E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #121
Jets330

My Ride: scrapes alot
Great work Don. Looking to shadow trim my sedan, and possibly pillars along with the roof; black vinyl. Pm?
Jets330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #122
officer140

My Ride: 01 330xi, 99 TLR
This may be a silly question but do you have material to wrap the interior A B C pillars?
officer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #123
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: Euro
Send a message via AIM to Don Nguyen
Quote:
Originally Posted by officer140 View Post
This may be a silly question but do you have material to wrap the interior A B C pillars?
If you're looking to wrap it with vinyl, then yes.

-Don
Don Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #124
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Who said you couldn't modify wagons? Here is a brand new white Mercedes E63 AMG wagon that I vinyl wrapped the factory chrome or brushed aluminum window trim with my matte black vinyl material. In addition to the chrome window trim, I also blacked out the rear chrome trunk handle piece to complete the look. The owner of this car was local to me in Orange County. It made a big difference as you can see from the before/after pictures. Getting rid of the chrome made the car look a lot more solid and really pulled the car together. Completely changed the look/stance of the car in my opinion.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #125
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
!!!! I didn't even know the states got the e63 estate!

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #126
bmxpert86

My Ride: e46 TiAg ///M3
Wow that Benz looks great...defiantly pulled the look off way better than the stock plasti-chrome. Good job man, I wish you were local.

How much will it cost for gloss black or cf vinyl for my e46 m3 roof? Shipped to 11754?
bmxpert86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #127
seanrod24

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
Hey I messaged you on facebook, want to do some work soon. Let me know if your available
seanrod24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #128
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

PMs sent/replied to.

Brand new alpine white BMW 550i F10 sedan, less than a week old. The owner of this car had me vinyl wrap the roof of his F10 in gloss black including the side roof rails on his car. The antenna was painted gloss jet black to match the roof. This car came out to me to from Buena Park area to Anaheim Hills/Orange County to get the work done. I think the gloss black roof really suited this bigger body car very well, especially with the black trunk spoiler and darker gunmetal wheels. The car came with the sport package factory shadowline trim from the factory already, so that match fairly well with the roof as well.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #129
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Somewhat more recently, I had this titanium silver BMW E46 330i ZHP sedan come by to have me vinyl wrap the roof of his car with the 3M di-noc matte carbon fiber vinyl material for him. I think this is the first E46 or even BMW in general that I have worked on that did not have a sunroof, which was pretty cool. As you can see in the pictures, both the side roof rails were wrapped along with the roof for this car. The owner of this car was from around the Los Angeles county and came out to me in Orange County / Anaheim Hills to get it done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #130
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Again, this is the new lighter shade of tint/smoke film that I am using. This is not regular normal window tint. This material is designed to be used on the exteriors of cars. I tinted / smoked the tail lights on this darker gray gunmetal colored new E350 sedan. We decided to go with covering the entire tail light to give it a consistent finish over the whole tail light versus just tinting the clear or red section on this car. The owner of this car was from around Newport Beach area and came out to me in Anaheim Hills to get the work done. It's not often that I get non white cars, so this will help out those who have similar colored cars and were thinking about getting their tails smoked or tinted and how it'd look. I also took some pictures inside and outside, to show the differences of how the shade looks in different lighting conditions.

Before:

Driver side tinted/smoked - Passenger side untinted/unsmoked.

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #131
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this silver F10 528i sedan drove down from norcal / San Francisco to me in Orange County to have his window trim vinyl wrapped with my gloss black vinyl. Similar to what the shadowline trim would have looked like from the BMW factory. I took more close up pictures around the edges, corners, etc this time to show you guys in more detail of how the finished product looks.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 05-12-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #132
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Not exactly sure the name of the color of this 370z, but the color looked silver. Either way, I vinyl wrapped the roof of this car in my gloss black material. The owner drove from Los Angeles county to me in Orange County to the roof wrapped. The curves of the roof really help make the gloss black roof pop and stand out a bit more. The owner of this car plastidip his antenna in the matte black finish. So this is good for those who wanted to get gloss black roofs and wanted to plastidip their antennas. I believe plastidip has a gloss black version out now that'd probably work better.

