E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 04:29 AM   #181
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: Euro
Send a message via AIM to Don Nguyen
Gloss black for what?

-Don
Don Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:14 AM   #182
Phanster

My Ride: old beemer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
Gloss black for what?

-Don
He wanted gloss black. I gave him your number Don.

No Need to Kick a Man while he is Down - That's Just Cowardly!!
Phanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #183
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

For the roof ?
Old 07-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #184
hizhinezz

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
Your car is now ready whenever you are

-Don
Just have to say guys, doing business with Don was a pleasure and his work is immaculate, these pics don't really do it justice but I love the way it all came out and he's a professional in every way. I've seen some peeps advertise locally on CL for cheaper rates but I'm truly satisfied with the quality of the work and very glad I waited and paid the difference...

Thanks Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1342721685.342398.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	461470   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1342721700.520072.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	461471  
Old 07-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #185
hizhinezz

This shows it a bit better, and no mo chromium trim at all...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1342722271.557173.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	461472   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1342722320.295519.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	461473   Click image for larger version

Name:	cf.look.roof.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	461503   Click image for larger version

Name:	cf.look.trunk.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	461504  

Last edited by hizhinezz; 07-19-2012 at 08:03 PM.
hizhinezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #186
AlexTe46

My Ride: 2001>325i>sedan
Quote:
For the roof ?
Yeah I want to do a roof hood and trunk
Old 07-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #187
themadone

My Ride: BMW
how much for the 4x6 roof Gloss black
themadone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #188
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

PM sent.

Thanks for everyone who was able to make it out to me in San Jose during my trip up there. I always do enjoy coming up to norcal to do vinyl work and hang out in the city after work I had people from all over norcal come out to me, ranging from Berkeley, Santa Cruz, San Francisco, Vallejo, Sacramento, and from other cities around in the area.

My schedule was completely packed/booked this trip up and I know there were several people's cars that I weren't able to schedule or get to, so I may be planning another trip up there sometime in August. Tentatively I will be there the 20th - 25th, but I may only be working during the weekdays, which would be the 20th - 24th. After this trip, I do not know when the next time I will be able to make it back up to norcal, as my schedule is going to be fairly busy for the next couple of months after this. I will create a new thread for my August trip, but if you interested in getting your car worked on, e-mail me (donathon@gmail.com) to schedule/reserve an appointment slot/time. The sooner the better, as it is first come first serve.

There were a lot of cars that I worked on while up there, so it'll take a while for me to get around to being able to post pictures of all of them. The owner of this black Mercedes Benz E63 brought his car by to me to have me black out his chrome window trim with my gloss black vinyl material as well as lightly tint / smoke his head lights and tail lights. Took some up close pictures of the edges of the trim and lights to show the coverage and details for those who have asked or were interested in seeing more detailed pictures of my work. The tint / smoke film material that I use is fairly light, as to minimize the amount of light output that is reduced/decreased. It's also light enough where you should not get any hassle/issues from cops for them, as they almost resemble how a lot of factory tinted / smoked tail lights look now a days.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 07-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #189
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizhinezz View Post
Just have to say guys, doing business with Don was a pleasure and his work is immaculate, these pics don't really do it justice but I love the way it all came out and he's a professional in every way. I've seen some peeps advertise locally on CL for cheaper rates but I'm truly satisfied with the quality of the work and very glad I waited and paid the difference...

Thanks Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizhinezz View Post
This shows it a bit better, and no mo chromium trim at all...
Glad you liked it. Thanks for the pictures. I'll post up the ones I took of your car when I did it eventually as well.

This car was the very last car that I did during my trip in norcal / Bay Area. The owner of this car drove out to me in San Jose from San Francisco. I was almost not able to get to this car, but luckily on my last day up there, I finished all of my other appointments early enough to leave just enough time to do one more car. He decided to have me vinyl wrap the roof of his Alpine White E46 M3 with the gloss black material to give it a factory / panoramic roof look. I think the black roof really makes the red interior pop even more.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 07-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #190
Healthservices

My Ride: 325i 545i
Thanks Don for the vinyl today!
Healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #191
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Np, hopefully it works out for you.

