E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
8-hr driver improvement clinic vs. online course

any difference? any experience with this? I got a DMV notice of requirements advising that I'm supposed to complete the 8-hr clinic and when I look at the lists of clinic providers on the virginia DMV site, I see them all offering online courses.

ps. hope all is well with you guys! long time no see...new job is nutso.

pps. have some serious driving escapades to tell you guys about...will wait until after all court stuff is over though if anyone has any reliable traffic lawyers that have gotten you out of a reckless driving charge WITH a bad driving record, lemme know! (at Arlington Court House)

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Ravi E46

My Ride: E46 M3s
personally, i haven't taken the online course, but i find the clinic can be beneficial sometimes. If you have an easy going proctor, the day goes by pretty quickly, you don't really have to pay attention, and the little "exam" at the end of the day is a cakewalk. With online stuff it's potentially shorter waste of time, but more frustrating.
The worst part about the clinics though is that (at least in my area) they meet only on saturdays at like 8 or 9am.
Ravi E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
FWD BLOWS

My Ride: e46/CBR600RR
Send a message via AIM to FWD BLOWS Send a message via Yahoo to FWD BLOWS
I find just going there and getting t done and over with works the best. You still gotta go somewhere to take the test so it's not really anymore convienant.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
fayraree

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWD BLOWS View Post
I find just going there and getting t done and over with works the best. You still gotta go somewhere to take the test so it's not really anymore convienant.
yeah that's what i'm thinking...only that I'm out of town 4 days on work every week...let's see.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
John in VA

My Ride: '00 Farngrün 328i
I understood you still had to spend 8 hrs logged in for the online class.
http://www.adadriverimprovement.com/category_s/63.htm
'86 535i
'85 535i
'85 325e - RIP
'74 2002tii
John in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #6
fayraree

yeah, online is still 8 hrs...saw a few links with that.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
fayraree

update on this...everything worked out fine, DMV accepted the test from the online course I did. I wrote it in person at a UPS store near my place on a Sunday, which was extremely convenient.

Question: how often can you take this course voluntarily in order to benefit from the 5-pt uptick on your record? I'm at an abysmal negative balance right now (lol) so I was wondering...I think I took the last one back in 2011; I should have taken it in 2012, too, but forgot to. I'm pretty sure 12 months have passed, but does the DMV limit the frequency of taking the voluntary course for the 5-pts to one per calendar year, or once in any 12-month period?

I've scoured Google and the DMV website and couldn't find an answer...will call them tomorrow morning...the online course customer service people (I called 2) had no idea, lol, other than their agreement that I was in exceptionally bad shape LOL.

EDIT:
"You may be awarded 5 safe driving points, once every 24 months, after you successfully complete a driver improvement clinic."
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#backonroad.asp

damn, I guess I may not be able to get the +5 if I already took a DMV-ordered course back in Dec/11. Let's see what they say...

and yes, I know, I need to slow down...which I have...definitely don't want to be labeled a habitual offender with 12 minor offenses in a 10-yr period

Last edited by fayraree; 03-10-2013 at 05:02 PM.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #8
FooFighter94

My Ride: 2001 325Cic
My Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
"You may be awarded 5 safe driving points, once every 24 months, after you successfully complete a driver improvement clinic."
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#backonroad.asp
I recently had to do this as well (I just blindly did the 8-hour class) and the instructor told me that the court-ordered clinic does not count toward your "one per 24 months." So you can still take one for the +5 I think, but you have to do it all over which is why I didn't bother.

Hope it helps!
-Koni Yellows, Otherwise hella stock
FooFighter94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
fayraree

Thanks bud, I got this email from VA DMV...need to follow up because I think they got it wrong; they said that the DMV-ordered clinic (mine wasn't court-ordered) DOES count towards the "one per 24" which I think is wrong...let me know what you think!

Quote:
----- Forwarded Message -----
To: XXXX XXXXXX
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:58:27 AM
Subject: Re: General Questions

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you for visiting www.dmvnow.com. You may only take a driver improvement clinic for points once every two years (24 months), and you are not eligible to take another clinic until 1.10.14 based on your clinic at Web Traffic School on 1.9.12. If you take your clinic on 1.10.14 it will reduce your point balance to -1 however, IF you wait until 3.31.14 to take your clinic and the point balance is 0 -- you will get the full five points for a balance of +5.

**If you need to respond to this email, please return to DMVnow.com and click on Contact Us. Your secure online form will be delivered and you will receive a delivery confirmation.**

Sincerely,
K. Baldwin
E-Correspondence Unit
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 27412
However, I see their point that if I wait until all my demerit points are removed by this time next year, I can take the course to get to the maximum +5 points in one shot! might be better to do that perhaps...not sure though. Or leave it completely and let the +5 come naturally in five years, by 2019. I don't think there's any financial benefit because it's not like I'll have a sudden discount in insurance if I go from 0 to +5 in one shot...
Old 03-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #10
FooFighter94

My Ride: 2001 325Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
Thanks bud, I got this email from VA DMV...need to follow up because I think they got it wrong; they said that the DMV-ordered clinic (mine wasn't court-ordered) DOES count towards the "one per 24" which I think is wrong...let me know what you think!
Yes I think this is incorrect, at least that was what I was told. As far as your insurance, I doubt the sudden jump to +5 points would make too much of a difference, you still drive a Convertible M3.
-Koni Yellows, Otherwise hella stock
FooFighter94 is offline   Reply With Quote