E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
DDNPresident

My Ride: 2004 325i (E46)
Send a message via AIM to DDNPresident
Unhappy p0102 , with some other lean codes, limp mode

I have searched for days across different forums as well as Google. I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem. Okay...

I drive home after school one night and everything is fine with the car. No problems at all. I did previously have the lean bank codes. No maf code...

I have changed out intake boots, upper as well as lower. So not leaking from there. Double checked to make sure.

When I got up in the morning to start my car, it immediately went into limp mode. There is only one other time this happened, which was when i didn't put the lower intake boot on correctly and it fell off, but the erratic idle was evident!(They are all good now)

I ran the codes and got the same previous lean bank codes along with the p0102 code, low input on MAF I believe it said.

On the odd part... When I first start the car the idle is high, but what is strange is when I press the brakes my idle will rev back and forth especially if I just hold them. After about 15 seconds it will not do it anymore and idle seems to level out at about 700 rpm (Its a guess, but thats what it looks like)

I do not know much about cars in general, but I would have to think if it was a huge vacuum leak somewhere I would have found it! I have been across every vacuum line in that car, nothing broken at all.

Seals could be bad on some things, but I don't believe it would cause limp mode. Any suggestions? I've spent hours staring at this car!!!

Edit: I have tried resetting codes with the p0102 coming on immediately after start up.

Last edited by DDNPresident; 12-13-2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Added info.
DDNPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
DDNPresident

Well, not looking for a miracle on here but would like something to even check into. Looking for a positive lead from somebody who might have had same issue. Day off tomorrow, looking to get filthy with it.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
DDNPresident

Old 12-14-2011, 12:58 AM   #4
orient325ci

My Ride: Silver 325ci
I had this problem in my 318 which has the 2 litre 4 cyl. The cause is a faulty servo motor in the valvetronic unit. Quite common for this engine. I had it replaced by my local independent.
orient325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:14 AM   #5
DDNPresident

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient325ci View Post
I had this problem in my 318 which has the 2 litre 4 cyl. The cause is a faulty servo motor in the valvetronic unit. Quite common for this engine. I had it replaced by my local independent.
I have a different motor. Not too experienced with cars mind you, but never heard of that thing. Would it cause maf codes?
Old 12-14-2011, 01:16 AM   #6
DDNPresident

I would think since brakes use vacuum, it could point to a vac problem. But again, not a mechanic. Checked both battery and alternator, both in good shape.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:19 AM   #7
orient325ci

My Ride: Silver 325ci
Take the car to a recommended independent BMW shop experienced in your model. It will be money well spent IMHO.
orient325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:30 AM   #8
DDNPresident

Yeah I was going to do that but wanted to know if there was any possibilities of something else.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:57 AM   #9
DDNPresident

Anyone else care to chime in ? Just looking for crap to try between 8am and 6pm. Anyway of checking MAF. Car starts in limp mode. I've cleared codes and upon restart the P0102 is the first to come up without even going into gear. Anyone thinking bad MAF?

Sent from my HTC EVO using Bimmer
Old 12-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #10
planejane325i

My Ride: 325i
It could be the MAF, I would also really check vacuum lines going to brake booster. Also maybe a possible failed intake gasket?
planejane325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
DDNPresident

Well I'm low on money until Friday , can't take it to maybe smoke test it till Monday. I was going to remove my whole intake system and clean out the icv and throttle body just to do it. Probably needs it anyway :l

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer
Old 12-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #12
DDNPresident

There has to be someone on here who knows lol...

Sent from my HTC EVO using Bimmer App
Old 12-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #13
DDNPresident

Took a video of what I'm experiencing . Hope someone recognizes it.
Sent from my HTC EVO using Bimmer App

Last edited by DDNPresident; 12-14-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #14
DDNPresident

Last edited by DDNPresident; 12-14-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #15
DDNPresident

Bump??? Maybe?
Old 05-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #16
DDNPresident

Update: (If anyone cares) A new MAF fixed all issues on car. The (!) is off and the car is back in good shape. Idling problem on start-up is gone. It has been a wild adventure with this problem. Replaced CCV, Intake boots, VCG, OFHG to make sure the MAF was the culprit and it wasn't throwing a false code because of a vacuum leak. I can honestly say that these cars do all sorts of things when the MAF is no good. The odd part about this was that disconnecting the MAF did nothing in showing me my MAF was no good. The car did nothing even when I pulled the plug while it was running! I have a feeling the MAF sensors with the 6 pin connectors (5 pins used) react much differently then the 3 pin MAF sensors on older e46s when they decide to sh*t the bed. Car never stalled once when it was run with a bad MAF sensor. It seemed so unlikely that it was the MAF based on reading other peoples experiences nobody would have even guessed that was my issue.

So in the end, all is well.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #17
IxNay

My Ride: 2000 328Ci 5sp SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNPresident View Post
Update: (If anyone cares) A new MAF fixed all issues on car. The (!) is off and the car is back in good shape. Idling problem on start-up is gone. It has been a wild adventure with this problem. Replaced CCV, Intake boots, VCG, OFHG to make sure the MAF was the culprit and it wasn't throwing a false code because of a vacuum leak. I can honestly say that these cars do all sorts of things when the MAF is no good. The odd part about this was that disconnecting the MAF did nothing in showing me my MAF was no good. The car did nothing even when I pulled the plug while it was running! I have a feeling the MAF sensors with the 6 pin connectors (5 pins used) react much differently then the 3 pin MAF sensors on older e46s when they decide to sh*t the bed. Car never stalled once when it was run with a bad MAF sensor. It seemed so unlikely that it was the MAF based on reading other peoples experiences nobody would have even guessed that was my issue.

So in the end, all is well.

Where did you get the new MAF, was it a BMW unit and what was the price?
Old 05-25-2012, 05:47 AM   #18
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Probably the best pricing I have found - http://www.oembimmerparts.com/oembmwparts.html

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #19
DDNPresident

Quote:
Originally Posted by IxNay View Post
Where did you get the new MAF, was it a BMW unit and what was the price?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Probably the best pricing I have found - http://www.oembimmerparts.com/oembmwparts.html
http://www.bmaparts.com/ShopByVehicl...Sensor&mode=PA

Beats it by a bunch. Made by Siemens/VDO like the original. I saw someone speaking about this site. Can't beat the prices on things like this. It blew my mind when it came in. This may be on the odd side, but I took the ground shipping method and it came to me in two days! (They ship from Cali, I'm in Miami,FL) If you need it, order it. I guarantee you wont find it cheaper anywhere! (Considering its brand new) Give 'em a call if you have questions. They have great customer service!
Old 07-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #20
kshin001

My Ride: 2001 325ci
I have the exact same problem. Just changed the MAF that I got from bma auto. Still the exact same P0102 code. Anyone? I so far have changed out the intake boots and the MAF. Changed out the F connector and the two hoses (one that leads to the fuel filter was broken). Cleared the codes, even unhooked the battery terminal. Checked the connector plugs (3-pin) Still throwing P0102. Cannot get this figured out. Smog is due too. Please help.
kshin001 is offline   Reply With Quote