E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #41
tinman831

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWesson View Post
Couple things

1. no one said they were Real doctors.
2. They actually are doctors just not MD's(doctor of pharmacology).
This is an issue with semantics. Most people associate the term "doctor" with "physician", which is wrong. They have doctoral degrees but are not usually called Dr. So and So. Not sure why but that's the way it is. I've heard of some pharmacists wanting the title of Dr. to be used before their name though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWesson View Post
Pharmacists go through 4 years of schooling I think they are qualified to give shots. I'd bet they are qualified to give shots in semester 1(my GF was in her 1st semester of dental).
Pharmacists need to take additional courses, unless offered by their school, to immunize patients. Your GF is not "qualified" to do anything until she gets her diploma/license. Good luck to your GF in school
tinman831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #42
calledig1tal

My Ride: 08 328i
Send a message via AIM to calledig1tal
so do any of yall need to get rx's done in 15mins or less LOL

or check out the toilet paper

or take a lunch break

:[
Old 12-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #43
tinman831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngbinks View Post
I'm currently a P2 student in pharmacy school and fully back this petition. Pharmacists are already held liable for their actions. If an incorrect strength of drug is given the liability falls back onto the pharmacist that was working and they can be sued for the mistake and can be charged with a crime as a result, especially if that error results in a death.

As far as "now they will be counseling" pharmacists do that now as it is a legal requirement to offer counseling on any new prescription that someone brings in to the pharmacy. Most of the time a patient will deny this consultation and if you pay attention to your receipt at most chain pharmacies it will tell you if you denied the counseling or not. So the claim that pharmacists are just going to scam Medicaid out of money is just ignorant.
It's not a scam. Just another way for them to milk the system for more money considering it is already a duty that they are supposed to provide.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #44
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Signed, even though online petitions do just about jack squat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstik View Post
"not" real doctors...of course not.....

but how many times does someone go to the pharmacist and ask them what kind of medication should they use and how much to treat this and that???

those are questions for the "real" doctors.....no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
Stick to cats...

I personally know many pharmacists have greater knowledge of the risks mixing drugs. Many have studied the effects of different prescriptions for many years, and in fact is a duty to cross reference the drugs listed by a patient, and contact the doctor who issued if a red flag is raised.

Also, they are the people in charge of filling your prescription correctly. Ever get a drug that isn't yours? It happens, rarely, but it happens. They have ultimate control over most controlled substances, and are obligated to contact authorities when they see the signs of an abuser.

Think about the ultimate power these people have in terms of the healthcare industry. They spend almost as much time in school, and certainly much more time than a nurse, RNA and many other "healthcare providers", yet are not allowed to give advice, and have to channel all questions through a nurse, with little to no real experience other than checking blood pressure, pulse, temperature and asking you to take your clothes off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWonder View Post
pharmacist aren't doctors nor want to be called one...asking to be recognize as healthcare providers.

unlike chiropractors and optometrist

blah blah blah. if I told you that I am a licensed pharmacist in Texas would you believe me?
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #45
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
blah blah blah. if I told you that I am a licensed pharmacist in Texas would you believe me?
you don't consider yourself a "health care provider"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #46
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
I hold a PharmD and a license (still valid) to practice in Texas but I don't. I decided to try a different career field. I do renew my license when the time comes because going back into the filed is my plan B in case my current job doesn't work out.

originally got an engineering degree in California. Went back to school to get doctorate degree in Pharmacy. Didn't like sitting around in the office and dealing with arrogant doctors so I went back to my old profession. Don't regret it at all cuz there is much more room for growth and promotion as an engineering. recently moved from Dallas to OKC and just loving life.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #47
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
no I don't because of explanation above. beside, seriously ANYONE can be a pharmacist. you only need the license and schooling for liability purposes.

let me make this very simple and quick.

"pharmacists are nothing more than a middle man" and a person that "takes the hit" when things go wrong.

a. Doctors perscribe medicine
b. Pharmacist Technicians do everything to include filling the perscription
c. As a pharmacist I sign off on the meds.
d. the computers tells me what dosage the patient should take, if there are any conflicts such as mixing drugs, what side effects of the medicine, etc

seriously, 99.9% of my time as a pharmacist was just to "check the block." Some pharmacists just signed the paperwork without checking anything. Again, the technicians are the work horse and are more actively involved.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #48
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

Quote:
no I don't because of explanation above. beside, seriously ANYONE can be a pharmacist. you only need the license and schooling for liability purposes.

