E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #1
BIZ323

My Ride: Miyagi
Send a message via AIM to BIZ323
Manufactured Spending

Anyone doing these types of activities?

I am seeing https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard/ is the hot one at the moment.

This is different from using your credit card to buy gift cards turn that into money orders and then deposit in your bank account.

Target Prepaid REDcard has a bill pay feature so you can load at physical Target with your credit card, then log into your REDcard account and pay it back off. Most credit cards do not show this as a cash advance.

Limits to load this card are $2500 per day, and $5000/month.

So you got that new amazing credit card but need to find a way to spend $5,000 in the first 90-days to activate the real bonuses? Here you go.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #2
stapler12345

My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6
yes, and those who do it on a large scale will keep everyone else in the dark. the more participants, the more it costs the credit card companies (i.e. more attention they will pay to the cost), and then the MS method dies. if you read about it on a blog, it will be dead in about 6 months on average.

anecdote: one time on an MS forum i mentioned how i moved funds via [a manufactured spending medium]. within 7 days, the strategy was killed dead in its tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:55 PM   #3
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
I had something really good going on with discover and my main distributor. Lasted a few months before it got killed.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
stapler12345

redbird is nothing new, but it was moved to the forefront after Bluebird, EvolveMoney, AmazonPayments, and several others have died. the game keeps changing, and it is best to keep everyone out of the loop. the only winners are the ones who keep the secret to themselves and the bloggers (who get the commissions). of course the credit card companies win, until MS causes them to lose, and then MS-ers lose.

Quote:
Old 02-22-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Ok, I must be missing something, can someone please explain this scheme and why someone would want to do it?
Old 02-22-2015, 07:07 PM   #6
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl, no roof
^ To get CC points for any monthly payments that don't allow for CC payments.

You use your CC to reload the prepaid card and use the prepaid card as a checking account to pay the bills.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #7
BIZ323

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Ok, I must be missing something, can someone please explain this scheme and why someone would want to do it?
Sure.

Various types of credit cards have various types of rewards. With MS you are using your CC for spending, but not letting the value of the $$ out of your control.

So what I am saying above is that you take your, say cash back credit card, and say you get $20 for spending $1000. You use your credit card to load $5000 on to this Target RedCard, which now has a $5000 balance.

You just earned $100 worth of credit card cash back.

So how do you move the $5000 off your RedCard and into your bank account, so you can pay your credit card back? With this RedCard, there is a bill pay or you can withdraw at the ATM.

Last edited by BIZ323; 02-22-2015 at 07:20 PM.
BIZ323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:24 PM   #8
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Reminds me of this guy
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/02/...ne-miles-free/

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #9
stapler12345

or the civil engineer, although this is not technically manufactured spending. it's just good cpp conversion (cost per point conversion)
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....ion-air-miles/

Quote:
Old 02-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #10
stapler12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Quote:
Brads a dummy. Making this information public and mainstream just alerts more people about this. In turn, the banks catch on and change the rules. Rest assured, because it is on AOL, Amazon, Chase, AMEX, etc. will all be on the lookout and change the rules of the game. What a dummy.
he probably got some decent residual income from his e-book though. once the normal joe gets knowledge of it, it killed it for everyone else.

Quote:
Old 02-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #11
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler12345 View Post
or the civil engineer, although this is not technically manufactured spending. it's just good cpp conversion (cost per point conversion)
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....ion-air-miles/
That was awesome. And now he's essentially getting paid to travel for that initial investment.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:06 AM   #12
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
this is exactly the kind of thing that I'd do
Old 02-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #13
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl, no roof
I need to start getting more credit cards for the bonuses. There are some out there that literally hand you free nights at hotels and stuff.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #14
Gatriel
Ami in Deutschland

My Ride: IS 250
This is like a mileage cruise where people load up on ff miles and then cash them out.

I've seen some crazy stuff on flyertalk where guys fly from LAX to TKO then onto Moscow then to South Africa then to London then to New York then to Florida then back to San Fran in a period of like 48 hours, and rack up stupid amounts of miles and mileage bonus stuff.

Seems like the same gig.

I think the danger with this is if you get stuck with $5k on your target card and then they turn the feature off on you. Screwed.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #15
BIZ323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
This is like a mileage cruise where people load up on ff miles and then cash them out.

I've seen some crazy stuff on flyertalk where guys fly from LAX to TKO then onto Moscow then to South Africa then to London then to New York then to Florida then back to San Fran in a period of like 48 hours, and rack up stupid amounts of miles and mileage bonus stuff.

Seems like the same gig.

I think the danger with this is if you get stuck with $5k on your target card and then they turn the feature off on you. Screwed.
In this case, I assume the greatest risk is that Target will no longer accept using credit cards to load your prepaid card.

This prepaid card has a bill pay feature and free ATM, so I assume you will not get stuck with the $5000 on the prepaid card.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #16
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
Years ago our billing/office manager didn't want to bother with renewing the firm's credit card. I told her that she could use my Alaskan Air Visa and just cut me monthly checks. That lasted for 2 or 3 years and we wound up with 270K miles. We just cashed a bunch in for tickets for 3 to Hawaii this coming November.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:14 PM   #17
stapler12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIZ323 View Post
Target Prepaid REDcard
redbird now dead since everyone started exploiting it. this is why i never tell anyone anything once i figure **** out.

Quote:
Good evening everyone, the word on the street blogosphere is that American Express is starting to shutdown Redbird Cards. The story was first announced on FlyerTalk and quickly spread to other forums and onto the miles and points blogs. Here is the image of the email that was uploaded to the FlyerTalk thread. American Express accuses the user of "repeated suspicious activity" by loading funds onto the Redbird Card and withdrawing the funds (via ACH bank transfer) "and/or bill pays equal to the account balance immediately following "Cash" Reloads."

http://travelwithgrant.boardingarea....ard-shutdowns/

Quote:
Old 03-15-2015, 10:49 PM   #18
tobe945

My Ride: Mitsubishi3000GT VR4
redcard resales

If you Google "Redcard Resales", they are now offering the Target Prepaid REDcard online for folks in states where it isn't available. Looks like a very legitimate website. I took the leap and bought one--will let you know how it goes.
tobe945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:30 AM   #19
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
sounds like a money laundering 101
Old 03-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #20
stapler12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
sounds like a money laundering 101
**things that the uninformed say

money laundering is the hiding/structuring/movement of illegal funds, giving off the appearance of clean funds.

Quote: