E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
Nerd

My Ride: '04 ZHP Coupe 6MT
Changing OFHG, VANOS seals, CCV, etc soon. Am I forgetting anything?

So, I'm getting ready to replace a few things on my car since I discovered a leaking oil filter housing and VANOS rattle the other day. Not surprising for a 100k ZHP from what I've read. I already covered a few bases on maintenance, but I'm still new to these cars and engines (little bit different than the old M20 ), so I'm looking for some opinions on my planned list. Anything else that should be done "while I'm in there", or anything I'm planning to do that I'm wasting my time on?

So anyway, I bought the car at 97750 / 98500 by the time I got it home. It's now at 100750 about 3 and change months later. Here's what I've done so far:
NGK BKR6EQUP spark plugs
Stainless clutch line / CDV removal and bled with ATE Type 200
Mahle air filter
Transmission "fluid" replaced with Redline D4 ATF and MTL 50/50 mix
Vacuumed old fluid out of P/S reservoir and replaced with new Shell ATF several times over a few days until fluid stayed cleaner then replaced the reservoir with a new ZF unit.
Continental serpentine and A/C belts
Graf water pump
Wahler thermostat
Meyle expansion tank
BMW coolant
New o-ring on coolant temp sensor on bottom radiator hose
Differential refilled with Redline 75W90
Mahle fuel filter
Brakes bled with ATE SL.6
Oil change with Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W40 and MANN filter

I didn't change the coolant hoses because I've read they're good for longer than the thermostat and tank. I also didn't replace the expansion tank cap, but I'm starting to think I should. Idler pulleys felt good, so I left them well enough alone.

Now then, here's what I have planned:
Already bought an oil filter housing gasket, but didn't replace it yet as it wasn't leaking. ...at the time
Got a valve cover gasket, so I'm going to do that as well.
VANOS feed line. Read I should do this when I do the OFHG.
VANOS seals. Planning to use Besian. Also, I have access to a lathe, and my Dad has looked over the VANOS rebuild procedure pretty carefully and doesn't think the rattle fix kit is necessary and can be handled with the stock parts.
VANOS unit gasket.
CCV rebuild kit. Cold climate version.
Both intake boots.
Intake manifold gaskets.
Fuel injector o-rings. Worthwhile to have them flow-tested?
Clean ICV while the manifold is off.
Read mixed things on cleaning the throttle body. Some people say to do it; others say with drive-by-wire to leave it alone.
DISA valve rebuild. I like the look of the German Auto Solutions kit.
Going to take a look at my alternator, so I can get the right voltage regulator replacement.

I think that covers it. What's everyone think?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:30 AM   #2
Snipez4664

My Ride: '00 328i
you pretty much have it covered. i wouldn't do the rattle fix unless you have a rattle. From my understanding, usually if you replace the seals early enough (100k is fairly early), it helps prevent that issue.
My cooling system burst at 102k or so and i replaced the expansion tank and radiator. by 107k my lines had gone. Just do them so you don't have to worry about the whole system. You'l spend twice as much on a tow when they fail in 10k or less. You don't need to pull the intake manifold to do the CCV, and that way ou can save on the gasket since i rarely hear of them leaking. The mani was more trouble for me than i thought it would be. I don't think you need to test the injectors, they will check out fine if your car is running well. If anything, run a bottle of seafoam in your oil, gas and vacuum line (1/3 in each) to clear anything out.
If the DISA rebuilt kit doesn't come wit a new outer seal, search and find the o-ring size to get. otherwise you will have a bad intake leak (even gave me a misfire).
Everything else looks good.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
Nerd

My Ride: '04 ZHP Coupe 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipez4664 View Post
you pretty much have it covered. i wouldn't do the rattle fix unless you have a rattle. From my understanding, usually if you replace the seals early enough (100k is fairly early), it helps prevent that issue.
My cooling system burst at 102k or so and i replaced the expansion tank and radiator. by 107k my lines had gone. Just do them so you don't have to worry about the whole system. You'l spend twice as much on a tow when they fail in 10k or less. You don't need to pull the intake manifold to do the CCV, and that way ou can save on the gasket since i rarely hear of them leaking. The mani was more trouble for me than i thought it would be. I don't think you need to test the injectors, they will check out fine if your car is running well. If anything, run a bottle of seafoam in your oil, gas and vacuum line (1/3 in each) to clear anything out.
If the DISA rebuilt kit doesn't come wit a new outer seal, search and find the o-ring size to get. otherwise you will have a bad intake leak (even gave me a misfire).
Everything else looks good.
It does have a rattle. If I warm the car up and then pop the hood and run it slowly up to about 2200, it's very noticeable. I was surprised by just how loud it is actually. And, I was hoping not to hear that about the coolant hoses. The one to the expansion tank was a real pain to fit, and I was hoping not to mess with any of that for awhile. As for the intake manifold, I don't care if it doesn't need to be pulled; I'm just doing it to make the job easier. I've done enough jobs the hard way to save 5 minutes of not taking something off that costs me hours in the end, so the $20 in gaskets doesn't bother me a bit. I can see your point about the injectors being fine if the engine runs fine. I'm just maybe going a little overboard to be sure everything's operating at peak efficiency as I'm hoping to get some dyno-tuning done on this car. I doubt I'll bother to have them rebuilt, though. At most I'll probably just run some cleaner through them when I have them out.
I believe the GAS kit comes with a new o-ring. If not, I'll just take some measurements and order one from McMaster-Carr.

Thanks for your input. Anybody else have anything? I've read one post that says to replace the dipstick tube with the CCV, but that's the only reference I found to that so far.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
bee-em-dougle-u

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Maybe an ICV grommet? Couldn't hurt while you're in there....$14 part.

2002 BMW 325i sedan
Manual gearbox, but of course!
Tasteful mods
128K miles and counting
bee-em-dougle-u is offline   Reply With Quote