"pharmacists are nothing more than a middle man" and a person that "takes the hit" when things go wrong.

d. the computers tells me what dosage the patient should take, if there are any conflicts such as mixing drugs, what side effects of the medicine, etc

seriously, 99.9% of my time as a pharmacist was just to "check the block." Some pharmacists just signed the paperwork without checking anything. Again, the technicians are the work horse and are more actively involved.
you have the schooling and you are still part of the process
and i'm sure most people still turn to a pharmacist for advice... whether or not the pharmacist is supposed to or allowed to give any medical advice regarding prescription drugs
*shrug*
oh well

anyway
thanks for that write up... because all along, i kinda figured that's what pharmacists do
my friend who is a pharmacist says her job is ... basically counting out pills and sign the papers
so i always wondered whether there was much more to it than that

Quote:

Old 12-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #49
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
http://www.change.org/petitions/the-...care-providers

Just spreading the word...If you guys can take a min to sign this petition...would be greatly appreciated.
Am I missing something, they get a prescription from a health care provider, fill it, tell people about side effects or medicine interaction, then hand it over for money. That's providing health care? If so, the guy who sold me my last video card provided me with IT services...
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #50
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
Quote:

I hold a PharmD and a license (still valid) to practice in Texas but I don't. I decided to try a different career field. I do renew my license when the time comes because going back into the filed is my plan B in case my current job doesn't work out.

originally got an engineering degree in California. Went back to school to get doctorate degree in Pharmacy. Didn't like sitting around in the office and dealing with arrogant doctors so I went back to my old profession. Don't regret it at all cuz there is much more room for growth and promotion as an engineering. recently moved from Dallas to OKC and just loving life.
You must be doing "very well" as an engineer to ditch a pharmD paycheck. Do you hold a doctorate in engineering too then got a pharmD? Did you switch for a any particular reason? Extra 4yrs of schooling, not including pre reqs and 150-200K in debt to obtain a pharmD on top of your engineering degree.

For a professional that went through so much schooling, owe so much school debt, should normally have appreciation and be an advocate for their own profession...plan A or plan B. Would only be beneficial for you.

Plus anyone who has gone through the educational hurdles would know that NOT anyone can be "insert HC profession here" or "just get licensed." All HC professions get paid well for a reason.

Im not hating, but lots of things you say do not add up from my point of view.

Last edited by BruceWonder; 12-15-2011 at 06:11 PM.
BruceWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #51
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
You must be doing "very well" as an engineer to ditch a pharmD paycheck. Do you hold a doctorate in engineering too then got a pharmD?

For a professional that went through so much schooling, owe so much school debt, should normally have appreciation and be an advocate for their own profession...plan A or plan B. Would only be beneficial for you.

Plus anyone who has gone through the educational hurdles would know that NOT anyone can be "insert HC profession here" or "just get licensed." All HC professions get paid well for a reason.

Im not hating, but lots of things you say do not add up from my point of view.
no...the highest degree in engineering is a master.

I am not about the money. they pay was alright but I like doing stuff with my hands. grew up with a bunch of boys so I am used to getting dirty and getting roughed up by my brothers.

seriously...what sounds more sexy? being part of a team that improved on the design of the guidance systems on a bunker buster bomb or sitting in a clinic/office with high heels, slacks, and a lab coat?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by flashmeow; 12-15-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #52
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
Quote:
no...the highest degree in engineering is a master.