This Alpine White BMW E90 4-door 335i came by to have me vinyl wrap his chrome / brushed aluminum window trim with my matte black vinyl material. In addition to doing his window trim, I also wrapped his roof with the 3M di-noc matte carbon fiber finish to really set off the car. We had the antenna fin cover painted matte black, which went fairly well with the matte finish of the roof. The matte black window trim and matte roof also ties in together nicely. Also as a reference point, the trunk spoiler is real carbon fiber. From further away the carbon fiber finish looks more of a solid matte / flat black finish, but as you get closer to the car/roof, the carbon fiber weaves/design becomes more visible, which is also another nice subtle touch/look.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 07-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #192
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Even on a more stock-ish car, blacking out the chrome / aluminum window trim can change the dynamics of the car's looks greatly. It won't necessarily give it a modified/aftermarket look, but it definitely adds to the car's look, while still looking factory. The owner of this car drove out to me in Orange County / Anaheim Hills to get the wrap done. Everything is done seamlessly and in one piece to retain that factory look and without making it seem like a wrap job. We went with the matte black on this car to still give it some contrast and accent the trim pieces, instead of going with gloss black which would have made it kind of disappear into the car's black paint.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 08-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #193
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This is one of the cars that I did some vinyl work on last month when I was up in norcal / Bay Area for vinyl wrapping. The owner of this car had me black out the chrome / aluminum window trim on his black E63 wagon. In addition to that, I also tinted his tail lights with my smoke film. Instead of tinting the entire tail light, I cut out the clear portion of the tail lights so that only the red is tinted / smoked. At first I wasn't sure how it'd look, but the contrast it ends up creating is pretty nice and I must say I like it. We also went with the matte black over the gloss black for the window trim, to provide some contrast to the gloss black paint and allow the trim pieces to still accent the car.

Before:

Driver (left) side stock - Passenger (right) side tinted / smoked before clear portion was trimmed out:

After:

Tinted / smoked tail lights WITH clear portion trimmed out now:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 08-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #194
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this car drove out to me in San Jose from Vallejo when I was up in norcal last time doing vinyl wraps. For this white Acura RSX, we went with the gloss black vinyl finish over the matte black to give it a more factory look. It gives it a nice continuous finish from the front windshield to the rear windshield. The black roof also sets off the black wheels fairly nicely as well.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 08-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #195
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this blue E90 335i sedan originally had his roof painted black and his carbon fiber hood painted gloss black in the center and body color on the sides. However, the condition of the black paint was no longer as nice as it once was when it was originally painted, so he had me vinyl wrap over it. Instead of just going with the gloss black again, he had me use the 3M 1080 gloss carbon fiber material, to change up the look a bit. I ended up just doing the center of the hood in carbon, essentially just covering up the pieces/parts that were painted gloss black. He also originally had his window trim wrapped in gloss black, but the job wasn't that great, so I redid that for him. I believe the owner of this car was from Long Beach and drove out to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County. You can see that this material is a lot glossier than the 3M di-noc matte carbon fiber vinyl, but you will still never get the depth that real carbon fiber pieces have, since those parts/pieces have a thick gel coat on top of the carbon to provide that look.

You can see that the

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 08-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #196
hizhinezz

That's funny, he basically has the same car as me just newer version and had you do similar treatment. Should have done the trunk lid!
Old 08-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #197
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

That's true. I actually did this car about a month or two before actually going up to norcal to do your car. This car also had the glossier 1080 carbon fiber vinyl applied to it, while I used the matte dinoc finish for your car.

-Don
Old 08-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #198
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The headlights of this white E-class had become a little pitted and slightly faded over the years. So to freshen it up a bit and change up the look at the same time, I used my lightly smoked / tinted film that I also normally use on the tail lights for these head lights. The film covers up any rock chips, provides a glossy shine, and protects the headlights at the same time. A clear film could provide the same thing, but the owner wanted me to use the smoke / tint film for his car. It's a fairly light shade, so light output isn't really affected, which is a good thing. The owner of this car was from south orange county in Mission Viejo or so and drove out to me in Anaheim Hills to get the work done.

I took some in progress pictures to show you how it looks like from stock to tinted and I also took some pictures of how it looks inside in darker lighting and outside in brighter lighting, to show the differences between the two.

Before:

During: Passenger (left) stock - Driver (right) smoked / tinted

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 08-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #199
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This is a return customer. He's had me do a couple of his cars in the past before as well. For this car, I blacked out the chrome / brushed aluminum window trim that goes around the windows for this black Mercedes CL600 v12. We went with a matte black finish for this car. It's a fairly big car for a two door, so the window trim actually covers over a large area of the car. In addition to the window trim, I also blacked out the chrome trunk handle piece in the rear. In this photo set I included a lot more up close pictures around the edges, ends and around where the rubber weather stripping areas are.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 08-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #200
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Even as much as I have seen it, I still think black roofs on white or lighter colored cars always looks great. Provides great contrast and in this case, it goes fairly well with the black wheels on the car. The owner of this white Subaru STI sedan brought his car to me to have the roof wrapped with my gloss black vinyl material. The owner of this car was also from around San Jose / Bay area, so he was fairly close to where I was doing the vinyl installs at while up in norcal. Subarus are one of those cars that could pull off the matte black or gloss black look fairly well. So even if the owner had decided to go with my matte black vinyl material, I think it would have looked just as good.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com