E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #81
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: Euro
Send a message via AIM to Don Nguyen
Did not get an e-mail.

This white Lexus IS350 dropped by to have me vinyl wrap the roof of his car with my gloss black material. Hopefully these pictures will help out those who have carbon fiber hoods see how the gloss black vinyl roof matches/looks with a carbon hood. I thought that the gloss black vinyl roof complimented the carbon fiber hood and other carbon fiber/black accents on the car fairly well. The owner of this car was from around Cerritos and came out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County to have the work done.

-Don
Don Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #82
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
I just send you an email again to donathon@gmail.com.
please check it.
Wickedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #83
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I had this new white Mercedes Benz C class coupe come by to have me wrap his chrome/brushed aluminum window trim in my gloss black vinyl material. He wanted to go with the gloss black to match the glass panoramic roof and to also match the B pillars on the door, which were also gloss black already from the factory. I should have taken the after pictures of it outside so you guys can get a better view/look, but for some reason this time I took the pictures of the car inside. The owner of this car was from around Buena Park and drove out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County to get the work done. I have a lot of guys ask me if they should go with matte or gloss black on their window trims, so hopefully this will help those of you out trying to figure what to go with.

Before

After

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Old 03-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #84
Bigjake

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
i wanna wrap my whole e46 in black
Bigjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #85
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I vinyl wrapped both the roof of this car and his window trim in my gloss black vinyl material. However, I am just going to post pictures of the roof done for now. I'll post pictures of the gloss black vinyl wrapped window trim that I also did on this car later. You can still sort of make out the gloss black window trim in the pictures, for those who were considering on doing both and weren't sure which finish to go with on the window trim with their gloss black vinyl'd roofs.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Old 03-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #86
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This time around, I went with a lighter shade than the usual shade that I have used in the past for when I tinted/smoked head lights/tail lights. I chose this shade to closer match a tint/shade that you would expect to see as a dealer or factory option. I basically would describe this as an OEM+ look. For those who are familiar, it's similar to the blackline tail lights that BMW offers or the Porsche tail lights that come from the factory with the clear portion tinted/smoked already. Hopefully you guys will be able to get a good idea of how this shade looks like on these tail lights from the pictures that I took. Let me know if you guys want any specific angles or more pictures and I'll see what I can do.

Left factory - Right tinted

Both tinted/smoked

Tinted/smoked - after

Tinted/smoked - before

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Old 03-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #87
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Here are some pictures of a new black BMW F10 5 series that I vinyl'd the chrome window trim with my matte black material to resemble the BMW factory shadowline trim look. I had some people ask for some closer up pictures of the wrap around the edges, so here they are. Let me know if you guys have any questions or other picture requests.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Old 03-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #88
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I had some requests for some more eye level angles, so I mixed those in with some of the higher angle ones to help you guys better visualize what it looks like. I usually get a lot of white and black cars coming by to get vinyl work done, so it's always different when other colored cars come by to get some vinyl work done. I think this is probably the second or third yellow car that I have had come by. The owner of this car was from around Cerritos and came out to me in Anaheim Hills to get the vinyl work done. We went with the gloss black to match the lips/finish on the wheels.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Old 03-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #89
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

How much of a difference does blacking out your chrome window trim make?

This much of a difference.

After:

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Old 03-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #90
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This is not a car that I personally worked on. This car belongs to one of my customers that installed the vinyl wrap himself for his roof. I asked him for these pictures, because this is the flat black material, which is not to be confused with the matte black that you see in all of my other pictures. I've had this flat black material for a while now, but I never had requests for it, so I never got around to using it myself.

I don't have many pictures of it, but hopefully these will be enough to sort of give you guys an idea of how it looks like on a car.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Old 03-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #91
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Here is a black BMW E90 335i that I vinyl wrapped the roof with the 3M di-noc carbon fiber material. The owner of this car was from around the LA area and drove out to me in Orange County to have the vinyl work done. I had also vinyl wrapped his window trim in matte black a while back as well. It's not very noticeable in the pictures, but the mirror caps were real carbon fiber, as a reference point for how the vinyl compares to real carbon.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 04-09-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #92
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I always enjoy getting new cars that have just come out coming by to get vinyl work done. It's like the dealership's showroom is coming to me, instead of me going to it, haha. I had this gray/silver new Audi A7 come by to have me vinyl wrap the chrome/brushed aluminum window trim with a matte black finish, which gave it a very nice touch. Matte black was definitely a good choice over gloss black for this car and color combo imo. I wish I had taken some before pictures of this car, to show the before/after, since the chrome dominated such a large area on this car. However, I think I forgot my camera that day or it ran out of batteries. Luckily the owner of this car lived down the street from me in Irvine, so I dropped by to take these pictures and did some vinyl stuff for him at the same time.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Old 04-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #93
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Here is a more recent car that I did some vinyl work on. I got lucky to work on this really cool brand new factory matte paint CLS63. I did a lot of things to this car that day. Firstly, we decided to go with the matte black around the window trims and rear chrome trunk handle to black it out and tone down the high contrast between that and the paint/rest of the car. Then we went around the car and smoked/tinted out the tail lights, head lights, and lower bumper light pieces. For the rear tail lights, I only tinted the clear portion and left the red portion. This toned the clear portion down a bit but left the red nice and bright to give it a good contrast/pop in the rear, which also matched the other red accents on the car. For the front, I tinted the entire head light and also the lower bumper lights to bring their contrast down and make them in with the lower bumper mesh area.

Before:

Clear portion tinted/smoked

Clear portion untinted/unsmoked

Entire front headlight smoked/tinted, lower bumper light unsmoked/untintinted

Front headlight unsmoked/untinted, lower bumper light smoked/tinted

After, with everything done.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Old 04-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #94
Red3Series

My Ride: E46 M3
Send a message via AIM to Red3Series
Price to wrap an entire e46 M3 coupe ??
Old 04-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #95
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

What material/finish?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #96
Ballstowalls

My Ride: 05 e46 m3 vert
Price on e46 m3 hood matte black ? Just the middle or sides like these
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1333507721.254378.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	445071   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1333507771.804160.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	445072  
Ballstowalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 AM   #97
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I am assuming you wanted it installed and not just materials?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #98
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I've been getting a lot of people asking me about matte black vs gloss black and which would be better for their cars. Matte black is usually better on a more aggressive looking car. Most Subarus are able to pull off the matte black look fairly well, even with a relatively more stock-ish car. Either way, here are some pictures of this white Subaru hatchback/wagon that I did the roof with in matte black and also tinted his tails red to unbling the chrome factory tail lights. The owner of this car was from around LA and drove down to me in Orange County.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 04-04-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #99
Ballstowalls

My Ride: 05 e46 m3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
I am assuming you wanted it installed and not just materials?
Yep
Ballstowalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #100
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

PM sent.

I vinyl wrapped the roof of this red E46 3 series BMW with the 3M di-noc matte carbon fiber material. His roof spoiler and trunk were real carbon fiber. The roof spoiler was already starting to yellow a little bit, from the looks of it. You won't have this issue with the vinyl, which is a plus. The owner of this car came out to me in Orange County/Anaheim Hills from around the Los Angeles area to get the vinyl work done.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com