Some of the plastidip peeled off/up a bit when installing the vinyl. Tip of advice, plastidip the antenna after the roof is wrapped, instead of plastidipping i tbeforehand.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #133
hizhinezz
Outlier

My Ride: 01 330i
Great work

Your work looks really great Don, truly excellent.

Are you coming up to NoCal to do install any time soon? If so I'd love to have you do it for me, but if not I'll jump in with both feet I guess.

I'm looking for:

-CF material to cover roof of 01 330

-I'd also like to do my chrome window trim... do you do CF pieces for that too or only black? I'm leaning toward cf if you have, or alternatively matte black.

-Also, I'd like to wrap a set of headlight eyebrows I've been trying to paint but never seem to get just right...Would you wrap in cf or black? Maybe matte black for the eyebrows and the window trim?

Thanks!

Value your opinion here as from your pics pretty much think you always make the right call re balance of meshing in with look/still standing out, etc.

For point of reference, installing to look good paired with ModBargains M3 style cf hood: http://www.modbargains.com/M3-Style-...r-Hood-E46.htm

Thanks!!!

Last edited by hizhinezz; 05-15-2012 at 08:34 PM.
hizhinezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #134
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I'll be in norcal at the end of June if you want to wait.

-Don
Old 05-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #135
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I had a new silver Lexus CT200h come by to have me vinyl wrap his roof with the 3M di-noc matte carbon fiber material. The owner of this car was also from Irvine / Orange County. Took some close up pictures around the antenna area and side rails, just to show you the extent of the vinyl coverage and it looks up close. I think the roof accented the silver color of the car fairly well, especially since this carbon fiber finish has somewhat of a silver/gray tone to it, even though it is the black carbon fiber finish. The owner of this car also wants me to wrap his hood with the 3M dinoc carbon fiber material and tint his tails as well, so once I do those, I'll post some more pictures.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #136
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this blue VW Mk4 Jetta contacted me regarding the clear coat/paint issues that he has been having on his roof. The original plan was to wrap the trunk, roof, and hood, to cover up and prevent any further oxidizing of the paint. However, I told him to just go with the roof first, to test it out and see how that turns out first before continuing with the rest.

Vinyl is only an alternative to paint, it is not a replacement. However, in this case, it was a cheaper option and better than leaving the roof to oxidize further. The better condition the roof is in, the better the final results of the vinyl wrap will be. The vinyl material is very thin, about the same thickness as the car's paint, so it is by no means a body filler. Luckily for the owner of this car, even though the roof was in pretty bad condition, the vinyl was able to hide/cover up most of the oxidation without showing through the vinyl itself.

We went with the gloss black vinyl finish for the roof to give it a more factory look, versus going with the matte black finish or carbon fiber finishes.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #137
hizhinezz
Outlier

My Ride: 01 330i
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
I'll be in norcal at the end of June if you want to wait.

-Don
Perfect, please let me know and I'll be there to get the roof etc done.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #138
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

E-mail me at donathon@gmail.com and I'll put you on my list.

-Don
Old 05-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #139
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This isomething a little different. It isn't a roof, but I did vinyl wrap the roof of this silver Lexus ISF with the 3M dinoc carbon fiber material a couple of months prior. The owner of this car ended up coming back to have me vinyl wrap the center of his hood with the matte black material and wrap the two sides of the hood in the 3M di-noc matte carbon fiber material. We were originally going to only do the center in matte black, but the owner decided to do this after seeing it on another car. The owner of this car came from San Diego up to me in Orange County / Anaheim Hills to get the work done. I think it really filled in the hood nicely and gave it a pretty cool look.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #140
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this white Mercedes E550 coupe contacted me to lightly tint / smoke the tail lights on their car. The owner of this car was also from Orange County and came over to my shop in Anaheim Hills to get the work done. This is the new shade that I am using for tail lights, which give a very light factory smoke look. I tried to take some more before/after pictures so you guys can better see/visualize the differences and how this shade of smoke / tint looks like. I am not really into blacking out tail lights or dark tail lights, so this shade is perfect to me imo.

Before:

Right - Passenger side tinted / smoked:

Before - Untinted / unsmoked:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com