E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #21
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
I'd still check the fuel pump and the filter. Running on empty tank does take its toll on the fuel pump. I'm not really sure how the gas meter works on our cars, but I believe it should still be sensor and cable linked.
Make sure you put only premium gas, our cars dont like lower octane gas.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #22
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Murk View Post
I guess my gas meter and computer isnt functioning properly cause all i did was put some gas in it and it started right up
If you gas gauge was around 1/4 tank, then some things to look at are

Siphon pump
Level Sending units L & R
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #23
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Document your facts

Because the head of Porsche engineering explained that all their cars are designed to run on regular gas with no problems as they are 'world cars' and will run in countries where premium is never available. That is why the term 'recommended' is always used.
BMW has stated the same sentiment in slightly different terms, and tunes their cars so that they adjust to 89 octane with no problems. That's what our knock sensors and ECM are for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
I'd still check the fuel pump and the filter. Running on empty tank does take its toll on the fuel pump. I'm not really sure how the gas meter works on our cars, but I believe it should still be sensor and cable linked.
Make sure you put only premium gas, our cars dont like lower octane gas.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #24
TX78666

My Ride: 330i ZHP, N55 135i
Happened to me, exactly like that, when my CCV went bad.

Oops. Except for the part about it starting up when you put gas in.

:-)

Last edited by TX78666; 12-13-2011 at 03:04 PM.
TX78666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #25
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Quote:
@ BigRick. how much did the headlight cost you and did you install them yourself?
I just bought the Angel Eyes from Unmitza.com. They seem to be one of the best... And the brightest. I have the stock Zenons so I had no need to buy new front lights. (Now lenses... THAT's another story!) They are easy to install... You need to follow the directions on the web though. It took me about an hour and a half. I wanted to take my time with it. I could have probably shaved that time in half if I rushed... But I really don't like doing that. Maybe it's a zen thing.... The thing that took most of my time up was getting the positive battery terminal block off under the hood. The sum***** didn't want to budge. I finally forced it and it popped off.

They look sweet though. You could almost drive with them and no headlights! I have my daytime running lights off so the AEs are my DRLs... I'll take pics for a nice siggy once I get my tinted lenses in and installed! Then I am getting the whole car tinted this Saturday.. So that will really make it look sweet!

NWS and Advertising Removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
You don't outgrow stupid.
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #26
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
18' rims are a tad too big, OP. You turning it into a Monster Truck sort of thing? I think 2' is the absolute biggest you can go without doing quite a bit more to the car.

Also, you shouldn't threadjack, especially your own threads. It makes it very easy for you to end up with an unresolved problem. Also, I assure you, there are about 15 things on your car that need attending to more than large rims and headlight do-das. Just saying.

Not being a d!ck...just a Doug!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #27
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Because the head of Porsche engineering explained that all their cars are designed to run on regular gas with no problems as they are 'world cars' and will run in countries where premium is never available. That is why the term 'recommended' is always used.
BMW has stated the same sentiment in slightly different terms, and tunes their cars so that they adjust to 89 octane with no problems. That's what our knock sensors and ECM are for.

I just wanted to tell him to use premium(whats recommended). Of course he can run 89 or lower if he wants to, but it will give bad gas mileage and make the engine work more. The engine will adapt itself to burn more fuel because of less octane hence, will have to work more to burn more fuel.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:21 PM   #28
Stinger9

Now we agree!!

Cars will run with less power and lower mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
I just wanted to tell him to use premium(whats recommended). Of course he can run 89 or lower if he wants to, but it will give bad gas mileage and make the engine work more. The engine will adapt itself to burn more fuel because of less octane hence, will have to work more to burn more fuel.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:07 AM   #29
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by moiz21 View Post
Filter is like $20 through our vendors. I believe the cheapest you will find a fuel pump is like $150. Just do both, since a clogged filter will cause premature death of your fuel pump. Since it is relatively inexpensive, might as well do both.
Who sells a fuel filter for $20? I would like to know, because I have never seen one for much less than $40.

@OP - are the lenses on your headlights messed up, or are you thinking that you need new ones because of the Angel Eyes?
If the lenses are messed up, then you can buy some auto body sand paper, and wet sand them and buff them, and they will look like new. It just takes a little time and patience, and as dmax pointed out, you will be needing that money for other things. And don't just assume because it is running, that everything is fine. Do some reading on here, and you will see that there are a lot of things that probably need attention, even if it seems like all is well. Don't blow all your money on mods, and end up with your car sitting in the driveway because you can't afford a water pump. Also, you should check out the prices of 19in tires, before buying 19in wheels. Even 18's are bad. I see so many people with $2000 wheels, and the crappiest, cheapest tires you can get, because they did not consider how much a good set of tires would cost, and how soon they would need them. Sorry to sound like an old man here, but you have to consider these things before you jump in. Lots of bald a$$ tires of nice wheels out there.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:15 AM   #30
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Who sells a fuel filter for $20? I would like to know, because I have never seen one for much less than $40.
The fuel filter for the 330 is more expensive than mine (323). Didn't realize there was such a big difference between models. Just looked it up. Never had a reason to check pricing on another model other than my own.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #31
Stinger9

Understandable!

Who would think?
But I think the difference is by years rather than model. Soon after your model year they went to a more complex fuel filter that incorporates a pressure regulator. I took my old one apart, so I know how simple it really is and should not cost nearly as much as it does, but what are you going to do?

If only the Chinese got smart and realize they could make quality parts that we'd want for a low price rather than garbage parts that smell & might kill us for low prices.
I wonder if we lived in China, life would be hell because everything would rot after six months and break after two weeks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiz21 View Post
The fuel filter for the 330 is more expensive than mine (323). Didn't realize there was such a big difference between models. Just looked it up. Never had a reason to check pricing on another model other than my own.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #32
Jerry Murk

My Ride: 03 325i
i got the thing up and running but now i wanna change the fuel filter and pump. how much do you guys think it will cost?
Old 12-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #33
Stinger9

Probably could do both

For around $160 depending upon how good a shopper you are.

Quote:
i got the thing up and running but now i wanna change the fuel filter and pump. how much do you guys think it will cost?
http://www.bmaparts.com/

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/homeBMW.aspx

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/homeBMW.aspx

And have you given up on checking your sucking pump?

Last edited by Stinger9; 12-17-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Tags
battery, bmw, engine, power, stall