires with so much tread left for sale. He said that some people will come in with rear tires that are shot, but the fronts are fine, but they will buy a new complete set, and leave the 2 good fronts behind. Anyway, my intention was just to run them for a while, as a test. But they feel great, and the tread depth is still fine, so I am still driving on them. I paid $260 total plus install ($12 each), and I have nearly new PS2's. A single PS2 costs more than that. Now people are going to say it is dangerous, and a waste of money, etc. But they will replace any tire you don't like, and you can check them out before installing them. I did this for years with my Miata, when I was in college. I always had some of the best brand tires, I drove more than 120k miles during that time, on 3 different sets of some of the best performance tires you could get. I still intend to get new PS2's, but for now, these are working great for me. It may take a few weeks to find a good set with good tread depth, but it is a good option. Some of the places even offer free shipping. Like I said, I expect to get flamed for this, big time, so let's get it over with......
Old 12-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
nbesheer

Finally got my tires installed. They're so much better than what I had. Braking performance has greatly increased.

So I have style 264 rims from a 135i with stock F 215/40/18, and R 245/35/18 with no rubbing even with people in it. I'm going to buy spacers soon though.

The tires look a bit skinny at the sidewalls. Almost as if the next tire size up would have been a better fit. But it might just be because of the brand.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #15
ZZen330

Quote:
Finally got my tires installed. They're so much better than what I had. Braking performance has greatly increased.

So I have style 264 rims from a 135i with stock F 215/40/18, and R 245/35/18 with no rubbing even with people in it. I'm going to buy spacers soon though.

The tires look a bit skinny at the sidewalls. Almost as if the next tire size up would have been a better fit. But it might just be because of the brand.

Yeah those tire sizes are shorter than stock. 225/40/18 and 255/35/18 would match proper stock specs.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #16
CalE46xi

My Ride: 3 pedals Xi
Send a message via AIM to CalE46xi
Quote:
Ok so on 11-18-2011 I ordered some hankook ventus V12 for my Style 264's. 2 in 215/40/18 and 2 in 245/35/18. The price was $860 with free replacement certificates and service too, and there was a $100 rebate too. so the total would be $760.

This was on a Saturday afternoon and I was told that they would have to wait till Monday morning before the order went through and I would have them a couple days later. Anyways, every couple days I call and they're "Still on order."

Then one day I go down there to see what's up and they guy told me because they were on National back order that it would take a while to get them in which is ridiculous. I call yesterday and they guy looks them up and says they're not in yet and mentions that it can take a couple days to come in and if I ordered them a couple days ago. and he gets concerned when I tell him that "it's been a couple Saturdays since I ordered them" and tells me he's going to speak with his manager and have him call me back. I never received that call.

But here's the deal had I known that they were on national back order I would have bought the s.drives for a total of $30 more. but no one told me till a couple weeks in. so what should I do ? or rather what would you guys do if you were in this situation? Would it be acceptable of me to demand s.drives for no extra cost, or keep on waiting for the hankooks and try to get a discount ? I've driven just shy of 2,000 miles since i ordered them and I wish those miles were on new tires.

Thanks for any advice you all might be able to give me.
Which store did you go to? I work at an americas tire co in Northern CA, I would be more than happy to make something happen and get a coworker to get what you need, fast.
CalE46xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #17
nbesheer

I went to the one in Norco. It was just irritating that I wasn't kept in the loop is all. Thank and by the time it was it was kind of too late to switch. But they dismounted an extra set of tires for me which was nice.