I am not about the money. they pay was alright but I like doing stuff with my hands. grew up with a bunch of boys so I am used to getting dirty and getting roughed up by my brothers.

seriously...what sounds more sexy? being part of a team that improved on the design of the guidance systems on a bunker buster bomb or sitting in a clinic/office with high heels, slacks, and a lab coat?
Good for you, cant argue in doing what you love But dang...all those student loans and yrs in school

and i noticed you named ur pics "douchebag"

Last edited by BruceWonder; 12-15-2011 at 06:23 PM.
BruceWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #53
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:

What environment? Retail, clinical, hospital specialty - ICUs, cardiac units, infectious disease? Ever responded to a code in a hospital? Surely in your time you caught a physician error - either dosing or interaction, were called for a consult by a prescribing doctor, or provided patient consultation.
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #54
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
What environment? Retail, clinical, hospital specialty - ICUs, cardiac units, infectious disease? Ever responded to a code in a hospital? Surely in your time you caught a physician error - either dosing or interaction, were called for a consult by a prescribing doctor, or provided patient consultation.
i did rotations between the clinics and the main hospital. i mainly worked in out-patients. the jobs is really brainless and it wasn't stimulating enough. now, I don't claim to be smart. in matter of fact I am kinda of a blonde (Asian version of course. i have a lot of blonde moments)

all i did was read what the computers told me and signed the paperwork. it was really borring so I left
Old 12-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #55
calledig1tal

My Ride: 08 328i
Send a message via AIM to calledig1tal
^ you are truly Asian American. get that advanced degree, then opt out for fulfillment. awesome!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #56
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

Quote:
THAT sounds sexy
need pictures

Quote:

Old 12-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #57
tinman831

Quote:
i did rotations between the clinics and the main hospital. i mainly worked in out-patients. the jobs is really brainless and it wasn't stimulating enough. now, I don't claim to be smart. in matter of fact I am kinda of a blonde (Asian version of course. i have a lot of blonde moments)

all i did was read what the computers told me and signed the paperwork. it was really borring so I left
Kudos for you on pursuing what you love rather than doing something for the money or because someone else told you to do it.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #58
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
why they are not even "real" doctors
Quote:
schooling is not that hard.
Quote:
the jobs is really brainless
Just curious - do you insult, minimize, and belittle people (and their professions) in real life, the way you've done in this, and other threads? I'm not a pharmacist, but I do know several, and know they worked their azzes off to get through school and take pride in their work and profession. I would assume there are folks in this thread that fall into that category.

Perhaps if you or a loved one are ever admitted for a serious matter, you should bring a release stating that a pharmacist need not review anything that is submitted by a physician. After all, "real" doctors will surely cover all the bases, and you wouldn't want anyone doing a "brainless" job to be involved in the care.

Oh, and if you have a loved one who codes while in the hospital, definitely bring the release as well. That way, the responding physician can use those precious seconds to log in to a computer to figure out the appropriate meds and protocol.
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #59
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
Just curious - do you insult, minimize, and belittle people (and their professions) in real life, the way you've done in this, and other threads? I'm not a pharmacist, but I do know several, and know they worked their azzes off to get through school and take pride in their work and profession. I would assume there are folks in this thread that fall into that category.

Perhaps if you or a loved one are ever admitted for a serious matter, you should bring a release stating that a pharmacist need not review anything that is submitted by a physician. After all, "real" doctors will surely cover all the bases, and you wouldn't want anyone doing a "brainless" job to be involved in the care.

Oh, and if you have a loved one who codes while in the hospital, definitely bring the release as well. That way, the responding physician can use those precious seconds to log in to a computer to figure out the appropriate meds and protocol.
you seem to have an issue with me since day 1 but don't worry I am not going to cry. Instead I will play this silly games with you.

1) unlike you, I am a pharmacist and don't need your rant and lecture how to be a pharmacist. usually when people lecture or rant on something they are normally a SME (subject matter expert) you have no creditbility and are not an authority. I am far from smart but I did made the dean list when I graduated in '04 so I am 76.0002% confident I know more about pharmacy than you.

2) BTW....why are you living in California? don't you miss the east coast (especially NY).
Old 12-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #60
Coldintake
Registered OG User

My Ride: Mid-engine beast
Wow so much false information here...

All pharmacists who graduate these days are Doctors... they are Doctors of Pharmacy. The hold a 4 year post-grad Doctorate degrees.

Pharmacists are the #1 most accessible health care providers...
You name me one other profession, where you can basically drop in without an appointment, pick someone's brain for all your medication information, and not pay THEM a single dime for their service?

Then again, this forum is filled with children, so this thread doe not surprise me...