E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
nimmo01

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
Just got my Peake scanner today

Came nicely packaged from bimmertools, everything was there and in new condition. Read the instructions for a few minutes which was literally a few, maybe 3-4 minutes to learn how to use this thing. Cleared my Service Engine Soon light and got some other warning codes which I'm hoping someone here can help me out with. I have a 2001 BMW 325i. The codes that I pulled are:

8F - DM-TL leak detected
F5 - Secondary Air Flow too low cylinders 1-3
F6 - Secondary Air Flow too low cylinders 4-6
E3 - O2 sensor adaptation limit Cylinders 1-3
E4 - O2 sensor adaptation limit Cylinders 4-6
A8 - Coolant thermostat jammed open
EE - Misfire cylinder 1

The last 2 are self explanatory but I'm not sure what the first 5 are and if they are related to one problem. Overall the Peake Scanner is really nice and easy to use, and worth the money. I'm just surprised it didn't say anything about my brakes, because the brake pad warning light is on in the dash and I thought this scanner could detect which one it is, other than that a great tool.

Last edited by nimmo01; 09-09-2011 at 05:30 PM.
nimmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
Hi - first, thanks for the order!

Regarding the codes, definitely reset everything, drive normally, and see what returns. Some of the codes may be old and not indicative of any current issues.

Once you know what's acive, do some digging here and get fixin'.

Ken

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
Onesick330ci

My Ride: 330ci
Hey how much did you pay for it?
Onesick330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
We sell them for $139.99 shipped.

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Drez1985

My Ride: 325Ci
I would do what ken said and do reset and see which codes come back. The first codes might mean that you have a vaccum leak somewhere, and also might need new thermostat. Just reset and see which codes come back and go from there.
Drez1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
nimmo01

i paid $176 shipped because i got the universal one that reads from year 1987-2006 because i like to work on cars and plan on keeping this for a while.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
Onesick330ci

My Ride: 330ci
Thanks guys for the input I should be getting mines soon...!
Onesick330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #8
nimmo01

just for reference, i found that the hose from that copper canister next to the air pump, leading to the back of the engine was broken, so after i swapped that hose for a new one, all of the codes went away.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
nimmo01

well i spoke too soon. i replaced the thermostat and the hose from the relay valve that goes to the back of the engine and got rid of most of the codes. now only the F5 and F6 codes keep coming up. now my question is, the air pump is pumping air, but i noticed that it whines a lot only when i go wide open throttle and at about 4-5k rpm, is this normal? when i drive normally i don't hear anything and i have verified that it is pumping air, any suggestions? should i replace the tan colored valve?
Old 12-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
nimmo01

*UPDATE*

DM-TL leak was fixed. I first replaced the fuel cap but that didn't help, then I replaced the DM-TL module on the back passenger side of the car and the code never came back.

Secondary air flow was fixed by replacing the hoses that come off of the air pump and the tan valve, one hose leads to the rear of the engine. Also, replaced the air pump itself when the codes came back because the air pump wasn't pumping air, after that the codes never came back.

Replaced thermostat and fixed that code.

Now I just replaced the pre-cat O2 sensors and now I get these codes.

E3 - O2 sensor adaptation limit Cylinders 1-3
E4 - O2 sensor adaptation limit Cylinders 4-6

CA- O2 sensor control limit Cylinders 1-3
CB- O2 sensor control limit Cylinders 4-6

I checked around the intake manifold and found two vacuum leaks that I fixed but the codes still come back. I am wondering if this has anything to do with the O2 sensors I just installed. They are oem bosch and i just got the control limit codes after installing them. Any ideas?